Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

441 to 460 of 3,475 messages
11/11/2011 at 12:31
On site with builders all morning Grrrrrr!

Now then what's a LSR and a VLM? I'm lost and I prob need to know if I'm going to get as serious as you two about the running.

I don't have a training programme yet for my HM as its not til April but I would like to be at 10 miles or so by Feb or March and hope the other 3m are easy enough on the day!

Stripes rofl at your tights - you won't be sorry mate and you'll realise why women always wear those wooly ones in the winter! They are warm and v comfy!

Booey I want a watch so there better be one with the first mag or I'll be on the phone to them! Did you order online?

Stripes I'm still undecided on the 10m race in St Albans (funnily enough that's where I'm heading now) as 10 m is a long way for me at the moment. Give it a few more weeks and I'll prob know whether it's a goer or not.

11/11/2011 at 13:21

VLM is Virgin London Marathon I think?

LSR - Long Steady Run? I used to think it was Long Sunday Run

Latest News - Tights are on their way

Fair enough about St Albans, not sure myself. Would probably have to stay over which makes it expensive. Went through St Albans once years ago and it looked really nice but there are hardly any hotels. Annoying really because the train service is great Monday to Saturday(and an off peak return is only £15!) but non existent on a Sunday morning and I'm not very keen on motorway driving

11/11/2011 at 14:06

Stripes - yeah your explanations of my abbreviations are the same

two 7 milers in 3 days is very good so don't beat yourself up, although I know what you mean.  You have this feeling of, I really want to go for a run but my body is saying be sensible  have a short run today if you feel upto it then the w/end try for a longer one

I noticed when I had my hiccup whilst away in Newquay and didn't run for days that when I got back out and did the ressy run it was my best so far  nearly 7 miles and I shaved nearly 10mins off my last time  proof that sometimes a good rest (a few days) can do wonders for the body recovery and revitalise you

Silver - when I subscribed I phoned them as I wanted to actually hear someone say "yes you get a free running top"  the top came a couple of weeks after the mag from what I remember.  Give them a ring if you don't get it after a while

Its turned very foggy ere in Northampton, dunno what its like for you two?

11/11/2011 at 14:11
oh yeah sorry, 3 15K races with about 3 weeks between.  They are especially geared up for all the training people are doing early year for the HM & Mara's
11/11/2011 at 14:21
Foggy and cold here Boo. Still I wish I had my shorts (or tights! ) on rather than a big yellow coat and a hard hat!

BTW I did get my membership number for The running club quite quickly but I don't think it's the same as the England athletics number. Still I think I can get the reduced entrance fees with it if I ever get to run a race that is.

My Dads here this weekend for the footie so I won't be able to run on Sunday which means I need to do my LSR tomorrow morning.

If we don't speak again have a gr8 w/e and enjoy your LSR's in preparation for your HMs and the VLM!

I'm rubbish at this text talk stuff - I've only just learned that lol doesn't mean lots of love!! Seriously! haha

11/11/2011 at 14:32

LMAO haha thats made me chuckle (thats Laugh my arse off by the way)  I am a text junkie, all I really use my phone for.  I can text a msg like grease lightening and use loads of abbreviations.

When I am typing something on an email for work I really have to stop and think what I am doing or else I forget and abbreviate everything

Have a good weekend everyone, hoping to get away soon

Happy Running

11/11/2011 at 14:46
I'm jealous Boo as I don't have a clue about texting. In fact I stared at LMAO in your last text for ages thinking I should know what it means before I realised you had added the translation. I only found out last week about the LMFAO thing much to my wife's hilarity!

Have a god one and enjoy the running
11/11/2011 at 16:22

Have a good weekend all.

Enjoy the football Silver, sure you and your Dad will appreciate seeing the best team in the world, shame about the opposition. If you can get your 7yo lad to understand he is privileged to be watching England getting stuffed then you may get a nomination for Dad of the year

I am okay at texting but not very quick since I got a touchscreen phone. I also like using whole words and haven't got a clue what most of the abbreviations mean!

That sounds like a good prep Booey, three lots of just under 10 miles, you'll be ready for anything after that

Back at work having done a steady four miles. Quite enjoyed it, took it very gently in the first mile as my legs are still a bit achy but once I warmed up I was fine.

Got a very quiet weekend, no football, no race and lots of time at work

House to myself tonight as well. I'm staying in and the other half is going out which only happens about once a year

12/11/2011 at 10:45
Morning All

Had a run at 7 this morning. Great time to go out as its so quiet and this morning very foggy. Legs felt heavy the whole way round though. I thought it would ease up as I warmed up but no joy. Anyway finished my 7.5k without stopping in 40 mins dead.

I think my achy legs may result from poor sleep this week thanks to kids and also a bit of a sniffle that keeps waking me up in the night.

Still I feel great for getting out and set up for the weekend activities!

Enjoy yourselves if you are able to get out.
12/11/2011 at 10:54
Know what you mean about the legs. Mine are still not quite right.
Glad you managed to get out. I will leave it today and risk it tomorrow afternoon.
12/11/2011 at 13:52
Do you think we are over doing it Stripes? I seem to need 3 days to get over the club run now and even then I struggled today.

I thought all of this exercise was supposed to make you stronger

I agree with Booey about the longer breaks. My fastest times have always been after a week off. Hopefully the RW mag will give me some direction on training techniques.

I'm a bit suspicious of my insoles too as after 250k (I like saying that! ) they seem to have gone a bit flat which would mean achy ankles and knees are back as I had before. May need to get some more.

Have a good one tomorrow if you get out.
12/11/2011 at 15:03
Hey everyone!

I had hoped to be around a bit more this week, but my eldest daughter (aged 6) has had a right old week of it, bless her.

I got a call from school on Monday to say she'd had a fall in the playground & could I come and see her. She'd obviously had a bit of a shock, she hadn't got her hands down in time and landed on her cheek, most of the side of her face was cut and slightly bruised, so I took her home & tucked her up on the sofa with a movie.

The following day after school, she was doing homework and complained her feet were itchy, then complained at bedtime her body was itchy. I put some aqueous cream on, and she went to bed.

She woke at 11.30pm crying her eyes out, tearing at her skin, and her body was COVERED in hives we couldn't work out what had caused it (we now know it was probably melon). We gave her some Piriton, it all calmed down, and by morning it had all but gone. But when she got home from school that day (Weds), she was again covered in rash, which got progressively worse through the evening. I took her to the docs Thurs morning and she was given a stronger anti-histamine, but by Friday lunchtime, it was obviously not doing anything to alleviate the itching, so she's now on steroids. There is a noticeable improvement already, but it's still not gone from her legs and face. Hopefully more improvement over the weekend. My poor girl!

Well, sounds like training is going well for you all! I totally agree about being stronger after a week off, hence tapering in the run up to a big race, I assume. My strongest run yet has been after I had 10 days off due to illness. And the week before the GSR, as you know, I didn't run at all, and it seemed to do the trick.

I only did one run last week, after the GSR, on Sunday eve with 2 friends, 5 miles, and very enjoyable! The knees gave me a little bit of jip, but only towards the end. I've referred to the physio now so will have to wait and see.

Loving the sounds of those early morning runs Silver, I've never done one yet, but with these dark eves, it's tempting!

How are the tights stripes? I definitely need some, my ankles get chilly now, so what's it gonna be like come freezing temps!!

Someone asked if we did any other exercise? I do Zumba once a week on a Monday, and I absolutely love it! I'm feeling like my upper body needs some resistance work though, so might have to start breaking out the Davina DVD on a Saturday....

Just been looking at HM training plans, trying to find one that I like and fits me, and I think this one sounds good: https://www.lucozade.com/media/44527/hm.pdf, also this one: http://www.fitsugar.com/Half-Marathon-Training-Schedule-Beginners-2845222 Have you found anything to work on yet Booey?

My youngest starts an extra pre-school session in January, which means I'll be able to start some speed work, I'm so looking forward to that! If I can crack this HM in some where near the 2 hour mark, I'd be well happy. At my current level, I'd be looking around 2h 20...

Anyway, off out on the razz tonight, a friend's surprise 30th, festival-themed, so I'm off to doll myself up, and then pulling on the wellies & shorts! LOL!

P.S: Silver, I'd be interested to know about the gift, I too signed up for the 3 for £3, and I think that was the 'gift' as the link you posted Booey, was 6 for £16.
12/11/2011 at 17:19

Hi Suzie,

Nice to speak to you in your own thread!

Sounds like your daughter has had an awful week. 

Tights not come yet. Can't wait to get the Lycra on

Silver, 

I think my problem is that I struggle to slow down enough. All the experts on here and other websites seem to suggest that slower is better. My slow run is probably only 10-15% slower than my fastest and I am trying really hard to ease off more. Easier said than done though

12/11/2011 at 17:57

Dog has gone, feeling sad but relieved the baby's face isn't as swollen, she resembled a pumpkin! Out for a run first thing tomorrow (in my new tights!) can't wait.

Nice to see everyone on here.

12/11/2011 at 23:51

How could you all be busy spending time with your families etc instead of heaping sympathy my way? come on runners, you'll all have to be doubly sympathetic now. If you're not I'll be forced to punish you with 100's of photos, anecdotes and snippets related to the puppy.

13/11/2011 at 00:29
Aww Mal! I'm sorry hun, the bottle of vodi distracted me! I'm guessing Silver and Stripes have been somewhat distracted by England winning the footie! Who'da guessed!

sad news on the pup, I take it what u got from the docs didn't have the desired effect! If it's any consolation a lad I used to know was allergic to male dogs but not female so may be worth looking into when littlies are a bit older (if u still want a dog then) I would have done exactly the same cos u can't watch ur kids suffering!

Have a good run in the morning I would like to say I plan the same but a trip to the outlaws is on the cards and I don't think I'll be hydrated enough to get out b4 we set off Good job I have Monday's off too!
13/11/2011 at 01:10

Thanks Sabbie, you are now excused the punishment.

Can't wait for the run, I'm feeling restless without it. Hoping to attempt a 5k route to see how I go. Really want to have another go at parkrun to see if I can improve my time but not feeling on top form yet, I seem to have a bit of a stomach bug but could just be stress. 

Hope the outlaws is good. Nice to have Mondays off too, what do you do?

Had a glass of wine and a chat with a lovely friend of mine so feeling happier.

13/11/2011 at 02:06
Glad ur feeling happier
U can definitely do 5k u know! I found I have to slow right down to run it without stopping but I'm hoping by going to the running club I shall eventually find I can run further faster.. Well, that's the plan, may have to stop the booze and cigs! And I know that sounds awful! All these serious runners on here! But I go for a run cos I enjoy it so I'm hoping I'll want to get more serious about it and it'll have a majorly positive effect on me
What was ur parkrun time? (I bet u can match it ) I know there was one earlier in the year nearish here, I should have a look see if they still do them, not sure I want to do a race on my own! lol
Let the stress melt away tomorrow.. In them new tights they're all I've worn running cos I didn't run through the summer haha

I'm a barber and I'm lucky cos I picked Monday as a day off I have to work Saturday's so it's nice to get two days in a row, one day on the kids and one day to focus on stuff that needs doing rofl.
13/11/2011 at 12:25
Well England won who'd have believed it. My boy was made up and my Dad loved the whole thing. He was almost brought to tears when he first set eyes on the pitch all lit up under the floodlights - bless him - he's never been to a proper stadium in 66 years so he couldn't get over the whole experience.

What's more my boy has just scored 2 himself this morning so that's great for him and I'm a very proud Dad!

I'm well and truly footballed out now so I promise no more mention of it.

Mal I'm really sorry to hear that your dog had to go. I know how pleased you were to have him but if the kids suffer its for the best. Like Sabnie mentioned I had a friend who was allergic to cats but only the long furred ones. When she got one with short fur she was fine.

Suzie I'm sorry to hear about your woes too. I hate rashes or temperatures in my kids as I'm a real worrier and always think its something far more serious than it actually is. Still I'm glad things are ok now.

Stripes - did you get out today and more importantly did your tights arrive? My wife said mine were too tight yesterday (they had just come out of the wash!) but I thought that's how they were supposed to be?

I know what you mean about pacing yourself. I generally run at the same pace just over 5 min kms but I'm afraid to try a faster start as I think I'll run out of gas. I did read somewhere that the best way to get a PB is to run faster at the beginning and not the end as this is when you have most energy.

It's a beautiful day here today do have fun if you get out.

Sabbie I hope the hangovers not too bad today!
13/11/2011 at 19:43

Hi all,

Mal, sorry about the dog going, bet you were gutted, hope the run this morning went well and took your mind off it.

Sabbie, sounds like you were having a good night, hope the outlaws was okay.

Silver, glad they won for you, bet your Dad and Son were made up. I've taken lots of stick from mates and my girlfriend after confidently predicting England would get hammered, sure you would like to join in

Did my LSR? this afternoon and it went very well. Managed 8 miles in 1:11.08, took it very steady and kept an even slow pace. Legs were turning to jelly towards the end but was my furthest ever run so am really pleased. Tried my first ever Gel today about 4 miles in, not sure if it made much difference but it tasted better than I thought

Still no sign of the tights. Reckon the Fashion Police have impounded them

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.