Duathlon

The running bit

3 messages
07/09/2006 at 10:44
Hi, I am doing a duathlon on 1st Oct. It’s a 10 mile XC run + 16 mile XC MTB ride. I am fine with my biking and have tried a 6 mile run + 12 mile ride albeit with a comfortable transition of 15 minutes. I have now run 10 miles twice. I am not going to win with my run time but I won’t get lapped, if I am out for another 3 miles then I might !!!!!

I started running at the end of June. I have dropped half a stone and can't see anymore coming off as I am looking lean but I am stocky lad. The trouble is the 10 miles are killing my knees, I am weighing 13st 10lb now. Due to my knees I have been running twice a week. I have been building up my long run on a Wednesday evening (now 10 miles) and are moving my shorter run to the weekend followed by a ride up until the event. Now I know I am good for the distance I was wondering whether or not I should back off to 6 or 7 mile mid week runs to aid recovery or stick with the 10 miles?

07/09/2006 at 11:33
Are you running on the road?

XC is less demanding on the knees.

Are your trainers fitted propely?

Where is this duathelon?
07/09/2006 at 11:49
My long run is road/pavement. I don't get out until about 8.30 - 9.00pm. The last 3 or 4 miles REALLY drag as I have a long gradual hill with a few false flats.

The shorter weekend run is XC with a bit of road around part of my MTB circuit.

The duathlon is http://www.dalbeattiehardrockchallenge.org

My trainers aren't great. I think they are more cross trainers. Now I have proved that running isn't a passing fad I ought to buy some decent running shoes. I used to do a LOT of gym work and really built my quads up which caused my patella's to be pulled to the outside - years ago I dislocated the left one twice. I still do some of the physio exercises when its bad but my biking really helps my ankle and knee recovery. Used to teach 24 Step Aerobics classes a week years ago and never really got over ankle and knee aches.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.