Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

2,841 to 2,860 of 3,477 messages
16/10/2012 at 10:55
Crisps are my downfall too Stripes especially cheesy Doritos!

Legs ached all day yesterday and I was knackered last night so I went to bed reasonably early. Feel great this morning though and even brought my running gear to work just in case I have time for a lunch run.

Well up for another half too as I know I can improve on
my time. This could be my next one as its local and flat.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=66085&ms=
16/10/2012 at 15:44

Hi all,

without further ado here is the race report for the HM i ran on Sunday, it's a little long so appoligies in advance

Aviemore Half Marathon Race Report

Pre-Race Registration

Arrived in Aviemore around 8am, the registration process was relatively painless, so with number and race tag in hand it was away to the buses to shuttle us to the start up at Badaguish Centre. The weather conditions were perfect, very little wind and no rain, it was however a little cold so I was glad I took a few extra layers to keep warm, with a little over 20 minutes to the start it was time for the traditional group warm up, and we were told to go and line up in our pens I decided to stand near the back in the sub 2:15 area, from there we were walked to the start line, a little over 400 metres away and before we knew it we were off!

The Race

The first mile started on the trail leading through Glenmore forest, gently climbing for around half a mile, I settled into a comfortable pace straight away and soon found myself overtaking people at ease, a fellow runner darted into the tree line for a call of nature, a woman behind called him an exhibitionist, not at these temperatures, was my reply. With the first mile almost complete we got our first view of the Cairngorms and loch Morlich below, stunning is an understatement, first mile complete 10:04

The second mile was downhill towards the ski road, I was now going past fellow runners at regular intervals, feeling strong and full of energy, we turn off the trail and ran along the ski road for the remainder of the mile before turning back onto the trail, second mile 8:54

Now back on the trail it was getting a little congested, which was a little frustrating, but I tried to remain patient and I was able to slow start picking my way through the crowds, mile 3 10:13

We crossed the ski road and were presented with our first major test, a fairly steep hill which took us to the highest point of the race at 1,312ft I managed to get to the top but so many people walked it which was a pain especially when they were walking in a line across the trail which made it quite difficult to maintain momentum, mile 4 10:49

The race from here was predominantly downhill, feeling good after the hill I settled down into a good pace, running through some of the most stunning scenery I have ever ran through, mile 5 9:05

Turning back along the loch-side into a cooling breeze I continued to maintain a comfortable pace, and trying to absorb as much of the atmosphere as I could, support along the route was sparse but it was appreciated, mile 6 9:10

16/10/2012 at 15:45

Almost half way now the trail narrowed and it was rather muddy, this section was slow, runners bunching and doing their up most to avoid the puddles, I approaching the half way mark in approx 1hr 4 minutes I was fairly content with my progress, we ran past the camping park and turned onto the ski road for the final 6 miles back into Aviemore, mile 7 10:18

Now on the ski road we ran along side the loch down towards the town, I was feeling good and started to focus on picking off the runners ahead, I was just trying to main a good pace and keep some energy in the tank, I've tended to run out off juice in the last three miles, mile 8 9:37

Almost into the final third of the race now, I was working hard and trying to remain positive, I got to the final water station took on some water and dug into the final stretch we descended through Coylumbridge and Inverdruie, the descending mile markers where flying by mile 9 9:25, mile 10 9:17, mile 11 8:58, now there were a few more supporters out, clapping and giving us encouragement, the last few miles are a bit of a haze, as we moved onto the bike trail before crossing the ski road for the final time, mile 12 9:27 only one mile to go!

I was hurting, but determined, turning along a cycle path we crossed the river and went under the railway underpass and up a little slope to the main road into Aviemore, crossing the road the line was in sight, putting in a kick to the finish crossing the line final mile in 9:28.

Crossing the line in a time of 2:03:49 average pace of 9:31mm, delighted!

Post race we went to a local eatery for pizza, pasta and beer what a way to finish off the day!

link to photo taken on route with a mile to go! http://www.action-heroes.co.uk/galleries2/HalfMar2012/index.html

Edited: 16/10/2012 at 15:50
16/10/2012 at 19:09
Stewart that's a fantastic race report - you must have been a writer in a previous life or perhaps in this one!

Sounds a fantastic course and you made a really good consistent pace the whole way round. I'll look at the photos a bit later and google Aviemore HM to have a look at the scenery. Well done again - have your legs stopped aching yet?
16/10/2012 at 19:41
Stripes have you read these reviews?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?v=2&ugn=10905
16/10/2012 at 20:00

Excellent report Stewart. Very well written. Sounds like a fantastic race

Had vaguely followed the race thread Silver. Sounds like it went off a lot better than last years which had a few teething troubles. Am considering aiming for it next year. Already entered the half in March.

That Grand Union race looks really good. I would consider it myself if it wasn't so awkward for me to get to.

Did a very slow 7.47 miles after work. Beginning to like the idea of running all my miles slowly

16/10/2012 at 21:01
Just seen my race photos and they show that while in my mind I think I look like Mo Farah in reality I look like a middle aged grey haired bloke who runs a bit like a donkey!

I'd put the link up but I'm too embarrassed you'll just have to take my word that I ran the race!
16/10/2012 at 22:00

I actually made it out for a run finally! 10.5min mile for just over a mile.

16/10/2012 at 22:55

Well done Mal

Silver. I look awful in every race photo. In fact I look awful in pretty much every photo!

16/10/2012 at 23:08

Ooh, well done Silver, Stripes and Stewart.Only just read back, sorry for being a rubbish forumite!

17/10/2012 at 00:26

The legs were stiff on Monday, I went to the gym and did a session on the AMT which seems to have helped, a gentle 5 miler this evening in under an hour, another easy session on Thursday and a long run on Sunday, that gives me a week to get ready for the Culloden run, I'm doing the 17.46k

http://www.thecullodenrun.com/

It's suposed to be quite a hilly one so won't be expecting a quick time

17/10/2012 at 08:57
Hi Mal - well done on the run! But where've you been?? Busy I suspect!

Stewart you are a gluten for punishment aren't you doing another run so soon after the HM. It sounds like another picturesque route though. I'll have a look at the link in a min.
17/10/2012 at 16:36

Stewart - great run report, agree definately the style of a writer.  Makes me want to come your way just for a run or two

Silver - yep my pic is the lotus, but not in our garage, the garage at the track day. Will post a full pic of it.  As for the garage, that garage has more space than ours!

Mal - Glad you're back and well done on the run

17/10/2012 at 16:36

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/684170/gallery/tn_dscf0413.jpg?width=350

This was on the track day too pulling back into the garage after a few laps

17/10/2012 at 20:00
That's one sexy looking motor!
17/10/2012 at 20:03

Oh yes and I can happily say it is all my OH's! I've had one drive, but am now happily a passenger It's our fun car

17/10/2012 at 21:19

I'm knackered, just taken 5 hours to write one paragraph on my job application! Now it's all ready I hope to be submitted, Run past manager on Friday then home to submit. Finger crossed, hoping and praying!

18/10/2012 at 08:13
Well Im contemplating my next HM. The Grand Union Canal run from Uxbridge to Watford. Looks like a really nice route and it's very close to home. Only problem is my boy has a match On the same morning so I'll have to miss it and he won't be happy at that.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=66085&ms=
18/10/2012 at 18:42

Hi Everyone

Mal - well done on getting back out there - I hope you enjoyed your run?

Silver / Stewart - both done amazing times and amazing runs!!! sounds fantastic

Tripes - what's all this 'three stripes' nonsense - you know what your name is.... I'm a bit with you - run longer and slower (well - that's my excuse)

Maam - you will do silverstone - i'll be there too.... 

I'm super stressy - got global sales school at the mo with IBM, so i'm super busy - homework (??!!!???!!!) and daily assessments... hard core! but it means no time for running!! so i've only been out sunday (12 mile) and tuesday 5.7 miles.... I HAVE to go for a run tomorrow morning or i will either 1) implode or 2) cause GBH to anyone or anything in my path that says the wrong thing!

Silver - its really lovely to hear you fully, with your running mojo back... the tready and the HM have really re-inspired you!  Great to hear it.

10 days until the Great South Run - I have my race number through so looking forward to that!

Hope to be on here again soon - work / homework depending.  

18/10/2012 at 20:30
Emma all that homework sounds hideous. I sometimes wake up in a panic thinking I have an exam that I haven't revised for and the last exams I did were my professional ones in 1997! Its a proper panic too with the sweats and increased HR - horrible. Does anyone else get that?!?

Mojo well and truly back now after Sunday. I loved the run but must remember that it was a a beautiful day and b a totally flat course. When I'm struggling up a hill in 3 degrees with the rain blowing in my face the mojo may dissappear very quickly!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.