Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

581 to 600 of 3,477 messages
22/11/2011 at 12:46

Hi Bobby,

Entering a race is a great motivator. It certainly got me focused.

I am having my first running crisis. On top of the disaster race on Sunday my usual leg aches seem to have developed into a problem on my lower right leg. The ache has become a pain when I put weight onto it. Not quite sure how to proceed but am going to have to take a few days off at least so my training plan is out of the window

22/11/2011 at 15:17
Stripes, oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. Get better soon.
22/11/2011 at 15:22

Thanks Mal, not sure what to do for the best.

As regards the fluctuation in how your runs feel, I think that is normal, it certainly has been for me.

22/11/2011 at 17:12
Afternoon Everyone and Hello Bobby.

Stripes - bad news on the injury is it bad enough to go to docs? I went through several weeks of really bad pain in my knees and ankles to the point that I could hardly walk so I know how frustrating it can be. Not sure whats best advice really. Maybe look on other forums as someone must have had the same before.

Mal - sorry to hear about the motivation I don't mean to keep going on about my runs you must find it v tedious! Just remember any run is good exercise and that's what it's about - its not a race! (well it could be if you wanted but you know what I mean don't you?!!?). We are here to motivate and encourage each other so don't feel bad however far you run.

Suzie - what's going on with those splits? Were you stopping for a sit down then sprinting the next mile? I'm no expert but a Garmin sounds like a good thing for Cmas list?

Bobby - good advice on the races. I need to enter a couple myself to keep motivated.
22/11/2011 at 19:32

Oh Stripes, I'm so sad for you. It's got to be so frustrating! Hoping it's a very quick recovery and doesn't hinder your excellent progress too much.

Silver, I don't find it tedious at all, although I'm slightly impressed I got you to apologise for talking about running on a running forum! Think I just need to remember I'm not superwoman even if I want to be and my body is probably screaming at me to slow down.

Hydration seems to be part of my problem especially as I'm breastfeeding Moo still (she's 5 months now)

Anyway, going to do parkrun with my sister (if she's able) next weekend which should give me a goal, I really want to beat that first time and maybe not walk at all, or just walk once and not twice.

Suzie, did you manage more consistant running next time?

Thanks for the advice Bobby, I'll have a look at some of the cheaper ones over the winter months.

I'm resisting the temptation to go to the shop for junk food, where is that pesky willpower when you need it?

22/11/2011 at 20:59
Mal I'm no expert by any means and I open myself up to criticism from all the women here but if you are still feeding bubba then maybe you are pushing yourself a little too hard. I can definately see that dehydration could be a problem. My wife breast fed both our boys and I'm not sure she could have run down the stairs between feeds let alone 5k without feeling a little jaded.

Anyway bringing the subject back to running I've just finished the Tues club run and I'm knackered. I had a stitch that just wouldn't go tonight which was horrible. We did 400m relays this week with a partner which was great fun but it became a bit of a race and I think I did my 5 laps a bit too fast. We did 3 more longer 1k circuits fastish but with a 2min recovery too. With the 2-3 k run out and back prob ran about 9-10k total.

Now outside Chinese waiting for my Singapore Noodles teehee! It's becoming a Tues night ritual!!
22/11/2011 at 21:11

I love your Tuesday night ritual, can anyone join in? Well done on your run tonight, it sounds like you really battled through your stitch. You are clocking up the k's now!

You're probably right Silver, I'll ease it back a bit and see if it helps. Just had an enormous mug of hot chocolate, I'm counting it as good hydration!

22/11/2011 at 22:19
Lol! I prefer the sound of your Tuesday night Chocolate to my Tuesday night Chinese Mal . Take it easy and don't worry about not doing loads of miles! Your health and the health of your family are the most important things so just listen to your body and do what feels comfortable. (sorry if I sound like your Dad it's just my paternal instincts kicking in
22/11/2011 at 23:10

Aw thanks for caring Silver. I'll make an extra hot chocolate for you if you like but if you can't run here quck enough I'll be forced to drink it before it gets cold!

23/11/2011 at 08:17
Mmmmm! CHOCOLATE!
23/11/2011 at 12:04

Hi folks am back  busy at work though so a flying visit

I didn't get out y/day for my LSR so thats gonna have to wait for the weekend, various issues y/day and what with the rain it just didnt happen  I did have a tready run monday night though, did 2.5 miles so at least I did summat

Club Run at 5.15 with Run England group later so looking forward to that

Stripes - how is the leg?  Personally I would give it a good few days rest and see how it is? Keep us informed

Mal - dont be so hard on yourself, you have so much on your plate at the moment anytime you do get out running is a bonus......infact with you breast feeding having a 5 month old I have no idea how you manage  

Silver - club run sounded challenging and well done

pop back later if I get chance

23/11/2011 at 12:23

Hi all,

Silver, really like your Tuesday night ritual. Think it could be a new concept. The 'takeaway relay'. I love Chinese food, may work out a route that finishes by my local takeaway if my leg improves.

Mal, hope you get to do the Parkrun, sounds like you have got a lot to cope with so don't get down about your running.

Booey, enjoy the Club Run.

The leg is not quite as bad but definitely not gonna risk running today because I know it will make it worse.

I know I could run and it wouldn't really hurt whilst I was doing it but would be really painful after.

Had to walk/limp for miles to and from the car at the LG Arena last night so that probably didn't help

Was due to go to club tomorrow but don't think I will be up to that either, really upsetting because I have got the form filled in to join

Don't think its bad enough for a visit to GP though, although being a wussy bloke I am never keen on visiting the Quack.
23/11/2011 at 12:25
Welcome back Booey - we missed you!

I heard a couple of guys talking about SS HM last night. They said it was a bit difficult as there are no significant landmarks as you run round. It's also a bit up and down. Still like the idea of it myself. How many laps is it 4?
23/11/2011 at 12:33

No its not laps, basically they use all the smaller tracks and pit lanes so you don't have to repeat where you have been which is good.  Also from experience of going to events there and seeing it on TV it has no hills to speak off.  Everyone I have spoken with that has done it says its pretty flat and a good PB course  also they have music on for you over the tanoys

The only gripes  I have heard are:

It can get boring in places where there are no spectators cheering you on

Its very flat and open to the elements so make sure you dress appropriately

Go on enter it

23/11/2011 at 13:47
Think I'm going to go for it Boo! Are there any goodie bags or Ts for the runners? And how much is it? Will have a look on website tonight as I'm out today. No hills sounds v inviting
23/11/2011 at 14:41

Its £15, here is the link http://adidashalfmarathon.co.uk/onlinentry/

Hope you get a place ok

23/11/2011 at 14:51
Just talked to my motor cycle friend who races at Silverstone a couple of times a year and he says it's v flat and v exposed. He thinks the outer parts could be a bit hilly if the race goes on these. He does 190mph down the straight considerably faster than my 7mph!
23/11/2011 at 16:06

I think you get a goody bag, not sure about t-shirts.  If you go through a charity they will give you a t-shirt but that means collecting sponsor money.  I was shocked when I signed up that I got accepted straight away as I heard it gets full quick.  If you don't have any luck you can always go down the charity route

Chat 2moz am off now to get to running club

23/11/2011 at 19:10
Hey Stripes hope you are feeling better. Is it just me or has your profile photo appeared under everyone's name on this whole website? I just checked other threads and you are on those too! You seem to have taken over the RW website!

Oh logged on again and it's all back to normal. Could be my phone or my imagination! It's been a very long day and it took over 2 hours to get round A10 and M25 this evening!

Looking forward to that Hot Chocolate tonight Mal
Edited: 23/11/2011 at 20:20
23/11/2011 at 20:34
Ha Ha. Bet Peter Griffin is in your dreams tonight
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.