Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

101 to 120 of 3,477 messages
17/10/2011 at 15:29
Not sure I've shared this with you yet but I have a dream to compete in this race next year.

http://www.mb10k.com/index.aspx

I have promised my wife a weekend in Manhattan if she wants to come along. In her typical manner she said yes but not if she has to get up early to come to the race itself (honestly I don't ask much but what I do ask is such hard work).

Anyway if the Reading HM goes well I'll be booking my tickets. With or without the wife!
17/10/2011 at 15:58

Sorry Boo - I have been quiet today but I’m a wee bit busy getting things ready for this weeks meetings in the big smoke.  I also had a student in this morning for an hour and had to extol the virtues of being an architect!  I try to be honest in these situations but I’m always conscious I may come across a little negative, so I miss out the bad bits such as difficult builders and clients and all the red tape that comes with the job and just talk about the beautiful buildings we create!

Having read your excellent race reports I’m feeling a tad left out and at the same time I’m itching for a run but I’m going to save myself for the club tomorrow night.  I’ll probably pay my subs and join up at the same time so there’s no turning back.

What did you think of the Manhattan thing – it has it all beach, sea, big buildings.  I lived in the US for 3 years in the early nineties and loved the place so going back to pound the streets would be quite satisfying for me.

17/10/2011 at 16:37

Wow am liking the look of that Manhattan race  how good would that be.  Am sure your wife will go along and support you in such a great place......of course if you struggled and had a spare ticket *cough cough*  haha

Have a good evening

17/10/2011 at 17:05

Booey, hope your jaw is okay now? Yeah, two HMs in four weeks, may be a bit ambitious since 10k is as far as I've gone.

Silver, that run looks amazing. Would love to go back to NYC, been there three times but I've developed a serious fear of flying over the last few years and don't imagine I'll be going back anytime soon.

17/10/2011 at 17:58
Haha! Like your style Boo

It does look good though doesn't it. I was using it as my goal before I signed up for Reading. Not sure what the date will be but it seems to be run every October. The Americans take sport v seriously so I will need to be on good form. Still if it all goes wrong there's always the shopping!

This cold weather is putting me off going out already. Must keep motivated after my last disappointing run.

17/10/2011 at 18:36
Doh, just realised Manhattan Beach is the other side
17/10/2011 at 20:57
Given everyones revelations of their ages I was thinking we should probably rename this thread the 40+ crowd. Sorry Stripes I know you are not quite there yet. We'd probably attract a wider audience as it seems to me that the vast majority of runners I meet are around our age. Obviously a sport for the mature, discerning individual.

By the way I have to confess that I missed my sons goal as I went to the car to pick up his water bottle. He doesn't score many so I was gutted when I got back and all the other Dads told me about it. He was also miffed with me. To think I've stood watching his football practices and matches through rain snow and sleet waiting for a moment like this for over a year and when it comes I miss it. If only we had action replays.
17/10/2011 at 21:07

Good idea Silver and I'll be able to rejoin next month!

I mentioned what I was doing last Sunday in a conversation with a customer last week and he said 'Oh I had the mid-life crisis and took up running for a while when I hit 40!'  Cheeky Sod

Oh I bet you were gutted at missing the goal. I know its not the same but at various times over the years there have been occasions where myself or friends at the match have missed goals. One fella missed all three in a three-nil win once because he was buying tickets for another game and they were all scored in the first six minutes.

17/10/2011 at 21:34
That was cheeky although I was at the dentist this morning and she said her husband also started running at 39 so maybe it is a muddle age thing. In
My mind 50+ is middle aged anyway so we've got ages to go yet!

What footie team do you follow Stripes. Is it a local team or one we'd all have heard of? My boy is a mad Liverpool fan as Steven Gerrard is his hero. Barcelona come a close second for him and his mates as they think Lionel Messi is God.

I spent an hour on the FA web site booking tickets for England Spain next month. It's the one great thing about having a football mad son I get to relive my youth again only this time with the money to do everything I want - within reason!
17/10/2011 at 22:35

Ha Ha. Seems like everyone thinks we are losing our marbles!

Your son has the most tremendous taste I must say

I've been a Season Ticket Holder at Anfield for 17 years, started supporting them as a little kid.

That is why everyone was so stunned that I avoided alcohol on Saturday at one of the biggest games of the season especially when they knew it was because of running the next day. Mind you I did get plenty of good luck messages. My ultimate aim would be to run next years Liverpool Marathon but having read the reviews last week it seems it is an incredibly tough course. I know the one hill that had to be traversed after 16 miles and I'm not sure I could run up it from scratch!

I noticed Booey mention that she has a Garmin, do you have one? I really would like one because I am hopeless at judging my pace and like a lot of newcomers think I probably do need to learn to slow down at times.

17/10/2011 at 22:42

Results are now online for my run yesterday. I was 121st of 272 in 51.00 which I am totally delighted with

but they spelt my name wrong

17/10/2011 at 22:55
That's a great coincidence Stripes. I loved Liverpool as a kid in the 70s and 80s (who didn't!) and I'm now getting the chance to relive it all with my boy. One of the Dads at football goes to every home game with his son and we went up to the Newcastle game with him last season. It's a long way for a 90min game but I promised him we could go again later this season.

I think the new signings have been great but I'm still waiting for them all to gel. It'll happen soon and then it's top 4 all the way.

I don't have a Garmin but I know they are good. I have been using the Runmeter app on my IPhone in an arm band. It's surprisingly comfy and really accurate. It also logs all your runs and let's you see graphs of your pace etc. I've logged around 200k on there over the last 4 months.

I noticed a lot of the guys at the club had Garmins so I think that's the way to go. I'd like to know what Booey thinks on this and which one she would recommend.

Sorry for the football talk too Boo. It's so easy to get carried away but I promise not to forget the reason we are on this website (and not the LFC one!)

17/10/2011 at 23:41

Ha Ha. Really weird, we could have been sat near to each other at some stage!

Think we will be in a battle for fourth with Spurs and maybe Arsenal to be honest as United, City and Chelsea all look very strong. Things are certainly improving though and are unrecognisable from this time last year with the ownership debacle over and Kenny in charge.

Hopefully the parliamentary debate on Hillsborough will make some difference with the official documents set to be released.

Yeah and Booey if and when you read this we promise to leave the football chat out from now on

I have used the imapmyrun app which has been useful but having read some reviews of the Garmin forerunners I like the idea of it beeping at you to tell you to either speed up or slow down, maybe its cheating but I'll take all the help I can.

I've found another race which I may enter. The Shepshed 7. It is 7 miles, two laps of a park in Leicestershire, about 35 mins drive from me and in 3 weeks time. 

18/10/2011 at 08:14
Morning All!

Club run tonight so gearing up for 6/7 miles. I'll try to eat healthy all day so I don't have to carry too much extra baggage. Weather looks good although it's blustery but that shouldn't effect street running.

I have a couple of long meetings on site today that I'm sure will go on and on so I may not be able to post until later.

Have a good day all.
seren nos    pirate
18/10/2011 at 09:05

Just popping in to say I'm glad everyones enjoying the running...............it is good to have a few goals for spring to help you get through the winter training..............I forced myself out in the rain, wind and dark last night because I knew that someone on the threads would expect me to do the run...........once I was out I enjoyed most of it..................but hard to get yourself through tyhe doors sometimes......

keep going

18/10/2011 at 09:27

Morning all *waves*

Hi Seren, welcome to our over 40 thread  hehe

My jaw feels loads better today, must have been how I fell asleep

Not a huge football fan but am patriotic so will always cheer England on.  I lost all respect a few years ago when their wages just got so silly and they started sleeping with whoever they felt like  

I can watch most sports but my favourites are - any Motor Racing especially F1, Rugby (England), Tennis (huge Rafa fan), Athletics running of course, cycling always glued to the tour de france big Cav and Wiggo fan

I have a Garmin 305 its fantastic and does so much that I don't use  they are very expensive but I got mine off ebay for £70 which is a bargain.  It has a heart rate monitor which I still have not used  I use it everytime I run to record distance, time, pace etc then I record every single run since I started on a website called fetcheveryone.com, its so good have a look.

The cold weather doesn't put me off running at all, I think I may enjoy it more than when it was very hot to be honest.  I have bookmarked so many races I don't know if I have the time haha

Stripes - I think a month between 2 HM's will be no problem at all, even full mara's would prob be enough time.

Is it just me that I have no desire at the moment to even consider doing at full marathon   even thinking 12 months ahead I just get no feeling of 'yes I need to do that'  alot of people on here have said I prob wont and don't consider one until you have been seriously running 2 years

18/10/2011 at 10:26
Hi seren. Well done on going out in the nasty weather. Yeah. I expect to find the winter months testing at times. Got my first half as a goal and hoping that the race bug will spur me on. I've not hit that point where I don't wanna set off yet. Had lots of moments when I am struggling and think it would be easy to stop but I almost always manage to fight them off.
Booey that is a real bargain. The more basic 205 is £80 on Amazon.
I would love to think that I could run a marathon one day but am not giving it serious consideration as yet. Still at the stage where a half seems like a huge distance.
I am gonna go for the two races in four weeks. They are after all in the two best cities in the country
18/10/2011 at 11:47
Like you Boo I have no desire to do a marathon. It just seems like too much hard work esp considering the amount of training. The HM is going to test me to the limit so if I can do that I'll be happy.

Whenever we talk about running further or faster I have to remember where and why I started which was to get fit and tonprove to myself that I could actually run 5k without stopping. (I couldn't run to the shop St the end of the road before)

I guess it's human nature to want to continue to improve but if I can get to the point that I can comfortably fo a 10k on a regulate basis I'll be a happy bunny! Not quite there yet though!
18/10/2011 at 11:49
This flipping phone has a mind of it's own. Apologies for the spellings.
18/10/2011 at 11:54
By the way. Can anyone advise on what to eat before going out? I usually run on empty and eat afterwards but I don't think this is doing me any favours as I quickly run out of energy.

Is pasta the way to go and if so how long before.

All advice gratefully received.
101 to 120 of 3,477 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.