Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

2,801 to 2,820 of 3,477 messages
11/10/2012 at 22:38
Hmm, I'm still undecided. Just done a flat out 30min run on the tready and only covered 3.5m. The thought of having to do that 3 more times makes me feel very nervous. I like a challenge but not getting round or being swept up by the losers bus at the end would be gutting.

Sorry your not well again Maam - sounds miserable.

Been in London all day today, meeting after meeting and then got soaked coming home. I'm so glad I don't have to commute anymore!
12/10/2012 at 13:53

Silver - just go for it, you'll kick yourself if you don't and you know it.  You'll be surprised how much stamina your legs remember and you are running regular so take it slow and steady.  I'm still looking to do Silverstone in March, if I can do that you can do this!!!!!

I'm breathing a bit better today so think tablets are kicking in, fingers crossed.

12/10/2012 at 15:35

Hi Guys,

Some good running going on in here both indoors and out, glad you're starting to feel better Maam.

I had my final run last night in the pouring rain 5.2 miles in 49 minutes, happy enough with pace but it felt tough, will be intersting to see if I can maintain a similar pace on Sunday.  Calve is still feeling a little niggly, hopefully the two days of non running and foam rolling will help iron out any kinks, anyone know any good pre run stretches for the calve muscles?

I'll try and get on soon after the race and let you know how I've got on. 

12/10/2012 at 15:42

Stewart - good luck for the race, I'm sure that you will ace it.  As for stretches I've always been told not to static stretch before running so not sure how to help with the pre run bit, all I can say is warm up well

12/10/2012 at 15:59

I supose I could do a little light jogging followed by some stretches, but as you say static stretching is kinda frowned upon before a run.

12/10/2012 at 21:32
England are pants aren't they? Couldnt hit a pig in a passage! how many chances has Welbeck missed?

I'm gearing myself up for Sunday and hoping the weather isn't pants. My boys got a footie game but I think if I stay in the good books and out of the bow wow house Mrs S will take him to it. Best behaviour, breakfast in bed, flowers - what ever it takes!

Good luck with your race Stewart. I'm sure you'll do well. What part of the country are you in? What's the outlook?

Maam I'm gutted for you still feeling unwell it must be terrible - keep your enthusiasm up it will all come good soon.

Mal, Booey and now Emma seem to have dissappeared into a puff of smoke - was it something I said?

Blimey Welbeck finally got in the end of a cross.
13/10/2012 at 12:06

Silver - glad to hear you are going to give it a go, good luck for it.

Stewart - go for it! Wishing you all the best Bonny Scotland must be pretty to keep you distracted, if not a tad wet

Ladies - I hope you are all well

As for me, I'm off to fill in another job application, make dinner, clean the house. But first a brew and a rest, I still feel yuk! This will get better, I'm sure

13/10/2012 at 19:02

Stewart / Silver - good luck with the races.

Silver - sorry not been about - all the nookie been keeping my busy.  well, ok - maybe not nookie but it made me giggle typing it!

Warm Ups - I generally use the first mile as a warm up, taking it easy - I don't stretch until afterwards..

Maam - glad you're feeling better.  You know how much I ate today - I have been a naughty girl 

Tomorrow I am out early for 11.5 miles (its the loop) and then next weekend my long run will be 8 miles before the GSR end of the month.  Looking forward to it now.

Now I have to make some cheese straws for my youngest nieces christening tomorrow.  om nom nom nom

13/10/2012 at 19:13

Ok Em - how many Cheese straws will be eaten in the process of making them??? Will there be any left for tomorrow??? After all you are on a rebelling day

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm still writing a job application and going round in the usual circles. You'd think it would get easier, but seems not.

13/10/2012 at 23:00

Hi guys,

thanks for all your encouragement, I'm feeling a little nervous if truth be told, but excited as well, Silver I'm from Inverness, captital of the Highlands a truly beatiful part of the world, I've been told the Aviemore HM has the most glorious views, I'm tempted to take my camera with me.  It has finally stopped raining here and the forecast for tomorrow is dry with a light breeze and around 6 degrees, so good running weather, but I'm under no illusion the course is going to be a tad wet and muddy, the first part of the race is off-road on trails and forestry track, then its on the road back down towards Aviemore. found this pic on the interweb of Loch Morlich which I'll be running around tomorrow.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/696098/gallery/loch_morlich.jpg?width=350

I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how I've got on.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 23:01
14/10/2012 at 12:08

Stewart  - All I can say is jammy having views like that.  Very jealous. Even my OH says views like that would get anyone running, and he really is anything but a runner!

To all those racing today best of luck.

Em - hope your run was good.

Boo - hope the holiday is good and that you bring some sunshine back too

Mal - hope all is well xxxx

14/10/2012 at 12:30

Wow Stewart that looks amazing. Beats the crap out of my usual route round an Industrial Estate.

Hope the race goes well, same for Silver.

My race went well. Conditions were perfect, cool and sunny. Felt okay despite not having prepared properly since I only entered on Wednesday night. Smashed my P.B. Got a finishing time of 45:53, problem was that my Garmin measured 9.78km. Spoke to someone after who said the same so I am well pissed off. Would have gone well under 47 mins if they had managed to measure the course accurately.

14/10/2012 at 12:37

Tripes - remember as has previously been said, always take the course measurement, it has probably been measured with a tape measure so more accurate than the GPS.  Good PB so be happy

14/10/2012 at 13:00

Hi all,

Still here but haven't been reading as not running. Desperate to get out for a run in the chilly sunshine today but Mr Mal has gone out for the day on his motorbike. I'm making tentative plans to build up my running again.

Thanks for not forgetting me yet!

14/10/2012 at 13:04

Good luck with the running, but remember to take it easy so you can stick with it. Your health has to come first x

14/10/2012 at 13:41

Hi Mal,

Nice to hear from you. Glad you havent forgotten us!

14/10/2012 at 14:44
Hi All - well the Oxford HM was fantastic - beautiful course, good organisation, beautiful and I mean really beautiful weather. The only problem was the bag pick-up which was totally disorganised and, get this, it took 1 hour of standing around in a queue before I finally got my bag - and after running 13m too! Good Jon my mate was with me as we had a laugh with a few people around us and ate cheeseburgers while we waited.

As for the run I made it to 10m no problem but then made the mistake of walking for a min while I had some water (I just can't drink and run). When I started again my legs were like jelly and I managed about half a mile before I had to walk again. Luckily as I hadn't eaten any breakie I had a gel pack and a load of Skittles which perked me up and after a couple of mins I ran again right through to the finish.

I think I finished in.......wait for it........ 1hr 59mins but this will be verified tonight on the website. I'm gutted that I didn't do better as Up to 10m I felt great. still I finished despite very little training and I think I went sub 2 hours but those last 3 miles were hard work.

A great day all round except for the bag debacle.

Now I'm off to eat loads if whatever I like!! Haha!

Hope your run was good Stewart and well done on another great time Stripes. Hello Emma - back from the nookie (it's a great word isn't it - puts Mrs S in the mood everytime!! Haha ) and hello Mal.

Stewart that pic is fantastic and sums up the reason I run which is being out in the countryside - I just wish I had that sort of scenery near me.
14/10/2012 at 14:52

Silver - fantastic run and bet you are so glad  you have done it after all the pondering.  Can't wait to see the official time Enjoy stuffing your face now

I want to do a HM!!! Silverstone is still on the agenda for me, just hope the body can live with it

Brilliant day for running it is proving

14/10/2012 at 14:59
Thanks Maam. It's a perfect running day out there. Keeping my fingers crossed for your Silverstone run. When is it again?

We are going to do a Santa Run in Marlow on Boxing Day next and I think I'm going to enter the London 10k next year too.

Believe it or not I don't feel hungry even though I just burned 3000cals. What's going on??
14/10/2012 at 15:04
Oops I mean 2029cals.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/caloriecalculator/0,7153,s6-242-306-313-0,00.html
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.