Couch to 5K support thread

No running buddy? No problem!

81 to 100 of 106 messages
19/04/2013 at 19:53

Kate is GNR a full marathon or can you do half?

Booky do you have a parkrun near-tis free?!!

19/04/2013 at 21:25

Yes, I've got one in the park about 5 minutes walk from my house!  I'm going to sign up in the next couple of weeks!

19/04/2013 at 21:26

Mostly I need to find somewhere to print off the barcode as we don't have a printer!

21/04/2013 at 20:44
Myecclecti, GNR is a half marathon, biggest one in the country
Did every one feel inspired by london mara today?
25/04/2013 at 11:41

I was in awe watching the marathon.  I couldn't believe when the men hit the 10k mark they were only 28 (I think it was, seems a long time ago now lol) mins.  I was glued watching their form! Oh how times have changed  I have a 10k in September so plenty of time to get practising. I'm doing c210k now and am on day 3 today.  

25/04/2013 at 11:51

I also watched the marathon in awe this year (now having a lot more understanding about running in general than ever before).  I remember that the women had a 34 minute first 10k time and this was slow apparently. Wow.

Definitely inspiring, and for some reason it now does look like something I can see myself doing in the future... thinking back to week 1, day 1 of C25K, that does seem very hard to believe.

26/04/2013 at 23:37

I could never understand the fuss made over a few seconds....I certainly do now.  Cant  say I would do a marathon but hopefully a 10k in September with a not too disappointing time.  3x15 mins run with min walk in between for me tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

27/04/2013 at 10:27

hi all. can i join in too? 53 years old, i ,m not a complete couch potato, more of a seedling trying to stave off becoming the full spud. I rin a bot (well slow jog actually) bur am trying to do one of the running plans - how do you time yourself if not using an ipod? Can,t keep looking at my watch as i,ll fall over!

27/04/2013 at 13:48

Hi Ruth!  Pull up a chair/bosu ball/balancy thing!

I completely get what you say about looking at your watch, I always found it tricky!  Is your watch specifically a running watch that would allow you to set the splits and then beep for each change?  That would be what I would look for anyway...

Or if you have a different smartphone then I am sure that one of the plans would be available for notiPhone phones!

01/05/2013 at 11:48

Hmm, my neighbour told me the other day that he had noticed something about my running (he is not an exerciser in any shape or form).  When I asked him what it was his reply was "you are a bit slow! you need to speed up a bit!....cheeky mare.  So, he spurred me on and I have downloaded the c25k+ speed podcast and will try to build on my speed.  He is right of course, I am slow, but at least I am doing it

Just wondering now as the sun is beginning to peep out a bit....do you all wear sunglasses when you are running and if you do do you wear special sports one?  

01/05/2013 at 21:24

I just wear normal sunglasses, I don't take my prescription ones in case they fall off my face!

He's a bit cheeky, your neighbour!

02/05/2013 at 12:09

Bookworm - Its where I live....everyone feels they can just say what they like and not just to me either...without considering how they make a person feel.  I felt stupid, he said it at a party in front of everyone, and felt like giving up but my hubby told me not to be so daft.

On a good note, another neighbour told me today that I was inspiring and that she might take up running! so feel better today and as a result will just treat myself to some new sunglasses in the hope of regular sunshine.  I wouldn't use my normal ones, they are mahoosive!  

03/05/2013 at 11:03

I did week 7 day 3 this morning, holy moly!  I did a new route on Wednesday which had some hills (not massive ones, this is Norfolk after all!) and it nearly did me in, I had to stop to get my breath, but today I KICKED IT!

(Knackered now though!)

07/05/2013 at 12:47

Bookworm-airhead, well done! You must have nearly graduated now. Hills are tough indeed! I have them no matter what direction I set off in (from home or work!).

07/05/2013 at 17:49

Thanks Sue!  I did the same route today for week 8 day 1 and I managed to get my breath back while still running so I am progressing, sometimes it's hard to see the progress, but I did my best distance today - 4.22k.  Nearly at the elusive 5k!

I'm glad I have flat if I want and don't have to do hills if I don't feel up to it!

07/05/2013 at 19:48

I would like to have a flat route.  I suppose the plus side is that after most up hills there is a down  I haven't run for the last few days as I have been busy and then unwell but aim to get back on track by the end of the week.  

09/05/2013 at 16:32

W1 D2 again today, started right back at the begining after a few months off so I dont feel under pressure or stress myself out and start to enjoy running again =)

12/05/2013 at 09:45

Hello, another C25ker here! I popped into this thread a few months ago hoping that I would be able to start C25k again. I started running in May 2011 and went from couch to half marathon but had knee issues that forced me to stop running last year. After an x-ray, ultrasound and MRI scan all came back normal I decided what the hell and that I was going to start running again as I missed it so much. So I started c25k again recently and am now at week 7. I'm also at a happy place now that I'm running again! My knee problems haven't gone away, but they've improved to the point where I'm only getting discomfort rather than pain so as long as they don't get any worse I'm going to keep on running and hope to get back to running a couple of 5k during the week and 10k+ at the weekend. Fingers crossed!!!

I'm meeting up with a couple of friends from work later for a run round our local broad in preparation for the Race for Life 5k next weekend. 

bookworm-airhead wrote (see)

I'm toying with race for life which in my area falls exactly at the end of my week 9! Perhaps I should just sign up and do it!

Go on bookworm-airhead, you know you want to! 

Well done to all of you who decided to do the C25k programme, it's not always easy to find the time or the motivation. Happy running!

14/05/2013 at 11:29

I think I won't be doing RFL, it's this weekend, I don't have enough time to fundraise and I've had to jig my runs for this week.  And I might be doing a long 400 mile drive on Saturday - all in all, not the most ideal of circs to follow with a 5k!

Best of luck to you Norfolklass.

But I might do the one in October - I should be back at work by then and able to get my colleagues to sponsor me...

I start week 9 tomorrow - was going to go today but I simply didn't have time this morning, got to collect the girl from school in half an hour and had meetings earlier.  But a 2 day lay-off is fine and I have been out and about walking and stuff.

I have been using gmaps and I'm going to have to extend my route to hit the 5k, which isn't too hard around here, but it's mentally a little daunting! 

Still, onwards, ever onwards...

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 11:30
16/05/2013 at 15:03

Hi all, have been feeling very inspired reading your posts. I started c25k earlier this year and got to week 3 (having repeated the first two weeks a couple of times). I then had really early starts at work and got out of the routine and just sort of lost it. Feel like a failure for not keeping it up but now I'm worried about starting again. Especially as I don't have a running partner anymore and I was finding it hard going to begin with. I really enjoyed the feeling when I completed a run but did anyone else find it hard to even get off the floor at the start? My boyfriend says what I'm doing isn't actually running and to be fair I could probably walk at three times the speed! I'm only 25 and 11 stone. I feel like it should be easier haha.

Does anyone have any tips on starting again? It's been a month since I've done anything. Would you start c25k from scratch or try to pick up again from where I was?

Any advice appreciated. Feel like I've sort of lost my confidence with it.

81 to 100 of 106 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.