Esendex Last Minute Sprint Triathlon 400m/20K/5K

Help?

11 messages
12/08/2012 at 18:04
Hi im a fairly experienced runner running upto 17 miles already with average 10k times of 51-52 mins so not quick, im thinking of trying a triathlon but only have a) a mountain bike & b) little knowledge of triathlon. For example can i swim breast stroke &/or will i look stupid or be miles behind? Anyone help with advice/info please? Richie
15/08/2012 at 13:56

I did my first tri last year and had exactly the same worries as you.

I put a estimated swim time of 15 -20 minutes so was scheduled to start quite early. There were many people including me using a wide variety of swim strokes.As it is a pool event you will have no worries about wetsuits.

There were many types of bikes being used from cheap mountain bikes up to high end tri bikes.

As I had a early start time there was little worry of me finishing on my own as the faster runners all started at staggered times behind me.If I looked at the finish list I was near the end but I had the satisfaction of being able to tell people I had completed a traithlon which was nice.

Go for it and enjoy yourself.

15/08/2012 at 19:17

Thanks so much Stringy i think i will, After the swim is it straight out in wet clothes & onto your bike then? Richie

16/08/2012 at 13:39

Yes pretty much, I wore cycling shorts (without padding) and then slipped on a t shirt after teh swim with a the number already pinned front and back (front for run and back for cycle). Some people wear an all in one suit and a tri belt with the number on which can then be moved either to the back or the front depending on discipline. You dry off pretty quickly.

I

16/08/2012 at 23:49

Thats great thanks so much for your help sounds like i will probably do the same as you i think. Richie

18/08/2012 at 19:22

Sorry another question? Do you have to wear a helmet in the cycling? Richie

18/08/2012 at 21:33

Hi Richard,

I'm just starting to think about my first tri too (but thankfully it's not until May!).

You might find this useful 

http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/?p=467

19/08/2012 at 08:40

You dry off pretty quickly.

http://www.forexbrokercomparison.info/kv.gif

28/08/2012 at 15:17

Thanks saffy great info thank you, Think im gonna hae to wait until next year to do my first too as need equipment & kit.

29/08/2012 at 11:03

Yes you will need a helmet but nothing special.

With regards kit all you really need is your running kit, any bike, helmet and something to swim indoors in.

You could spend a fortune on kit just to find you do not enjoy it or just use what you can have or borrow.

10/09/2012 at 21:21

cool thanks stringy

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.