Define please...

what is a Runner/Jogger/Plodder...

1 to 20 of 41 messages
29/05/2003 at 09:55
Can someone explain what is the widely accepted definition of a Runner, a Jogegr and a Plodder.

How do you get promoted from one to the other :)
29/05/2003 at 10:07
All the same as far as I'm concerned.
29/05/2003 at 10:11
I am all three depending on what mood I am in.
Feeling fast, just done a speed session=runner

feeling knackered, just come in from a work, get asked if I am going to go for my little jog =jogger

end of long run or the day after a hard run= definite plodder!
29/05/2003 at 10:17
All the same as far as I'm concerned too !
29/05/2003 at 10:56
Like Annajo, I can be any of the three, depending what time of day I run, what I've eaten, how tired I am, what's on telly, whether there's an R in the month ......

3TL
29/05/2003 at 11:40
mmm, i think all runners can be joggers at times, but not all joggers can call themselves runners.

plodders are runners with heart, soul, sweat and tears who do the distance, but perhaps not in a paula radcliffe time

I don't think many of us are pure joggers here, imho joggers are people who have the kit, look great, but _never_ push themselves. (and only go out when the weather is fine, if at all, once a month...)
Flipper    pirate
29/05/2003 at 11:47
When I'm talking to my friends I'm a runner.

When I'm talking to other runners I'm a jogger.

When I'm honest with myself, I'm a plodder.

Oohhhh...how profound!
29/05/2003 at 12:08
Runner: I am a runner. I look down on him for he is a plodder.

Plodder: I am a plodder. I look up to him , for he is a runner. I look down on him for he is a jogger.

Jogger: do you think the Nike shell suit looks good on me?

Does that help?
:-)
29/05/2003 at 12:13
I want to know what's slower than a plodder because I thinks that what I am (though I am faster than a walker, just).

Runners are those super-human people who are incredibly skinny and run too fast for their own good.

I don't think joggers exist any more - they were the kitted up eighties people who looked the part but never actually did anything.

Plodders are the stars. They toil at their sport, give their all and enjoy themselves (mostly). They achieve unrecognised greatness - you won't find any gold medals here but you'll get lots of support, fun and commitment.
29/05/2003 at 12:25
I've wondered about this too, and have my own theories...

If you never think of a run as a training run, you're probably a jogger.- You run sometimes but have no real running based goals.

If you carefully plan for races and train for them, but then wonder how you can possibly think being in a "race" with the same people who come in first ( or even in the top half ), then you're probably a plodder.

I was definitely a jogger until I started to enter races this year.- Maybe one day I'll know how a runner thinks :-)
29/05/2003 at 13:44
What difference does it make.. as long as you enjoy/get a benefit from what you do?
29/05/2003 at 13:57
I think It depends on my mood. A good day, weather nice and I'm in the mood to get outside then I'm a runner.

On a day when been at work and not quite up to going out for a long run, then i'm a jogger.

Not wanting to go out and legs feel like lead and cannot be bothered to run far, then I'm a plodder.

Who really cares? Not me, its all down to how you see yourself!

FC
29/05/2003 at 13:58
Floosie - I tend to think of all runners as runners. I am a runner, though I wouldn't describe myself as super human and incredibly skinny, nor do I run too fast for my own good.

I also think that most runners would say "they toil at their sport, give their all and enjoy themselves (mostly). They achieve unrecognised greatness - you won't find any gold medals here but you'll get lots of support, fun and commitment."

29/05/2003 at 14:45
I think looking at these posts I must be a plodder.
What flipper said was very good and pobble that's funny I'll tell my country boy that.
CG
29/05/2003 at 15:50
sometimes I have
1. good runs
2. tractor runs
3. hippo runs
4. slug runs
5. slug hippo runs
6. slug hippo tractor runs which are just the worst !
29/05/2003 at 16:45
Jogger - someone that isn't into running competitively and is not all that serious about it.

Can be used by more serious runners to feign how easily it comes to them, as in "I just jogged the London this year, came home in 2.54".
29/05/2003 at 16:46
hippo runs????
They have GOT to be bad:))
29/05/2003 at 16:54
Bazza - it was a joke! I know everyone who runs is member of an elite group. I guess my point was that plodders don't take it as seriously as those who want to qualify for things and win prizes (like the glorious Paula Radcliffe's of this world)
29/05/2003 at 16:58
Floosie
i am a plodder in every sense of the word
and i take it very seriously indeed
But ill never win any prizes
29/05/2003 at 17:02
Oh God. What have I said? I'll keep my trap shut in future.
1 to 20 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.