Disabled and desperate

Over 50, Overweight, Life feels over

41 to 60 of 885 messages
18/12/2007 at 12:19

Hi Patttoie, just checking in to see how you are. KK is right , motivation is the key.  if you think you can do something, you will do it! 

Take care, though and don't overdo it on your good days, take things steady and aim to do a little more each week.  Remember there is no such thing as failure - only feedback    Do you have access to a physiotherapist?  I'm sure they could give you a program exercises you could do in your chair to strenghen your muscles.  What methods have you consisdered to help with the weight loss?  I've great success using Paul Mckenna's system so that may be worth a look - see the <a title="website" target="_blank">website</a> for more info.

Good luck and take care

18/12/2007 at 13:14

In reply to Yvonne M .. 

Typically I am just starting on my 'downward part of my cycle' ..  (funnily enough I can always tell when I am about to go 'down' as my spelling gets to be atroshus nd I mack lost of tpyos) heheh .. just in time to be 'at my worst' over Christmas .. but that's no matter as I am not going anywhere and I've done all the shopping I need to ..   .. I've long learnt how to cope with the bad weeks .. by stocking up in the good weeks ..

The 'heel pumping' I did on my scooter was surprisingly quite succesful .. so I think I know where I am starting on my fitness levels .. rock bottom .. no untoward 'extra' pain .. although I was a bit tender in the back of my calves and achilles heel .. although a few clicks of my 'pain pen' did wonders to ease that ..

Re: Physio .. no longer available on the NHS for 'long term sickies' in my area . unless you have a 'new' problem .. and on my miserly incapacity benefits I can't afford to go private .. one of the 'catch 22' problems I have is that I am still officially  'off sick' .. from 1993 ...  I won't work again .. but leaving me on the 'off sick' register means the Government doesn't have to count me in their statistics .. because once you've been off sick for a specified time you 'drop off the list' .. if I could be classed as 'not fit for work' I would actually be better off financially and helpwise  .. New Labour - "we care for everyone" ... NOT ...

Re Diet: Hospital nutritionist gave up with me .. to eat enough to be healthy I put on weight .. to eat to lose weight I get ill .. all down to my totally sedentary lifestyle .. but that is all going to change .. I simply can't afford to sit around any longer and be told 'you are too unfit to exercise, but if you don't lose weight you'll die young' .. doing as I have been told to do for 10 years has only made things worse .. I have nothing at all to lose and years of life to gain

I know it won't or can't change in a few weeks .. this is a long term goal .. but hey .. I have started out on the road .. "do or die" heheehhh ...

I think Runners World forum folk are just what I needed to 'get me going' .. thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read and more importantly post a reply to my plight .. you really are wonderful ..  and I really do appreciate all the help given ..

18/12/2007 at 13:40
Glad you're feeling so positive Patootie. You're right this is a great place for motivation and support. I've been posting on here since the summer and love it and miss it when I am away from a computer I think my husband thinks I spend too long on here, but I feel I have made friends even though I haven't met people yet (though I'm hoping to meet some between Christmas and New Year so that'll be good). I done a few races now, I did my first ever race in April - it was great. As Leanne said I also enjoy marshalling at local races - it's a great way to get involved and do your bit if you can. It's not all standing out in the cold, at one I was at the start finish sorting out the numbers for those registering on the day, so I am sure they would welcome you with open arms Anyway, just wanted to check in and see how you were getting on, keep posting so we can hear all about your progress. onwards and upwards. B x
18/12/2007 at 14:22

It must be sooo annoying when you need the NHS help you so that you can help yourself  - but they just see a) the problem and b) the expense.

Reminds me of  a TV interview with a lady who had put on a massive amount of weight having become virtually immobile wating for a hip operation  - only to be told she had to lose weight before she could have the op. Grrr!

Helping out with a race sounds like a good idea BTW.  And you are bound to meet people with lots of good ideas on how to help improve your general fitness.

Duck Girl    pirate
18/12/2007 at 14:52
The local council gym has a 'chair exercise class' that is all sitting down, for people who would struggle with the usual aerobics etc. Mum went once for work, & apparently it is Tai Chi type stuff & gentle stretching. It might be worth asking your local council if there is anything like that near where you are?
19/12/2007 at 21:38

well Patootie, if you know your cycle you can work with it

19/12/2007 at 21:45

is there an FMS Support group anywhere near you?

what about exercise in water, if you have access to a warmish pool you may find that helps a bit -just moving in the water doing some mobility stuff, walking in the pool or swimming if you can - even an aqua aerobics type class if you can manage it ?

well done for starting out - keep with however long it takes you

19/12/2007 at 21:51
Hi all
20/12/2007 at 10:19

Hi guys, how's it going?

Doing the Reading Half next year?

22/12/2007 at 23:51

Just a more few days to Christmas .. got everything sorted ..  took my neighbours Christmas cards round myself this year .. not easy for me as most of the homes have steps down into the gardens and then steps up to the door .. so 4 lots of steps for each neighbour .. I even found some energy to put the Christmas tree up .. and I haven't bothered to do that for about 10 years ..

Been very tired this last few days .. but .. still trying to keep up with doing a bit more every day ..

23/12/2007 at 00:03

Well done Patootie  best wishes for Christmas

24/12/2007 at 16:14
You are more organised than me, patootie.  Keep up the good work and have a great Christmas
26/12/2007 at 18:19

Don't feel you have to be better every day.  Better on each cycle is surely enough?  Sounds like you are going to have days when you can do less.  But if each 'peak' is higher then you know you are progressing over all.  Allow yourself to have really slow progress.   Just keeping things the same would be an acheivement actually....

It's taken me two years to go from being able to run 20 seconds or so to running 3 miles without walking.  That's very slow progress by most people's standards, but it's progress.  You have many more problems to cope with than me.

One thing I found really helpful was a 'spinal stability exercise class' basically pilates.  I have osteoarthritis in my neck and found that helped a lot.  I also have an exercise ball and found it surprising how much just sitting on it for a while each day did: maybe that's something you could try?  Once you can sit on it comfortably, move on to lifting your feet alternately while keeping your body still, straight and upright.  Well that's an idea anyway!

It's so annoying how expensive keeping fit can be.  I'd like to swim several times a week but just can't afford it (and a cool pool is fine for me!)

26/12/2007 at 19:51

I've looked at those balance ball things .. they do work your core muscles quite well (and mine desperately need something doing to them, flippin' floppy things) .. my biggest fear though would be rolling off it .. because I simply cannot get myself up off the floor .. the osteo-arthritis and fibro do a 'double whammy' .. my knees are far too arthriitic to bear any weight on them at all .. and my leg muscles simply won't move in ways that would allow me to scramble up without having to get on my knees ..

.. and I should know as I got stuck on the floor for about 3 hours this summer .. after several very painful attempts to get up where I was .. I finally had to slowly shuffle on my bottom all the way to the bathroom where I have some waist height hand rails that I could haul myself upright again with my arms alone .. blimey for about a week afterwards I could hardly move I was so stiff .. .. heheheh .. scary at the time but in hindsight it IS very funny .. but I have put in place some measures to help myself should I ever fall over again ..

And that's good thinking .. planning to improve each 'cycle' rather than each week .. because 'bad weeks' are just that .. blinkin' awful .. sometimes only bearable only because I know they don't last very long ..

I will still try and do a little tiny bit more every day though .. it's quite 'exciting' thinking what to do 'better' each day .. even my housework is improving because I have gone back to my 'old regime' of doing 4 very small jobs each time I go into a room .. even if it's only picking something up or tidying something .. it's an 'extra' job done .. and less to do when I get round to vacuuming and dusting properly .. so I am tackling more housework .. slightly more vigorously ..  baby steps maybe .. but each day a tiny bit further 

And if I 'flag' at all .. then a few minutes reading here in the Runners World Forum .. gives me a 'bit more strength'  .. because I read what everyone else is achieving with all their problems .. and I think well if you can do it .. I can at the very least give it a blinkin'  good try ..

26/12/2007 at 19:55
Hello patootie
26/12/2007 at 19:56

Good girl

I like your spirit

26/12/2007 at 20:30
Plodding Hippo wrote (see)

Good girl

I like your spirit

thank you .. but I'm afraid my 'sprit' has been sadly lacking this last 10 years .. spent far too much time listening to docs and hospitals and so 'putting off' doing physical things because they tell me not to do it, along with wallowing pathetically in my fibro induced depression .. but hopefully I've now moved on and 'am doing it for myself'  .. even if it is at a snails .. snail pace ..
26/12/2007 at 20:45

But hopefully i've now moved on and am doing it for myself ....even if it is at snails pace

Well ...Mick reckons ... Snails pace or not, least your doing what you want to do !!

And that's positive

26/12/2007 at 20:55

your spirit is alive and well patootie

keep going

26/12/2007 at 21:35

patootie

Yes we are all real people, some fit ,some fiti-ish, some try desperately hard to find it

Some of us do have real severe problems... my wife is a sick woman, much like yourself, not had a chance since day one really .. but like you, she has a life, no matter what, she does'nt give in

My youngest son Phillip now 19, he's been so ill, never even thought or expected him to live

Some fellow runners say ... Mick your doing well are'nt you, my reply is , just like you Jan , i've been through almightly HELL getting there

There are few in life that really can comprehend how we do get there, they really do mean well, even my neighbours and family have NO idea, as much as they think they do

ME Mick myself...

I am so very , very lucky and i know it, extemely good health, extreme fitness levels, but mentally low at times.... it's hard to find time for myself, i always seem to be worrying about my family

But for you Jan- patootie

We are all here for you, to listen and help where ever possible

feel free to shout, holler, scream, winge , whine what ever

i just feel that one or two on here are better at wording things than me that's all

i''m better at the physcical, and mental and runnig and nutrician side of things, but even then i have trouble wording it

Wishing you plenty of of positive vibes and you winning

Mick  ( phil says hi )   xxx

41 to 60 of 885 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.