Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

201 to 220 of 3,477 messages
25/10/2011 at 13:16

Like the photo Boo - its a great action shot and at last we can put a face to the name.

Coincidence about your hubby being in the background too.  We had a similar thing with my wife being in the background when they photographed my son at a tournament.  She had her hoodie up and sunglasses on so we didn't realise she was even in the picture until about a week later.

Can't wait to do a real race so I can get a photo like that just to prove to everyone (and myself!) that I really can run!  

25/10/2011 at 14:06

Hi all,

Hope the Cardiac review is okay Mal, scary stuff that.

Nice photo Booey, I know I am sad but I straight away spotted that the young girl next to your husband is wearing a quality shirt, I really do need to get a life!

Hope the club runs go well for both of you, I'm still too chicken to get in touch with my local club so am off out on my todd after work

Anyway since you started it Booey here is a photo of me from my race the other week :-

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/675403/gallery/me_running_0.jpg?width=235&height=350&mode=max

Edited: 25/10/2011 at 14:08
25/10/2011 at 14:34

Stripes that pic is soooo good  I love the fact it has caught you actually off the ground, thats a fantastic action shot

You will be fine joining a club believe me, you are quicker than all of us on here so you will fit in no probs......go for it

25/10/2011 at 14:43

Great picture Stripes you really look like you are going for it. 

Was that near the end or at the beginning?

The club thing is nothing to worry about as Im sure there will be people faster and slower than you so you'll fit in somewhere.  Booey is right too you are the fastest one on here so don't be afraid.

I think it would be full of real athletes but there are all types there so its not reall that daunting. 

Which would be your local club?  

25/10/2011 at 14:45

Correction

I thought it would be full of real athletes but there are all types there so its not really that daunting.

25/10/2011 at 14:55

Ha ha, thanks Booey, you should see the others. There is one where I look like I have completely stopped

Not sure about being quicker, think that we will all be aiming for similar half marathon times next spring.

Am still not confident enough to join a club thing yet, never been great at meeting  new people and still find lots of my runs are a struggle. Was hoping to get into a conversation with one of the club runners after the race the other week but they had all gone home by the time I finished

I am gonna take your advice though on the extra day. Gonna up it to four days this week. Think the fourth session needs to be something different though. Am currently doing two medium runs midweek and the long run which expands each weekend so may try a very basic speedwork session on the treadmill tomorrow. The information I have found on this site is incredible. Didn't know what speedwork was a month ago

When is your next race? I can't wait to do another one.

25/10/2011 at 14:56
Silvertop wrote (see)

We do miss you Boo - you are setting the standards in this thread so we look up to you!

That and you're the oldest one here tee hee!!

Cheeky

I nearly missed that

25/10/2011 at 15:04

Thanks Silver,

It was near the end, I could see the finish line ahead and was jumping for joy, thats why I'm off the ground

There are two clubs in Tamworth. The local athletics club actually had an athlete, Nathan Woodward, who reached the semi's of the 400m Hurdles at the World Champs this year, he is only young as well. However I am not sure if they would be any good for me as I think they are mainly a track club. There is also a club called the Peel Road Runners who do exactly what it says on the tin, so they would be the one to look at I think.

25/10/2011 at 15:10

Stripes I am following this schedule

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice2.html

obviously you cant stick to these things religiously, like changing rest days around and exact distance, but on the whole its going ok, have a look at it

Am waiting until I get my affiliation card before I register for any races as its slightly cheaper to enter, although not all races recognise it anyhow  have a look at my bookmarks, there the possibles

Edited: 25/10/2011 at 15:15
25/10/2011 at 15:17
So don't any of you fancy coming and doing the Silverstone HM with me   round the race track in the cold  haha - 11th March
25/10/2011 at 15:25

Thanks Booey, will study that this evening.

Would love to but have entered Brighton on 19th February and a mate has asked me to do Liverpool on 18th March, think three in four weeks would finish me off

We will all have to find a race that suits next Summer/Autumn and aim for it.

25/10/2011 at 15:43

Its a bit close to my Reading HM on 1st April Boo but for some reason Im strangely attracted to running round a race track.  It would be great to watch it on tele next time and say that you've run the track.

Im off to look at the HalHigdon stuff now - strange name isn't it?

25/10/2011 at 20:53

I am certainly gonna take some of that Hal Higdon schedule on board. The programme I have devised based on various ones I have seen in recent weeks is broadly similar anyway, especially since I have decided to add the extra day. I've got 17 weeks to Brighton so can up the distance more gradually as well as throwing in a few races, all being well.

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a Garmin as well

I need it after today, went off far too quick and struggled to get home, mind you I did just miss the rain

25/10/2011 at 21:37
Wish I'd missed the rain Stripes. We got soaked in the middle of the club run but it only lasted for 5mins.

Another great run tonight. Around 10k and I have to say it felt easy even with a mahoosive hill in the middle. Im getting to know more peeps and really enjoying the banter as we go round. In fact the solo running seems a bit boring in comparison.

We did some speed training by stepping up the pace every second lamp post over a mile lap then we did a mile lap at a more sustained pace. The hill is a killer but it felt great to make it to the top without stopping and even better to come back down.

I know we always go on about it but running is so addictive? I had such a rush to get there this evening due to traffic from work that I almost gave it a miss. I'm so glad I didn't as it felt great.

I signed up too tonight so Im officially a Chiltern Harrier! Who'd have thunk it 6 months ago?
25/10/2011 at 22:16
Great stuff Silver. Chiltern Harrier, sounds really good. Well done
25/10/2011 at 22:35
Thanks Stripes I'm really glad Ive joined. You should definately try out a club run.

Our little forum has spurred me on just as I was beginning to lose enthusiasm so thanks to you guys for all the encouragement.

Let's keep it up.
25/10/2011 at 22:45

Think we should too. As you probably gathered I am not so much a glass half empty person, I am more a glass is smashed on the floor person therefore the encouragement I have had off you lot has helped already. In fact because of you and Booey I have emailed the local club this evening, whether I actually follow it up is another thing

I haven't reached the lost enthusiasm point yet, sure I will at some point during the winter, its getting through it that is the test.

25/10/2011 at 23:19

Thanks, the cardiac review was fine. I can keep running and can avoid surgery. I have to have a review if I want more children and avoid deep sea diving! Do-able.

Stripes great that you have enquired about your local club too.

You're all obviously good motivators.

I liked seeing the photos, it's good to put a faces to names.

26/10/2011 at 09:15

Silver - well done on the club run, glad you enjoyed it  and joined up which is great and you get some races cheaper

Stripes - well done on the run even though it was a struggle after the quick start  I have a garmin and I log every single run I do, I use a website called fetcheveryone.com its great have a look

Glad you have emailed your club, once you hear back make the committment to go one evening and then there is no chickening out, thats what Silver and I did  am sure I can speak for us both that yes we were nervous but so glad we did it

Mal - glad all went well at the Docs

I went out with DRR club run last night, we did 4.6 miles.  I struggled at one point and had to have alittle walk (this happens to me every now and again lol) in the middle then I was ok again   I also paid my joining fee £5 and filled the form in so they said I should get my card through soon  

We had a meeting directly after the run and I didn't get home till 9.15, I had trouble sleeping then unfortunately so I feel completely shattered today

My boss is off sick today so will have to work till 5 so thats the Run England run out the window at 5.15  oh well at least I can sleep

26/10/2011 at 09:27
Stripes I totally agree with Boo the club running adds another dimension after spending a long time running alone. I was a bit nervous at first but once you start running you don't need to chat if you don't want to. There are regularly 30 people at mine and prob nearer 50 the first time so the conversation is v casual and a lot of people don't talk as they find it difficult when running. The thought of telling the people on here the next day made me realise I couldn't bottle out.

Boo well done on signing up. Can't believe it was only a fiver. I paid 30 quid last night!!!! Really loved the running again and getting to know people too do I hope it's a good investment.

Mal happy the news was good and you can carry on running.

Off architecting in London this am so will try to call in later.

By the way I thought Hal Higdon was some Swedish running style not a blokes name!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.