Couch to 5K support thread

No running buddy? No problem!

101 to 106 of 106 messages
16/05/2013 at 15:53

I have to say that I find it hard to get out of the door.  I don't feel as though I am 'enjoying' the run when I am doing it but when I get home and see what I have just done I really enjoy it.  Usually that is enough to get me out of the door but I have to admit that I haven't been out for a run for the last two weeks due to illness.  I am starting to feel the urge to get again though thankfully.

Don't listen to your boyfriend on this issue either, my husband was always telling me to just run and not to listen to the programme.  I ignored him and just carried on with what I was doing.  At first it does feel like you are not really running because you are walking a fair bit BUT by the end of the 9 weeks you will be running for 30 minutes straight (ish).  The point of the programme is to get you to build up to running slowly so you don't injure yourself.  The friend that I started with could actually walk as fast as I could run but it didn't stop me (and she fell off the bandwagon at week 4). 

I didn't do it for two months over Christmas and when I went back to it I started at the week before I finished...so for me I think I had done up to week 7 by November and then started at week 6 in January - if my memory serves me right, the details are not important but perhaps you could start again at week 3 and if you find it too difficult go back to week 2.

I find the best thing for me to do is to get in from work (i'm lucky, work part time and get home at 2pm), get changed and go straight out for a run.  If I get my bottom on the sofa at all its virtually impossible to prise it off again  

As for feeling like it should be easier - I don't think it does get any easier as such because you will find that you are always pushing yourself to do more.   

I hope you do get out there again and most importantly get to enjoy the running.  Hopefully the bug will bite you and your confidence will grow again.  Don't let anyone put you down for doing it or knock your confidence.  It doesn't matter how long it takes you to complete the programme or indeed how fast or slow you run.  You are still running quicker than those that are sitting on the sofa dreaming of running!  Good luck.

16/05/2013 at 16:34

Unless your boyfriend is actually Mo Farah or any other fast runner then I'd tell him to back off - I'd be hurt and angry if my husband said that to me, it's not very supportive or encouraging!  So what if you're going slowly?  The point is that it's gradual, and it's about building up your endurance.  You probably could run flat out for 30 seconds but that wouldn't do much for you at the moment.

I think I'd ask him to support me rather than knocking my attempt to be fitter and healthier.

That aside, it does get a bit easier and then we make it hard for ourselves by pushing a bit harder and going a bit further or a bit faster!

And have you tried Zombie Run?  It's got a story which might help you with the motivation - you have to run to hear more story!

You are young and light, it won't take long for you to regain your previous levels and then there'll be no stopping you.

16/05/2013 at 16:59

Hi everyone, I started the c25k but got fed up with it quite quickly and just started doing things at my own pace.  Today I went out for a run and covered 5k for the first time so was mega chuffed! I did it in 35:47 which I know isn't going to break any records but for me I'm over the moon! 

So just wanted to say really as much as the programme is good I found it more important to listen to my body and do things at my own pace

16/05/2013 at 22:16

Thank you sycamoresue and bookworm-airhead for the words of encouragement. I'm absolutely over the moon to announce that when I got in from work tonight I went straight back out for a run. While it was hard going, I picked up where I left off with week 3 and somehow it was the easiest I'd found it! I think maybe I was in the mood not to be defeated.

Previously when I've run with my boyfriend and I've been trailing behind I've felt like I couldn't do it. Today I went in my own and just totally got lost in my own thoughts and it wasn't easy, but it was manageable and now I think maybe next week I can move up to week 4.

So chuffed!

16/05/2013 at 22:27

Yay!  Well done!  Bask in the moral glow of a job well-done!

17/05/2013 at 10:34

Fabulous.  Keep going.  Perhaps the break did you good too??? I'm hoping so anyway as I am hoping to get out today after nearly 3 weeks off.  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 106 of 106 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.