Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

2,961 to 2,980 of 3,476 messages
06/11/2012 at 18:40

Stripes - that is an awesome target, good luck

06/11/2012 at 18:52
Cheers Maam. Have been reading lots of stuff on here written by some very well informed people and they all seem to agree that you can't do too much easy paced running. Did 9.64 miles today at my slowest ever pace. I spent the whole run arguing with myself that I should be going quicker but felt great after.
Good luck with the cycling. What kind of bike do you ride?
06/11/2012 at 20:04

Sounds like you are doing things the right way stripes, hope it all goes well for you. 

As for me, I'll be riding my OH bike when he sorts the tyres out and I get a helmet and padded shorts.  At the moment I've got one of those floor peddle things that physio recommend.  If I get on with cycling I might invest in my own bike but that is quite a way off yet as I've a lot of bad history, memories and luck when it comes to riding This is fingers crossed for a fresh start.

06/11/2012 at 21:21

Hope so

06/11/2012 at 22:14
Hi All great mileage Stripes - don't know how you find time to get to the pub!

Ma'am will we be calling you Ms Pendleton soon? I'm planning a late night watching the US election results - sad I know but I love these big political events. Think it stems from my years in the US when Clinton was in power! Dirty bugger!!
06/11/2012 at 22:50

Hi all,

Stripes impressive mileage, are you following a plan for your base building or just getting as many easy miles as you can? I would be interest to find out as I'm sort of doing the same thing.

Maam, Padded shorts are a must don't want you walking like John Wayne now!  Good luck with the cycling when it starts

Emma, I also don't pariculary like running in the heat, I much prefer it when it's colder, although I haven't really experienced freezing conditions, but I'm sure there will be a few of those coming around shortly.

Silver, glad your still getting a lot out of the treadmill, you'll be having a tready race with your dad soon

3.7 miles with Jog Scotlandthi evening, I had the pleasure of taking the group, easy pace tonight but I had to shuttle a fair bit, making sure everyone was ok, 41 mins 10:48mm

06/11/2012 at 22:52

Ha Ha Silver. I have actually cut the drinking down in the last few months but if Romney wins I may hit the ale again big time because with that idiots finger on the big red button anything could happen

06/11/2012 at 23:29

Can't be worse than Reagan..... surely

oh mileage for the month, I'm going to aim for 100

06/11/2012 at 23:48

Ha Ha. Or Bush, or Bush ....I see a pattern here

06/11/2012 at 23:57

Stewart, I am in week four of a ten week plan to build a solid 40 miles a week. Started at 27.5 so increasing mileage very slowly. Not doing any runs outside of 'easy' pace during the whole period as I haven't got any races planned. I only run 4 times a week and am following the accepted one long steady run, one slightly shorter long run plus two shorter run pattern. This began at 10, 7.5, 5 and 5 miles and will hopefully build to 15, 11, 7 and 7 miles.

Are you planning to do a Marathon? I have it in the back of my mind but not going to commit until I see how my fitness and work situation are at the end of the ten weeks(Just before Christmas so perfect time to start a spring Marathon plan)

07/11/2012 at 00:42

Stripes,

No plans for a Marathon any time soon, but I've got the Inverness Global HM in March, I'm also looking to just do some easy running until the end of the year, I've been reading the Hadd thread in the training forum and it looks interesting, I'm finding it quite hard not to push myself. and the group running might become an issue if I'm out with the faster runners.

07/11/2012 at 07:48
Well sense has prevailed and Obama is back so we can all breath a huge sigh of relief! Didn't realise Mitt was 65 - he looked pretty good for his age although I'm suspicious of that hair. As a man who been grey since his early 20s having black hair at that age just isn't natural.

You boys are putting me to shame with this mileage. I'm not sure I could dothaton the tready as a Id be bored and b the electric bill would go through the roof. Haha!

Like the new profile pic by the way Stewart.

Where's Booey gone?
07/11/2012 at 09:11

Morning all

Thinking about your milage is making me tired, that combined with I'm having a can't be a$ed day doesn't help. Lazy day for me ahead of work tomorrow.

07/11/2012 at 19:12

Marathon - i'd be so excited it some people from HERE did a marathon!!!! seriously, how cool would that be!!!!

Booey and Mal are very quiet.  As is Magrit - are you out there ladies????

Did a five mile run at lunchtime today.  Forgot my towel too - so I had to dry myself off from my shower with my running top..... yes, stoopid emma!

My next race is a 10k in december.  Then it'll be next year for me.... no marathon plans - I would say 'ever' but 5 years ago, I would never have thought I could run 2 miles and look where we all are now.

Really need to do some sit ups and sort out my bingo wings.  I have been ignoring those areas....

07/11/2012 at 22:55

Thanks Silver it was taken during the Culloden 17.46k race the other Sunday, I'm happier that Obama won last night the other guy seemed to be a bit of a numpty.

Maam hope you've enjoyed your lazy day

Emma, I would love to run at lunchtimes, but there is no shower facilities.  good running

8 miles easy this evening in 90 mins, I'm trying to keep the heart rate down, it was a little wet and windy running along side the river, still enjoyable though.

08/11/2012 at 19:44

Hi all

I have running news  I've just confirmed my place for next years GNR, now here is to hoping I can do it and do it well Physio is iffy abuot thought of Silverstone so will see how it goes.  Knee is so sore at the minute after all the housework.

Lazy day was ok but need sleep, yep, I'm back to not sleeping Back to work today too

Well done on the run Em, and one day maybe a mara if health holds out enough.

09/11/2012 at 15:27

Hi all,

Maam, Good news on the GNR place, plenty of time to recover and get ready for the race.

Hill reps last night, 1.5 mile warm up and 6 hill sprints followed by a 2 mile warm down, with a little effort run thrown in.  5.73 miles in total bring it up to 35 for the week  two non running days, might do some cross training at the gym tonight and I'm at a Jog Scotland Leader course on Saturday.

09/11/2012 at 20:19
My God Stewart where do you get your energy? Are you officially in the over 40s club? There was a time when the only people allowed on here were 40+! Or are you a yungun in your 30s? Im struggling to find time even for the tready at the moment as I'm working day and night. This weekend it's footie training Sat, footie match Sunday, cubs remembrance march on Sun pm and if we're lucky Chelsea Liverpool Sun evening. Oh and another fireworks display Sat night. So much for getting time to myself!

Still we're off on our mini cruise to France in 2 weeks, kids are with the grandparents, we don't have to worry about driving and it's free food for 3 days and nights! Nom nom nom. Can't wait - let the Christmas festivities commence!
09/11/2012 at 22:33

lol Silver, losing all that weight has helped with the energy levels I'm a year into the over 40's club, I think this is my midlife crisis , looks like a fun packed weekend, you could always pull the tv into the garage and run while watching the game best of both worlds.... a two week cruise with free food... you'll be needing the treadie when you get back

Edited: 09/11/2012 at 22:34
10/11/2012 at 10:29

Hi Hi!  It's the weekend and I just woke up and ate white muffins with butter for brekkie!

Done 31 miles so far this month but its my day off today - may disappear onto the xtrainer at the gym for an hour, if not I have some homework to do for one of these courses work have put me on!

Tomorrow is my long sunday run - what distance should I do?  My next race is a 10k but I like the longer runs..... any suggestions?

Talking of losing weight - how much have you lost Stewart, since you took up running?

Anyone else lost weight here?  lots of runners get quite gaunt but i'm not there yet!!! lol

pics of great south run are up.  some are ok - some are HILARIOUS.... I may post the link....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.