don't know what to do

7 messages
29/05/2003 at 18:14
Went out for 'day 2, week 8' (or something) of RW 'Run an hour in 12 weeks (or something) - run 20 mins, run/walk 10 mins, run 15 mins - last night. Managed it, but today, just walking up the stairs makes my legs feel like jelly. 'Rest', you say, yes, I say, but my theory was, do day three tommorrow - 'run 40 mins' and then do R4L on Sunday (and I really wanted to run it all, this would be the first time ever for me to run a whole 5k). 'Stop showing off and chill out' you say - but I've become a bit superstitious - if I don't stick to the programme I'll never be able to run again. If my legs feel like jelly today, will they feel even more like jelly on Saturday if I run on Friday so I won't be able to do it on Sunday? If I don't do anything until Sunday will I be jinxed? I know I am a sad individual, but it took me so long to get the hang of this, I don't want to lose it
29/05/2003 at 18:16
this is normal before any race. You have to relax!

whats your goal, to demotivare yourself completely, or to get into a hobby which will keep you fit and happy

REST

Youve done your best
now just enjoty the race
good luck!
oh, and we want to know how you get on
WildWill    pirate
29/05/2003 at 18:18
Recovery is important listen to your boddy - training programmes are not ment to be cast in stone

If needs must, you can repeat week 8 next week

Listen to your body it pays in the long run (pun intended)
S G
29/05/2003 at 18:35
For god's sake rest! Sorry to shout but I didn't listen to my body in week 5 and that cost me 2 weeks to get back to where I was.

I didn't injure myself but it sure dented my motivation and confidence...so please, please don't do what I did...it hurts more than your bruised ego, I can vouch for that!

Now I always run one day, rest the next and so on, 4 times a week... it's hard because I have to REALLY reign enthusiasm that I can actually truly run for more than 5 feet and coughing and spluttering! lol

You WILL NOT be jinxed and I know that feeling too: you will do even better because of rest :)
01/06/2003 at 11:05
Hey Keeptryin', I'm at exactly the same point in the training programme - in fact I ran that very same run yesterday! Then I looked at the prog, saw the 'run 40 mins' instructions for today and thought "Bugger That!" I know that I won't get anywhere by overtraining - actually you are more likely to go backwards.

So ease up on yourself. You can always do that run another day.

Have a great time at your RFL!
01/06/2003 at 16:23
Keeptryin, I understand.

Being a natural-born obsessional, I too have the superstitious feeling that if I deviate from the programme, I will never run again.

I know it's daft, and that the programme is there to serve my needs, not the other way round.

I have now found a way to cure myself of this. I am currently training for a half-marathon, so I have found 3 different training schedules (one from RW mag, one from a running coach I met on holiday, one from a training website). They are all slightly different, so none of them is "THE TRUTH". As long as I keep to the basic principles, I can now "pick and mix" sessions to suit myself, how I'm feeling, work commitments etc.

Sorry. Long answer to short question.

02/06/2003 at 00:48
Go with the flow. Listen to your body. Schedules are only a guide. If you're feeling good increase the speed/duration of your run, if your legs feel like lead, reduce it by 5 mins or put in a couple of 30s recovery walks. Your fitness won't suffer.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.