Do I need to do dynamic stretching at this pace / level?

6 messages
28/04/2014 at 16:22

Hi,

Short-time lurker, first-time poster... 

I've just started a c25k programme; should I be doing dynamic stretching before starting the day's training, or is that something for rather faster runners? I'm currently doing a five-minute warm-up walk and that's about it.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Best wishes

Jo

cougie    pirate
28/04/2014 at 16:31
I've never really stretched and I'm fine for it - but I thought the current thinking was stretching after the run - not before ?

Unless I missed an article and we're back to before running ?
28/04/2014 at 17:53
The articles I've read seem to suggest dynamic stretching before working out and static stretching afterwards. Does a slow coach like me need to do anything more than a brisk walk before commencing the day's walk / run intervals? Or is dynamic stretching more for speedsters?
28/04/2014 at 21:26
Dynamic stretching before is better and static after -

Once warm and done some dynamic stretching then a jog and static stuff is fine

Any ability is fine and it's about preparing the muscles and legs etc in the same way.

If you static stretch first - you open yourself to straining a muscle which is tight and had restricted blood flow to it!
28/04/2014 at 22:44

Just walk for a minute or two before you start, at c25k it is probably sufficient, as long as you aren't trying to run at breakneck speed. 

01/05/2014 at 11:36

Nowt wrong with getting into good habits straight away. Also if you do walking backward lunges, this will 'activate' your glutes. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.