Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

3,241 to 3,260 of 3,475 messages
22/03/2013 at 22:26
Make that one and a half tubs!
23/03/2013 at 18:50

Hi all, Welcome Ivor

Glad to hear all are still enjoying running.  I'm not running tomorrow but diving, still trying to hold off till beginning April to get back out there but will be worth it when I do.

Silver - love the ice cream measures

24/03/2013 at 13:34

Hello

Ivor - sounds like you're doing amazingly well!  you got your running mojo back!  this time next year I think you'll look back and have achieved a lot.  Will be looking forward to hear how you get on with the 10 miler!  your wife must be very proud of you!

I just did our local 10k road race (with my dad and fella there waving at strategic places - I felt truly specials)  And knocked 2 mins off last years time which is good but not really my main driver.

Silver - you made me laugh once again.  

Booey - still keeping an eye out for your doggie

Mal - don't listen to silver

Maam - not long now until April! can't wait to hear how your running progresses.  Is there anything that you have to be careful of once you get back out there.

Stewart and Stripes really don't come here often now do they  Stripes - we know you're not running so much but you can come on here anyway!  Stewart - where on earth are you???

25/03/2013 at 18:45
Hi all.

Welcome Ivor.

Hope everyone is okay.

Finally jacked in silly ideas of doing Liverpool HM when I got a bad back two days before it so I went to see a Sports Therapist last week. He thinks my problem may be a Sportsmans Hernia and has given me exercises to do. Can't run or stretch the area for a month at least
Allowed to swim and cycle though so gonna try to keep myself fit.
25/03/2013 at 20:37

Stripes - Good to see you are still out there, sorry to hear no running, but it will help Good luck with the swimming and cycling too

I went diving yesterday and have pulled my neck and back muscles, just when I thought things were looking up.  Hopefully temporary

25/03/2013 at 22:21
I know a good sports physio if you two are interested. He's sorted my back out - not without a lot of pain - but it's worked. Not sure I mentioned but the day after it gave out I had to go to A and E with it as I literally couldn't move! Feel a wuss thinking back but at the time it was agony.

Sorry to hear about the Liverpool HM Stripes - that's a real shame. Hope you get the back better soon.

I'm just contemplating recommencing my running career with a light jog on the tready just need to drag myself away from the tele and computer for half an hour which ain't easy.

Speaking of which I found this on twitter - one for the more mature men on here -

https://mobile.twitter.com/50ShedsofGrey/tweets

Did I mention that I posted on the 'Need to Poo' thread the other day - problem was I didn't untick the box thingy and I kept getting emails in the office titled 'Need to Poo' how embarrassing! I had to go back and post some nonsense to change the email notification thingy! Idiot!
Edited: 25/03/2013 at 22:24
25/03/2013 at 22:22
Oh crikey Maam. More bad luck

Think my back problem was caused by my first swimming lesson for over 30 years. It eased off after a few days and was fine after last weeks lesson
25/03/2013 at 22:23
Sounds horrible Silver, the back not the poo
25/03/2013 at 22:27
Believe me the Need to Poo thread is very horrible - wish I'd never read it actually. I posted to say I didn't have that problem myself but I can't believe how common it is! Sounds horrible.
27/03/2013 at 02:01

Wow Silver, I am a lightweight afterall. I can hardly believe she ran a marathon at 39 weeks pregnant, I can barely walk by then.

27/03/2013 at 12:28

Hey all

Good news is the neck is heaps better, almost back to normal.  Feeling great infact

Looking forward to going for a run again too, but more so getting excited for my kettleblast DVDs and kettlebell to arrive, it's going to be painful fun

Getting ready to party though first, my green tights have arrived today

27/03/2013 at 18:24
Hi guys how is everyone, been busy myself, the running is going well smashed my HM PB by 11 mins a week past Sunday (1:52:49) and I'm now tapering for my first marathon on April.14th, at lochaber, hope everybody's running is going well
27/03/2013 at 20:02

Stewart, you're alive and well. Really good to hear from you and that you are doing so well.  Wow a Mara in April, so excited for you!  Don't run away from us again, you make us worry

We have our family back, yipee

28/03/2013 at 08:25

I am 48 and started running seriously a month ago. I did try running before but then could never run more than 2 kms at a stretch without panting like an asthmatic dog!! Until one month ago when an ultramarathoner friend figured out what I was doing wrong. I was running. Sure. But too fast. She started me on a slower pace and I surprised myself by running 5k the first day! I did 12k last week on the longer run and generally run maintenance runs of 6-8 kms 3 days a week. I also bike twice a week, around 70 k, besides some yoga and pilates. I plan to run a half marathon distance in the next couple of months. Running is awesome fun and supremely addictive and I'm loving it. Its just me, the rhythm of my feet on the road, my heart beating steady and the wind on my face. Freedom and joy. And wonderful therapy for the menopause blues.

28/03/2013 at 20:32

Eva, Welcome, glad to hear that you have sorted out your 'problem' and now can love running in all it's glory.  I agree with the freedom you get, can't wait to get back out and find it all over again.

Oh, my kettleblast kit arrived yesterday, plan to give it a whirl tomorrow, now just to not damage me, the house, the furniture, the tele etc

28/03/2013 at 22:46
Hello All and welcome Eva. I have good news - after a couple of months off due to injury and laziness I've been for a run - just 3 miles and at a very steady pace but I'm back on it and very pleased about it! It was actually very easy as my pace was so slow but Ill be stretching it out over the next few weeks as I get back to optimum fitness. Target is Oxford HM in October which should be easy enough - loved it last year so can't wait to do it again!

Eva I love your last few lines as they sum up my love for running too. The peace, the great outdoors and the sound of your feet on the road and your heart pumping away - oh and a bit of wheezing when your out of shape!
30/03/2013 at 19:34
Ok this is getting silly - I've run 3 times in 3 days now. Legs are aching but it feels great to actually do some exercise at last!

Me and Mrs S are on a health food diet at the moment and to aid us we've downloaded the My Fitness Pal app on the recommendation of a colleague. It's helps focus the mind on what you put in your body and you get credits on your daily calorie allowance everytime you exercise!

Just in time too given all the Easter Eggs well have in house from tomorrow! My new mantra has to be I must resist, I must resist! Or I am full and don't need to eat Haagen Dazs tonight!
30/03/2013 at 19:35
Am I talking to myself again?!?
30/03/2013 at 20:18

Hi Silvertop, I hear you, fear not!

It sounds like your return to running has been strategically planned to coincide with Easter gorging...

I have decided not to venture out to the pub tonight to concentrate on writing a new article for my blog.

www.run-to-be-happy.com

Are there any requests for info or chat on a particular area of running/training/.?  I have writers block tonight

Regards,

Paulo

31/03/2013 at 11:43
Silver you're doing really well. Pace yourself with both the running and the Easter eggs!

Happy Easter all.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.