disappointed by first race - was I unlucky or am I just too slow?

21 to 28 of 28 messages
22/05/2012 at 11:15

Jane - pleased to see you stuck with it and had a better experience second time round.
A few thoughts .. maybe weather is a big factor? I suspect more of the 'slower' runners will drop out if bad weather than the faster club / very competitive runners?
I tend to think of events as runs, rather than races? In reality the only things I'm racing are me and the clock - I'm nowhere near the sharp end.
Some runs are chatty and I run some parts with a few others, some runs I'm on my own - or following the same person for a few miles without ever getting close.
And all of them, for me, the real 'fun' and feel good is either chatting before the start, or after the finish, rarely during the run. 

22/05/2012 at 16:41

Thanks for the comments.

Mick, I see what you are saying about the 'fun' element. Although I have to say I really did enjoy the first 6km of the race on Sunday. I had a couple of quick exchanges with a few people, but it was more the feeling of being part of something which other people were also doing. Maybe as/if I improve this will become less important to me, but for the moment I think I'll look for similar events. I did like the whole feeling of the run, and certainly wasn't thinking of it as racing anything other than the clock. I really see what you mean there.

It's good to hear you don't think a half is beyond me. I know I'd be slow, but my stamina is fairly good. I've had a look at the Engligh one in Warrington, although I'm slightly put off by the fact the first half is uphill.

Flo Po - you say my speed will improve as I up my distance. Do you think it is best to focus on increasing distance for the moment rather than trying to do anything specifically about my speed? My vague plan was to keep with the 2 short runs each week (about an hour each, usually one with some sprints or hills) and gradually increase the distance of the long run at the weekend until I'm running for 2.5 hours fairly comfortably. But i wasn't sure if I needed to be more structured on speed work.

Victoria - Good Luck!

23/05/2012 at 21:49

I am no expert but what you have planned sounds sensible the long run should be nice and easy and save your effort for your shorter ones.

Maybe you could print off a plan for a half, if you do it on smart coach on here you can make it as long as you want depending on when the event is.

One good think about doing a tougher half first is the guarenteed P.B next time

23/05/2012 at 22:43

Thanks. I'll look at those plans.

Gyraffe    pirate
24/05/2012 at 12:09

Well done Jane. Really glad to hear you're still enjoying running. Onwards and upwards.

24/05/2012 at 22:36

I just joined a running club!

Well, they describe themselves as a jogging group. I went along tonight, and the slow group seemed to run exactly at my pace. Maybe they slowed a little for me, but I didn't struggle to keep up (we did about 7 km in about 55 mins).

More importantly it was a lot of fun.

25/05/2012 at 11:56

the way I look at it, you managed to finish. In my eyes thats pretty good. Had my first race the other day and came 209 out of 260. However I loved it. Yes I am slow but the only person I was racing against was myself. I'm never going to win a race ever ever ever. But I enjoy the day learn from it and sign up to the next one. Im doing a 10K next week. I'll be at the back as I am looking at about 55 minutes. However all i'm thinking is turn up enjoy it, chat with like minded people, get me medal go home and think great another one under my belt

I dont think you can ever be too slow, the fact that you are there and doing it thats all that matters I know the quick ones will perhaps disagree with what I said but only 1 person out of possibly hundreds can win the rest take part. I'm happy with taking part

25/05/2012 at 18:44

Good advice, and good luck with your run next week. 55mins sounds pretty good to me. Hope you enjoy it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.