Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

2,761 to 2,780 of 3,476 messages
04/10/2012 at 19:31

I've just got in from work, to do some more... work!

Have a run on the tready for me Silver, I'm really missing the tranquility of a nice run and the satisfaction of getting past the pain barrier

04/10/2012 at 21:21
Feel for you Maam but it's a night off for me. Mrs S is out tomorrow evening though so I'm preparing for a big ol sesh in the garage. 20mins warm up rest 2 mins and then peg it for half an hour. I tell you what I've lost 3 pounds this week since upping the pace a bit. It's a great workout you know although I'm missing the great outdoors - the smell of manure, the tractor ruts you turn your ankle in, the dogs that chase you everytime and then poop on the lane - oh yes how I miss my runs in the country!

By the way - any of you lot know anything about Facebook? I registered about a year ago never used it and now have loads of friend requests. Should I accept them or will it cause grief?
04/10/2012 at 21:31

Sounds like you are having great fun there Silver.

As for FB I'm on there and it depends on what you want as to who you add.  I use it to keep up with what folks are up to and to keep in contact with some of my friends around the world.  I tend to ignore all the games and bits and pieces, but up to you as what you think. Hope that helps.

Ok back to the CV for me, got to be ready for the morning and I'm not with it to write. Bad news is my middle name, or is that 'doesn't sleep!'

04/10/2012 at 22:47
Sounds like a late one then Maam. Think I'll leave the friend requests as it could open a can of worms with Mrs S. Old school friends esp girls could be trouble and if I have managed without knowing what they are up to for 20 years I probably don't need to know now.

I haven't updated my CV for several years now but it is a pain to do it. Do you put a photo on there? We've been sent some at work with pics which I find really distracting? Not sure what's best with or without?
05/10/2012 at 14:57

CV all done and handed in. Job shadowing went really well I think. Now just to wait for the application to become available to formally apply Guess the headache will start again then Oh, and I don't put my photo on it. It shouldn't matter what I look like to do the role so not relevant, bit like dob and ethnic origin.

I get where you are coming from with FB, can be good and bad. I have kept threatening to remove me from it, but then I'd lose touch with some friends so good to keep and use as I want.

Drum roll please for the next big announcement!  Today at physio I have been on a bike!!!  How good is that???? To me this is such an acheivement in getting this far. They started me on a floor one, then to a normal style one which I still haven't got quite enough movement to use so stick to the floor one. I'm also allowed to try and use my stepper again The bad news is that it has made me realise just how much strength I have lost coz couldn't even manage 5 minutes on the bike with no resistance He is still hoping to get me to Silverstone though

Ok, now I'm off to finish the housework, make the beds, clean the bathrooms, cook dinner and get ready for parents landing tonight for the weekend before going to see a friends band playing. I feel exhausted just thinking about it all.

05/10/2012 at 18:08

I've just realised my RW training diary doesn't cover the whole of 2012, it finishes on 30th December!!! How unfair is that? I know I'm sad but I have still been filling it in everyday to give me something to look back on in the future when I feel I'm struggling.

Off to do some sit ups while smelling the food in the slow cooker and wishing parents could teleport here so I can eat.

05/10/2012 at 18:44

Hi Maam,

just been reading back, you were right a very entertaining thread, sounds like you're making progress, and I'm impressed with the crunches, I'm terrible when it comes to core exercises, I don't know if you read any of the other threads in the beginers section, but I ran the 10k on Sunday in 55:44, I was a little disappointed not to get below 55, but that only lasted for a few moments there's a race report in to 10k under 60 minute thread , if your interested.

I had a little mishap on Wednesday with my calf I was doing some intervals and I had just completed my second 800 fast while I was running down hill I slowed up too quickly and tweak it, I've been treating it with heat and a calf guard, It's still a little tight but not painful, I did a test run yesterday, slow 1 mile (12mm) with no problems, I'm just about to head out and try a quicker run over a couple of miles.

I'll let you know how things have gone when I get back, wish me luck.

05/10/2012 at 19:03

Stewart - good luck and brilliant to see you on here. Knew you'd fit in well

Yeah getting on well but that for reminding me I've not done my crunches yet, got side tracked with housework. Crunches here I come

Everyone - this is Stewart

05/10/2012 at 19:06

That is better, 60 crunches complete

05/10/2012 at 19:19
Hi Stewart.

Hi all.

In Paris for the weekend. Going for a run in the Bois de Boulogne tomorrow. How sad am I
05/10/2012 at 20:27
Paris - how cool Stripes - cant believe you're so committed to the running. Are you there for business or pleasure? Poor result for LFC last night - what are they up to hey?

Hi Stewart - hope the calfs not too bad.

Off on tready for an hour see you all in a bit!

Where's Mal gone again??
05/10/2012 at 22:55
Here for the big race meeting. May have a look at a few bits of La Nuit Blanche whilst I am here.
Thought they played well in patches last night. Think things are headed in the right direction.
How did the tready run go?
06/10/2012 at 20:00
Tready runs always good Stripes. It's not like running in the fresh air but it does really push me hard. Last night I cranked it up to 9mph for last 2 mins of 30min sesh. Thats absolutely flat out for me but I survived and felt great afterwards. My heart rate was close to 150 though which is v high. I read somewhere you have to take your age from 220 to work out your max heart rate then aim to exercise at no more than 80% of this for an intensive workout. 50% for a light workout.

That puts my 80% mark at 142. Last night I clocked 148 straight after finishing!

Enjoy the race meet.
07/10/2012 at 19:48

Hi all

Hope that everyone is having a good weekend. My folks have just set off back north so enjoying the quiet time.  Been on my little floor bike thing (parents brought it down as friend has one, like one used at physio). That is 20 mins this weekend on it

Been bit naughty with the diet as went to The Boot Room last night, but was good night out.

Feeling little ropy now though, throat is hurting just hope not coming down with something.

Got some new clothes too for work, bank of Dad strikes again Helps me feel more confident for trying to get this new job Fingers, toes and everything else crossed.

07/10/2012 at 20:07

Hi all!

Welcome Stewart!

Yeah - i've done no running or spinning since Friday.  Officially I have had a lazy weekend apart from the welcome home to my OH of course   too much information?

Silver - my heart rate goes straight up to 178 / 181 and neared the 190's during a tempo run.  My brother also has a high heart rate and although it gets super high, I don't feel light headed or ill.  Just blinking hot and like i've been working hard!  3lbs loss is good too! well done!!

Tripes - how was Paris?  Did you get a good run in?

CV - I would never put a picture on it.  People judge based on looks so either way - in your favour or against you, is not a good thing when it should be skills and competency based.

FB - I shut down my account.  Found it too insincere....and didn't want to be just a 'number' on someone else's page to make it look like they had lots of friends.  I kept on having friend culls then shut it down completely.  I've had loads more time since then....

Maam - hope its nothing serious re your throat - maybe just a bit tired and an early night will put a stop to that? x

Mal / Booey / John / Margrit / anyone else out there - hope you're all well? 

07/10/2012 at 20:14

Em - good to see you've had a 'lazy' weekend. Bet good to have the OH home, and no more info needed  Glad you're happy though.

On the strepsil to try and tame the throat but doesn't seem to be helping Oh well life goes on.

08/10/2012 at 19:37
HR of 181!!! Bloody hell it's a wonder you're hearts still ticking. I'm quite pleased with my 144 after hearing that.

Glad there's life out there at last as its been quiet on here this weekend!

Tready run tonight despite the fact that I'm tired, have caught my sons cold, and I've got a massive crick in my neck which has caused me grief all day.

Hope you're feeling better Maam. Glad you had a lye in yesterday Em
08/10/2012 at 19:42
Stripes what do you make of that Inside Liverpool programme on channel 5? I like seeing behind the scenes at Anfield but it feels wrong to watch the private conversations and activities at the club. The other LFC fans I know are not impressed! My 5yo started footie training 2 weeks ago and now he wants a LFC kit!
09/10/2012 at 17:26

Hi all,

Hopoe all well. I'm full of cold and feeling very sorry for myself.

Keep running

09/10/2012 at 18:17

Evening

Thanks for all the replies to my first post, makes a nice change to other forums where things seem to get lost. I have been running outside and went out with my wife the other day, we just did a steady run of around 3.5 miles but I just about managed it ok. After that I had a few days off as felt I had come down with something, aches/shivers. Got back on the tready last night and clocked up 4.4 miles in 30 mins, not great but Im still only a month into my new regime. Looking forward to getting the kids into bed so I can do another run, knees feel a bit tender but really want to work up another sweat.

Maamalade - hope the cold gets better asap. And thanks again to everyone else for making me feel so welcome.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.