Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

421 to 440 of 3,476 messages
10/11/2011 at 11:27

Morning All,

No running last night as I was recovering from the club run - I have an aching right buttock!

I did subscribe to Runners World online at last so hopefully I will be full of interesting nutritional and exercise info (like you Booey) in a week or so.

May try a lunchtime run today although I may just put it off til tomorrow to let my sore bum recover!

Will go for another 7.5km on Sunday so need to space the runs out and allow for recovery in between (at my age)

10/11/2011 at 11:46
Morning Silver. Am still a bit achy as well but not in the Buttock area
How far are you from St Albans? Looking for a ten miler as my last warm up for my HM and there is one there in January that I might consider.
10/11/2011 at 11:50
Hi Stripes. I'm not too far from St Albans probably 20m but it's an easy drive.

Which race are you looking at and I'll see if I can make it. January should give me plenty of time to get a pass if you know what I mean.

It's a long way from Tamworth isn't it?
10/11/2011 at 11:57
Its the Fred Hughes ten on January 22nd.
It is a good way but struggling to find anything that fits the bill.
Had one in mind called the Stourbridge Stagger which is only about an hour from mine until I read a review which mentioned crossing lots of stiles
10/11/2011 at 13:12
Silver - I hope you are getting a free gift with your subscription, they are always doing something  I got a running top
10/11/2011 at 13:18

Oh and my new cap has come  its the bomb I love it  its actually the new range so the red flashing is actually built into the back of the cap and the battery is stored in a little pouch.

Running club people are gonna love it, they love all my flashing lights  haha

Catch you 2moz, I cant wait to get out this pm. for a run

10/11/2011 at 13:26

Have a good afternoon Booey, hope the doctors goes okay and you get your run in.

With or without decorations

10/11/2011 at 13:46
What? A free gift? Did I miss something?

I just got 3 issues for 3 quid and that's it!
10/11/2011 at 20:38
Hiya!
Sad news about the pup Mal fingers crossed Booey's right and it calms down or u find something that works

I did the club run tonight, 5.2m in around an hour.. Lots of hills, altitude said 19-190!!!! Unfortunatly I used a new app and had turned on auto pause which is all it constantly did! gps not great in this part of the world at the mo! One of the other runners told me we'd run 5.2, my app said 3!!
10/11/2011 at 21:33

Hi Sabbie,

Well done on the run. Glad I'm not the only one who has GPS problems. At least you remembered to press start 

10/11/2011 at 22:13
Hello Sabbie. Well done on the storming run. 5.2m is a good outing. Did you feel ok with it - not too tired? I think the club runs are good for motivation as the other runners make it more sociable and you don't want to be the first to stop.

My GPS gave up on me for a bit this week too so I had to guess how far I'd run in the missing 11mins. Strangely I calculated this as 3 miles - just under 4 minute miles - I was flying!
10/11/2011 at 22:36
Bloomin 'ell silver!! U really should do some races, I don't think I'll ever run the distances u do in those sort of times!
I unfortunately don't have a problem with being the first to stop! my god there's so many hills! I think they're getting minutely easier in the first part of the run but by the second half they're a struggle lol I just have to keep doing them to get better, I have to remember I only started running again beginning of Oct and already I'm doing bigger distances than in June
.. Also I cut the guy who leads the runs hair! I can't give up now!

Might have to make a serious effort to cut back on the smoking too! I'm sure that'd make things a bit easier!

Rofl Stripes I don't think I've done that yet..
11/11/2011 at 09:02

Well x-ray all sorted yesterday and got home and had a lovely run, my usual local route 3.45 miles and did it in best time yet  

Silver - first 3 issues for a £1 is the norm but you should defo get a free gift, I will check in my mag later what the gift is then you can ring them and make sure you are getting it......they may just send it anyway

Sabbie - well done on the club run, sounds to me like you are doing really well

11/11/2011 at 09:20

Silver - its a watch, the free gift

https://subscribe.hearstmags.com/subscribe/runnersworlduk/40324

Thats from the runnersworld store which I am guessing is where you did it from

11/11/2011 at 09:25
Hi Boo. I thought the 'free gift' was the cheap intro price but I'll be miffed if I miss out on a running shirt. Let me know what's on offer at the mo and I'll ring them if it doesn't come with my first issue.

Glad you got the x ray done. When will you hear back?

V jealous that you got out in the light too yesterday. I am finding the dark nights very restricting and to compensate I'm just sitting at home eating! Not good for the moobs!

I'm definately out for a long one this weekend early doors. Will try for a straight 10k which I don't think Ive done alone before. It's weird how that doesn't sound very daunting anymore.
11/11/2011 at 09:55

See above your post re free gift

Silver & Stripes - have you actually joined your running clubs now?  I just wondered as if you have, have you received your affiliation card from England Athletics yet?  Chap at our club said takes about 2 weeks and I joined just over 2 weeks ago and still no card  its only because I want it before I sign up for anymore races to get cheaper

x-ray results upto 2 weeks

My LSR is scheduled for tomorrow all being well, anything over 7miles will be a first and I need to start pushing on with my HM training.  Out of interest lady at running club I ran with was talking to me about my training for the HM (she did the VLM this year so should know re training) she reckons I need to have done 10miles by Xmas/New Year and get comfortable with it then the extra 3.1 on race day goes without thinking.  Its kind of the way I was thinking anyhow put maybe try abit more than 10 even if its 11 nearer to the race  my HM is on 11th March

Have you any thoughts on your training and how you want to progress with yours both of you?

11/11/2011 at 10:02

Hi all,

Booey, glad the x-ray is sorted and you got out for a run.

Silver, know what you mean about the 10k, two months ago it seemed like such  a long way!

Well you will all be pleased to know(doubt anyone will be at all interested ) that I have broken the last barrier! Since I've been on here I have run my first race,bought a Garmin, had my first trial with a running club, had my gait analysed and bought 'proper' shoes but last night I went one step further than I ever thought I would go and.......................................................................................................ordered some tights

11/11/2011 at 10:18

Booey, very good question. I haven't joined yet, apparently they are very relaxed about it but will ask for a form when I go next week. Going to do both nights if my legs are up to it! I know what you mean about entering races but I've already paid for my next two before Christmas and the only one I want to enter in the next few weeks is the Liverpool Half on March 18th which I don't actually want to run as a club member. I am hoping to do it with a friend and run for the Hillsborough Justice Campaign. It will be a one-off and after that I will happily run all my races in the club vest, if they'll have me

I think that as regards training the three of us(that is you, me and Silver) seem to all be at similar stages of progress and that the step up to a ten mile run is approaching

I am aiming to be at that level around New Year with small increases in my long run each weekend. I will attempt 7.5 miles on Sunday. The only concern I have regards that(other than aches and pains) is that the club runs are further than I had envisaged and if I do go on them regularly I may be increasing my weekly mileage too quickly.

Are you going to attempt a ten mile race in the New Year as part of your build up?

11/11/2011 at 11:56

Stripes - tights are the way forward, even for you men  they are so comfortable and great in the colder weather.  I bought some Ron Hill Tracksters, the ones with the loop that goes round your foot  I never ever dreamed I would wear those sort of things again but they are great and warm

Ditto to what you have written re training etc start increasing every week now and reach 10 miles all being well around Xmas.  Personally I wouldn't worry to much about your club runs just go with what your body tells you.  Is it twice a week you club run?  If one week it feels to much give one of them a miss  

I have bookmarked a 3 phase 15K each phase to do in the NY which should help

11/11/2011 at 12:18

Yeah. Twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday. As I said I will do both next week but may do what you say and just do it once some weeks.

I haven't run since Tuesday because my body has been saying No! Think two seven milers in three days was too much

Was very frustrated at not going out yesterday but feel a lot less achy today so gonna go out later on

What is a 3 phase? 3 races?

I am considering a 10 miler in St Albans in January, can't find one closer to home that fits the bill.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.