Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

501 to 520 of 3,476 messages
16/11/2011 at 11:09
Stripes - 500th post on the thread! I can see now how other threads get so big so quickly! I'd be inclined to give Thurs a miss, but then I have had great results after a few days off.
16/11/2011 at 11:31
Hi Suzie. Lol at your Mwahaha! I would have made that noise myself as we were running passed them but I couldn't speak at the time.

Good luck with your run tonight. I'm jealous of people having time off during the week when the kids are at school. It would be so nice to have just a bit of time at home without them - if you know what I mean.

Don't knock the cheap Karrimor stuff too I'm like a running advert for their gear!

Sorry to hear about the cold Sabbie. Sounds grim! Thought Id be the same way today but last nights run seems to have turned it round. That and I had so many oranges yesterday my skins changed colour! I look like I've had a spray tan this morning!
16/11/2011 at 12:02

Stripes - see how you feel on Thurs, maybe a short run on your own or just wait until your race

16/11/2011 at 12:31
I was going to say give Thursday a miss Stripes but of the runs on Sunday that's still 2 days rest do you'll probably be ok. Just take it easy as Booey suggested and you should be fine.
16/11/2011 at 12:33
I wish I did get time alone Silver, unforch my littlest one is 4 next week & she's only at pre-school, so I only get a Mon morning respite at the mo as all her other sessions are at the end of the week. But as of Jan, she goes Tue morning too, helloooo speed work

Haha, I may well attempt a mwahahaaaaa at the yoofs next time they ambush us!

Good to know the Karrimor stuff is recommended, it's definitely more my price bracket!

Have you really been actually Tangoed? How many oranges did you eat??
16/11/2011 at 13:09
My little one is 4 too Suzie but he's now doing 5 mornings a week til 12pm but I'm not at home when he's there! In fact I'm only at home when the kids are there so I don't have much chance to get out unless Mrs S is feeling generous with her time.

I'm not really tangoed lol but I did eat about 6 oranges yesterday. Seems to have done the trick though.
16/11/2011 at 13:28

Silver, I bet its done the trick in more ways than one

Not sure what to do, may take Booeys advice and just do a short run on my own. I know I can't do Tuesday next week though as I'm going to a gig so will probably see how I feel tomorrow afternoon.

I get really upset and annoyed when I hear about some of the things people have to put up with when out running. One of the ladies at the club was telling me that they once had an incident where some idiot on a bike tried to ram into one of the front runners, not knowing that there were thirty odd people coming up behind! 

16/11/2011 at 13:55
I know what you mean Stripes. One of the mums at school runs at 5am (I know mad isn't she!) but she has had to vary the times as it seems she has started to bump into a bloke in the same place each day and he tries to follow her or run with her. She's been running with a friend so it hasn't been a problem but now she runs alone she's v nervous. I said Id run with her if she likes but not at 5am.

He must be someone local. I think I would have had a quiet word with the police if I was her. It would make me very nervous and I'm 6foot 4!
16/11/2011 at 16:47
Blimey you lot have been quiet this afternoon. Was it something I said?
16/11/2011 at 19:55
*tumbleweed*

*snigger*
Edited: 16/11/2011 at 19:55
16/11/2011 at 20:03
Sorry Silver, couldn't resist!

Well I did my 5k, 5.3 to be precise, & it equated to a 5k in 29m 9s, a PB for me! (5m50s/km or 9m23s/mile) I didn't enjoy it like I normally do though, found it pretty tough & I know it's cos I was running alone & in the dark :-/ Ah well, it's done & I'm pleased with the PB!

Anyone else out tonight?
16/11/2011 at 20:05
Very funny! - I've been lonely in here on my own all afternoon!

Did you get out for a run Suzie? It was chilly when I left the office in deepest darkest Oxfordshire tonight.
16/11/2011 at 20:09
Sorry we must have posted at the same time. Well done on the run. I've sort of given up on the solo evening runs since its got darker do well done on getting out at all tonight.

I'll probably go for a lunchtime 5 through the fields tomorrow as I haven't done that for a while and I'm in the office all day so it's a nice break. Then the LSR early on Sat or Sun morning when I hope to do 10k.

Tonight I'm staying in and drowning my sorrows after being so neglected this pm.

Not sure where that dodgy looking smiley came from I thought I'd entered a sad face not a lairy one!

Edited: 16/11/2011 at 20:11
16/11/2011 at 20:27
Hi all.
Been visiting my Nan this afternoon.
Well done on the run Susie.
Sorry you were neglected Silver. That story about the woman in your village is well scary.
16/11/2011 at 20:35
Hi Stripes. Trust your nans ok still.

I read the bit I wrote about the Mum from school and realised how scary it sounded. When I talked to her she was very matter of fact about it too. The more I think about it the more I want to give her a ring and tell her not to run anymore or maybe to join me at the club. I hope to God she will be ok now.

BTW I just posted on the Running Tracks thread within the Beginners Forum. Could be an interesting one if you fancy declaring your fave running tracks.
Edited: 16/11/2011 at 21:04
16/11/2011 at 21:15

She is home but not in the best form.

Maybe you should check she is okay if you know her well enough? Doesn't sound at all safe running on her own in those circumstances.

17/11/2011 at 08:56

Morning all

Well done on your run Suzie and PB time thats great  Race PB will be even better

On that note re PB's - does everyone only class races as PB's?  Thats probably a silly question as we all run faster in a race so it should always be better  I record all my runs, time and distance everytime I go out but discussing PB's I would only give race times......so 5K, 10K races I have done I would take my best time as my PB as its professionally/legally recorded for everyone to see/view where our personal runs are recorded my our own means.  I hope that makes sense

Club run tonight

17/11/2011 at 09:29

Hi Booey,

Yeah. It does make sense. I have as you know only done one 10k race so I count that as my PB(It is anyway) therefore Sunday will be strange as I can only achieve a PB or a PW

Having read lots of stuff on here I can't imagine ever wanting to run flat out in training again in order to try to break a PB. 

17/11/2011 at 10:40

A PB has to be in a race really as it needs to be over a measured distance doesn’t it?

Then again if you run a regular route and just want to measure your progress its ok to time yourself each time you go out.

Since I got to running 5k’s I have always timed myself and compare progress each time I go out.

May get out at lunch today by the way – v.overcast here but no rain – should be perfect.

17/11/2011 at 10:52

Blimey Booey – your music taste’s a bit hardcore isn’t it?  Makes my MoR stuff seem well tame!

Still can’t believe that fella listed a track from the Karate Kid II soundtrack!

Just received this weeks Parkrun newsletter which coincidentally is all about PBs.

Read online here http://www.parkrun.com/about/news

Edited: 17/11/2011 at 11:16
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.