Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

141 to 160 of 3,475 messages
20/10/2011 at 12:22

Yeah the site has been down

Depends how far you are running re the rest.  If you follow a schedule you don't rest everyday and its the only way to build up your resistence.  I am currently following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Half Marathon Schedule am on week 3 at the moment and all is good

Didn't use my flashing lights last night was still light, prob will tonight  once I get the Brooks Nighlife Cap with the flashing light in the back I will be the running chrimbo tree  haha

Well Curly (husband)  is home later from Weymouth, he entered Speed Week (Windsurfing) I am so pleased for him he came 1st in his group yesterday as they got the results this morning  and on Tuesday he came 4th so I think he is pretty happy  

20/10/2011 at 13:41

Boo - I'll be looking for the glow over Bedfordshire from your flashing lights this evening  Haha!

Your hubby did well - he must be good - I windsurfed a few times when I was younger but I just couldnt get the knack and ended up tangled up with the fishermens lines in the corner of the reservoir!  that and i get really bad sea sickness which ruled me out of watersports!

Having this notification thingy turned off is not nearly as much fun is it.?  I miss the spontaneity (sp?) of our chats and your witty sense of humour is not quite the same with an hours delay!!

Oh well, just have to go with it I guess - unless you fancy a job here?

Thought Id go mad on the smiley faces as I may not get many more chances today!

20/10/2011 at 13:53

If its glowing over Bedford thats not me  I am in Northants  haha

Where is Stripes today  has he been repremanded at work for abusing the internet  

My running mileage seems to be down this month  I have 11 days to get my act together

20/10/2011 at 14:00

Oh its all the same to me in that part of the world.  I'll look North that should be good enough!

Stripes has gone to ground today - maybe he's joined a real running thread like that other one you keep dissappearing to!

How many miles do you do a month?  I try to get in 50k on average? Blimey that sounds a lot doesnt it?

20/10/2011 at 14:11

I record it all on Fetch, hold on I will have a look

brb

20/10/2011 at 14:28

July - 43

Aug - 62

Sept - 59

Oct so far - 37

Thats all in miles

I think I will clock quite abit more by the end of the month as when I am away in Newquay for by Birthday I intend on running alot, gonna try hard to do my first 10 miles  yulp!

20/10/2011 at 14:47
OMG that's a lot of running Booey! You are a machine!

I checked my Runmeter app and was quite pleased with the 50k a month but your 62m in August puts me to shame. Did you sleep in that month?

See just as I start thinking I can call myself a real runner I see something like that and realise I'm still just pootling about. Oh well As I said before I need to remember where and why it started!

The break in Newquay sounds good bet you can't wait. I loved my runs in Swanage as they were so picturesque. I'd love to be back here now.

Didn't run this lunch as I was a bit too busy but I'll try and get in a 5k this evening. Hi Viz and tights again me thinks. There's something attracting me to those tights although it's a bit odd sitting here thinking I can't wait to get home to put my tights on!

20/10/2011 at 15:04

Thats nothing at all compared to some of the real machines on this forum

You are a real runner, it doesn't matter what your mileage is as long as you enjoy it  and don't forget I have alot more spare time than you.  Just keep getting out when you can and try and get a race booked  that will spur you along and putting the tights on of course  

Really am looking forward to running by the sea

20/10/2011 at 15:30
What are the real machines running per month then just to make me feel really inadequate?

I think I now have the perfect night in planned it involves Haribos, Red wine and wesring tights - just don't tell Mrs Silver!

Do you think I should be a bit more focused in these posts. I know we are here to discuss running but my mind wanders off piste most days.

I hope no serious runners read this thread! Present company accepted that is

20/10/2011 at 15:42

Nah lets keep the thread just as it is, my mundane days are far brighter having a chuckle with you  we do talk sensible a fair bit  haha

No idea what the real runners do a month but who cares

Have you tried the really fizzy haribos that make you pull that funny face when you eat one  love them hehe

20/10/2011 at 15:52

Right am off at 4

Don't forget to look for the lights northwards  haha

Have a good evening

20/10/2011 at 15:55
Love them but they are covered in sugar aren't they. Having 2 kids means there's always a lot of sweet stuff tucked in drawers or hidden in cupboards in our house. Haribos on 2 for £2 are v popular.

I know we are bad parents letting out kids eat sweets but the truth is it keeps them quiet for 10 minutes and that's all the justification I need. It's the same with watching tele - v bad for them but v good for the parents!

My 7yo came out with me running on Sun morning a couple of weeks ago on his bike. He was a nightmare as he kept weaving on and off the kerb cutting me up making me stop and start. It was the most stressful run I've ever had and by the end I could have clipped him round the ear!
20/10/2011 at 20:16

Hi Folks,

Hope you've had a good day. Didn't run last night, went to a gig in Birmingham and am like you Silver, don't run succesive days at the moment. Know I will have to eventually if I wanna step up but at the moment I am sticking to a vague interpretiation of a half marathon schedule I found which has two midweek runs and a longer weekend run.

Went out early afternoon and tried both a new route and some new gear. Proper running socks felt great but first go in the base layer top and felt very strange being in something so tight. Breathing wasn't so great and think it was because of that. New route didn't help, its amazing how you dont notice undulations when you are driving but it was a lot more up and down than I realised. 5.24 miles in total but boy was it a struggle. The highpoint was racing an old lad in his mobility scooter

Blimey Booey, ten miles? I am a long way from contemplating that. I have had a couple of short runs by the sea. Did two miles along the front when I was in Brighton just after I started running outside. Absolutely loved it. I also went for a jog in the Jardin du Luxembourg when i was in Paris for the weekend a few weeks ago. That was amazing, like a crazy running racetrack at 8a.m. People everywhere going in different directions. Great fun.

Love the story about trying to run  with your son Silver

Am off shopping for Haribo at the Asda later on

20/10/2011 at 20:36
Hi Stripes glad you are back. Like the image of you racing someone in a mobility scooter -that's a classic.

Hope you won although those things shift don't they.

I'm sitting here contemplating a late run but can't motivate myself again partly because I have just had a big old Chinese (Kung Po chicken with Cashew nuts) and partly because I have a v busy day tomorrow and Im out with Mrs Silver to a comedy gig in the evening. I won't be able to get out tomorrow so I think I'll leave it until Saturday morning and get out early doors for a 5k.

Feel a bit of a let down at the moment compared to you guys but I'll pick it up again shortly. I blame it on the change in weather and dark nights. It's annoying cos as soon as I do get out there I know I'll love it.
20/10/2011 at 22:37

Thanks for the welcome.

I stopped neglecting the children after the baby called childline with the power of her mind! The ducks were pleased, I think they were in on it!

Did a very little plod tonight, roll on Saturday. I'll let you know how I do but I'm aiming to finish at some point anything else is a bonus!

How long have you all been running? I feel like the newset newbie there is! (Not so glad I knocked you off the top spot Stripes!)

20/10/2011 at 22:51

Hi Silver,

I think we will all go through spells like that. It sounds like you have got a tough job and added to your family commitments means you have a heck of a lot to fit in. I am self-employed and my business is struggling big time so I have plenty of time to slot runs in, hence me going out at 1.30 today. Every cloud eh

I do love Chinese food, I had another salad but am not far off my target weight so if I keep the running going I can ease the odd treat back in soon

You would have laughed if you had seen the sight of me trying to make the corner ahead of this fella, if he'd got there first I would have been stuck behind him all the way down a narrow street on the edge of the town centre(can't believe I ran so close to the centre by the way, I usually choose routes where there are as few people about as possible to laugh at me!)

Vaguely remember seeing a photographer near the halfway/finish area last week, had thought no more about it until I saw a report on the race in the local newspaper earlier. There was a link to a site with hundreds of photos of the race. My god I don't look pretty

Who is the comedy gig? I've been to hundreds of concerts over the years but don't recall ever seeing a comedian. My step-daughter went to see Lee Evans at the o2 a couple of weeks ago. He sweats as much as me on a five mile run! 

20/10/2011 at 23:04

Hi Mal,

Ha ha, to this day I still jokingly tell my Mum that I'm calling childline if she says anything I don't like.

You'll be amazed how small increases in distance covered build up until you suddenly find you are covering distances you never dreamed were possible.

I have had a treadmill for about 4 years but had only used it in a couple of short spells until May when I got on the scales after a few days away and was 14st 11lb, bearing in mind that I am only 5ft 7in I was horrified and knew I ought to do something. My treadmill plods built up until mid August  when I finally plucked up the courage to go outside. So glad I did because I think the treadmill would have bored me to death by now. Running outside may be more difficult because the treadmill does so much for you but outside is so much more rewarding and as we are all finding totally addictive.

Even my trip to the supermarket this evening was dominated by thoughts of running. Got some of those Quaker Oats sachets, lots of wholewheat Pasta and most importantly a big bag of small bags of Haribos(not sure that makes sense)

21/10/2011 at 08:24
Morning All!

Stripes you don't need to explain anything on the Haribos front I know exactly what you mean by a big bag of small bags. Still lovng that image of you and the mobility man by the way. It could be a great TV sketch.

We're off to see Mikey Flanagan to tonight in High Wycombe. He's the cockney fella off the tele. My wife's choice really but he's had good reviews. We went to see Jimmy Carr a couple of weeks back but to be honest he wasn't great and some of his humour just doesn't fo it for me. We used to do music gigs many moons ago but it's been a while since we saw anyone. As usual kids restrict what you can do after the sun goes down (in every way!)

Mal welcome back good to hear you are still getting our there and enjoying it. It's defo a bug but a v healthy one. I started using the C25K programme which got me from not being able to run at all to running 5k in about 6 weeks. Im slowly pushing up the miles but I'm still some way behind Boo and Stripes. It's also v difficult with small kids as I'm sure you know. My wife has always worked so we meet each other half way with housework and child duties etc. My boys are 4 and 7 so it's a bit easier now. Stick with it though when you can.

Keep us updated with your progress and don't worry about Childline - what's the worst thing that could happen you get a visit from Esther Rantzen (!?!)

Boo how did the run go last night? I saw a glow on the horizon to the North and assumed you had made it out!

21/10/2011 at 09:05

Club run was good we did about 3.5 miles, one of the ladies has a hip problem at the moment so we said whatever she wanted to do we would stick with her, the other 3 did a couple more miles.  I am defo going to invest in a head torch, lady had one on last night and it really helped us, lots of street lights turned off round here council cuts etc really not nice in places

Really glad I made the move to join 2 running clubs, getting to no people more now and feel part of the group.  We have a club meeting next tues with DRR to sort out their annual race next year and also a chrimbo meal

Stripes - what gig did you go to and where?  I go to loads of gigs especially in Brum and have done over many years, well into my music and have some abstract tastes.  At home I have made a huge collage of all my concert tickets right back to when I first started.  Also seen loads of comedians, took my folks to see Peter Kaye a few months ago, love him.

Oh and the little bags in the big bags of Haribos are ideal for in the pocket at races

The base layer shouldn't be so tight you can't breath Stripes

Silver - so when you running next?  Anymore thoughts on a treadmill?

21/10/2011 at 10:46
Sounds like a good run Boo. I know what you mean about the head torch it's difficult to see anything round our way at night and the drop kerbs between drives are a real hazard. In fact it's safer to run on the road than the pavement as there are less pot holes.

No further thoughts on the treadmill. I did mention it to Mrs Silver as a chrimbo pressie but I got the usual disagreeing look.

Now feeling desperate to get out after 2 days off but it's not possible today. I think zim going to go for an early one tomorrow morning round the village. Put the kids infront of the tele and give them some Haribos and they will be as happy as Larry for an hour while Mrs S dozes upstairs. God it's hard work keeping everyone happy :-0

141 to 160 of 3,475 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.