Does anyone else NOT want to run a marathon?!

41 to 54 of 54 messages
19/04/2013 at 13:06

I do wish everyone the very best of luck and freshest of legs for Sunday.

I have been looking at speed Vs distance and I think my first post-C25k thing will be to improve times.  

I think I'll start with adding a 4th run day to my week which will be Parkrun on a Saturday and then I can work on improving times...

Thanks for your input/advice everyone, it's really made me think!

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 13:07
K80
19/04/2013 at 13:23
Run Wales wrote (see)

You're at the "cannabis" end of running right now.  It feels good.

You're in control. It seems impossible that you'd ever want to progress to the cocaine and heroine end of the spectrum. And even if you did, you think you have the willpower to resist.

We've all been there.

Get back on the couch. Now.  Before it's too late.

This is so true.

I'm going through the mood swings of withdrawal due to groin strain

19/04/2013 at 13:28
Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

I'm in the longer is better club

Allegedly, that's what your wife said too 

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

19/04/2013 at 13:34
I used to say I never wanted to run a marathon, and I am training for one in August. Whilst I train I think I should have stuck with half's as they are a lot easier and less demanding! But they don't challenge me which is why I took the next step!
19/04/2013 at 15:19
Tenjiso wrote (see)
Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

I had to really push my wife into doing one..

Did she run on behalf of "Women's Aid" by any chance?  

LMFAO...

Seriously, it's all down to personal perferance. I think it was Chris Brasher who said that 5k is like being burnt with a match and marathons are like being roasted alive. Think he was referring to short, sharp pain v long lingering pain

19/04/2013 at 15:30

I grew up wanting to do marathons as my dad did them. I love doing them. I find it much harder and less enjoyable doing a 5k, I'm just not cut out for speedwork whereas I can merrily plod along in a marathon.

19/04/2013 at 15:33

^^^ Oh God, I've just realised what I said... No offence intended...

24/04/2013 at 13:05

I have completed two half marathons this year with two more to come. I am fairly new to running (circa 1 1/2 years) and I can honestly say I have no intention of ever running a marathon

25/04/2013 at 16:05

It's funny, I am full of admiration for people that do them, but apart from not wanting to, I just don't think I could - not in a lack of self-belief way, just realistically dealing with the prep and the post-race care, I really don't think it's in me.  I've read up about all the things to do before and after race day and it feels painful, it makes me wince just reading it!

I might one day be tempted to a half - possibly, maybe, perhaps...

But I am very interested in doing 5k and maybe 10k and improving at those, so perhaps I'll find they're my distance.  I've already mapped my distance to work which is 7.5k, a bit out of my league at the moment, but I could get into cycling that distance for cross-training. It was always my intention to bike it, and I nagged them into getting a ladies' shower and a bike shelter so I really ought to use them!

25/04/2013 at 18:15

I used to have no interest in doing any races at all, and just liked going outside for a 5-8k run at whatever pace I felt like more or less every day, for fun and to use up energy. I didn't want to have to bother thinking about different kinds of training, schedules, etc.

Now I love doing races because I'm competitive and I quite like the focus of having a training plan to follow, and I've just done my first marathon (it had not occurred to me before last year that I would want to do one). But it is quite a different thing, and I like the just running around a bit outside and using my body approach too.

The other thing that occurs to me is that I think 5k races are hard too because of having to run faster. But for some relative beginners if they have put a lot of work in to building up to 5k, and they are not likely to be very fast anyway for a while, then it does seem logical that 10k and then a half marathon seem like the same kinds of target.

28/04/2013 at 22:48

Did anyone ever think less of Michael Johnson because he never stepped up to 800m ?

I started running in 2002; I've done 10 half marathons, and love the distance. I enjoy 10ks too, and love parkrun, but the half marathons are the challenges I relish.

I have no desire to do a marathon (But respect and admire those who do. A friend of mine ran a PB in Boston and then did London too. Another set a PB in London last week, then smashed it in Sunderland this morning !)

I once said I would never do a marathon, but was rebuked by a running friend. "Never say never" I was told. To appease him, I said I would do one when Sunderland (his team) do the Premiership/Champions League double. He lost a battle with cancer last year, but just in case he's watching, I'll make good that promise if I ever need to. I think I should be OK though.

29/04/2013 at 08:02

They are going to survive in the premier league and beat Newcastle 3-0 for most that probably equates to a better double.... Better start lacing up your trainers...  

29/04/2013 at 15:50

I have only been running since last summer, and did first my (very slow) Half last weekend. I honestly have no desire to ever run 26.2. I do want to improve on my Half time, but that's enough of a goal for me. 

This may partly be influenced by the fact that I have power walked 26.2, twice, and I still remember how utterly boring it was between miles 19 and 24! Also, being such a slow runner, I could be out there for days trying to run a marathon 

22/05/2013 at 20:12

Even when I was a keen 10K racer I never had the urge to run much further than that, and now, after a 17 year break from running (and just starting the Couch25K) my interests haven't changed. My goal at the moment is to survive the Race for Life 5K in July wearing my VFFs, then I'll aim for 10Ks. Fell running interests me far more than marathons.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 54 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.