cycling as training

4 messages
23/10/2002 at 13:55
Hi all. I'm just starting out as running, aiming to do a half marathon in the spring. I currently commute to work Monday to Friday on my bike, totalling about 12 miles a day. Would this be sufficient as training for running? I know it uses different muscle sets so I will be going out running on weekends (Saturday probably with Sunday off), but am not sure whether I should be cycling home, then going out for a run of an evening after that too. Any advise welcome. Maybe a half marathon is too much to start with, but i feel my general standard of fitness is pretty good.
23/10/2002 at 17:01
Hi Doofer,

I cycle about twice that (when I can be bothered to get up early enough!), and don't find it does that much for me, fitness wise. My heart rate when I cycle is about 140, compared with 170 on an easy run, so I'm guessing that cycling might replace the very slow running sessions, as a way of getting the blood circulating.

Maybe a couple of short evening runs would help, if you can see where you're going!

Watch out for finding some muscles completely un-used to work though! It's easy to over do it to start with if half of your body is fit and the other half isnt!
Psi
24/10/2002 at 04:44
Cycle fast, or up hills, or in a high gear (tho still turning pedals fast - don't struggle in *too* high a gear), or all three, for the best fitness benefit. When I'm haring along at 20mph up a half-mile hill, my heart is certainly not pumping slowly, and my quadriceps are feeling the effort!

Clearly, cycling is not a substitute for running; however, it's good cross-training to combine with running. :)
24/10/2002 at 09:17
cool, thanks guys.

my cycling is commuting, so pushing it hard on the way in isn't really ideal for a non-sweaty day at work (there are no washing facilities), but I guess I could slog it on the 6 mile return trip.

I think I'll start doing a couple of easy runs at the weekend and step it up from there - I guess I'll need it if I'm going to be ready for March.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.