Excited new runner

Lurking no more!

161 to 180 of 3,477 messages
21/10/2011 at 11:18
Hi all. The gig was an Irish Rock band called The Answer. Been to see them a few times. I'm mainly into Rocky type stuff. The Wildhearts are my favourite band of all time. Went to every gig of a UK tour a few years ago. It was only 7 dates but nearly finished us off it was so tiring
Glad the club stuff is working out so well Booey.
Running in the dark is another thing I have yet to experience.
21/10/2011 at 11:22

I don't know how people manage with kids  I am not child minded at all and knew from an early age I never wanted any.  Always been the strong independent type which makes me quite selfish I am afraid  I have 1 niece and 2 nephews  so at least one of us gave the folks some grandchildren

21/10/2011 at 11:53
My wife is also a strong independent type Boo and I think she's the first to admit she is not a natural mother. She never wanted kids so when our first came along it was a shock and a complete change to our lifestyles. When the second came along it was an even bigger shock and a massive change to our lifestyle.

One is manageable between 2 working parents as you can juggle him between jobs and medtings etc but two is a whole different ball gam esp when they are young.

It's a permanent compromise when you have kids and I'm often unsure how it all fits together every day/ week/ year! We have to rely on a childminder for part of the week who is brilliant but expensive!

I have to say as mucj as I love my boys I often long for the days when we were free and had the money to do whatever we liked. Once you have kids your own life always comes second.

Now I remember why I started running to get away for an hour and do something for myself for once.
21/10/2011 at 12:17

I guess its that famous line that everyone must quote you 'make the most of them being young they soon grow up'

Getting out running alone is a good stress reliever and time to have a think

21/10/2011 at 12:31

I really love having children, Mr Mala doesn't get a look in! I'm on Maternity leave at the moment, I wish I could always stay with the children but I'll have to go back to work in July.  I work nights so I can spend more time with my little brood. Having said that I do like the chance to sneak off for half an hour to go running!

Booey, the club sounds like it's brilliant for you, It's nice to hear positive experiences of it. I don't think being a strong independent type and being selfish are necessarily linked.

Silver it sounds like you have lots of time with your boys. Your achievements sound pretty good from here! I haven't lost any weight at all running yet but as I'm still doing piddling distanced this may explain it. It has helped me tone up a bit and the wobbling jelly belly looks a little less intimidating.

Stripes, running in the dark does not sound like fun, I've had to stick to pavements by well lit roads instead of my lovely route by the local river. I've already been jeered at by drunken louts as I was running along the main road into town.

Nervously awaiting tomorrow morning's 5k!

21/10/2011 at 12:48

Mal - good luck for tomorrow  my first 5K was a Race for Life back in July, it started my race bug

21/10/2011 at 13:06
Best of luck with your 5k Mal. Im sure it will spur you on to do more races.

At my last Parkrun there was a Mum with a buggy who finished 5k running and walking so there's no excuse for you not to get out there whenever you want!

Just kidding - it looked hardwork and imagine if that baby had kicked off in the middle of the run!

Off comms this afternoon as I have to visit clients office in West London - I ask you who wants to meet on Friday afternoon let alone drive in and out of London! Have a great weekend all if we don't speak again.
21/10/2011 at 13:20

Thanks Silver, you have a good one too. Off to Liverpool tomorrow afternoon but not drinking much because I want to be fit for a good run Sunday. Can't believe I've just typed that

There was a similar sight at my race last week. An obviously fit and talented guy came past me pushing a toddler in a buggy, never saw him again so he obviously finished well ahead of me. God knows how quick he would be on his own! Had forgotten about that, you lot reminded me, gonna look for him on the photo's now

Good luck again with the race Mal, sure you will love it, this time last week I was terrified, now I can't wait for the next one!

Right then, am off to open the Haribos

21/10/2011 at 13:25

God, I've got no excuses now, all these people pushing their children in pushchairs and racing. Am certainly not a dedicated enough mother to take the children with me!

21/10/2011 at 14:10

Off at 3, have a great weekend everyone

Happy running/racing

22/10/2011 at 14:50
Quick stop by to say I did the 5k in 37 mins with 2 90 second walking breaks. It's a start.
22/10/2011 at 17:02
Hi Mal. Let me be the first to congratulate you on completing the 5k and with just 2 short walks. You should be very proud. It will be plain sailing from here.

I remember doing my first continuous 5k back in June and I was on a high for the rest of the week. You've got there much quicker than I did too so well done.

I also got out at 7.30 this morning. I ran about 5k round the village then stopped at the Spar for a bacon sarnie on the way home. I figure you have to treat yourself after so much exertion!

Have a glass of plonk this evening after the kids are down you deserve it.

Well done again!
22/10/2011 at 19:58
Well done Mal.
22/10/2011 at 20:04
Hi Stripes. How were Liverpool today. Disappointing result against Norwich.

Good luck on the run tomorrow. I'll be out at 7.30 ish myself all being well. Need to crank up the mileage a bit to keep the pounds off!

Did you manage to keep off the booze?
22/10/2011 at 20:13

You made me laugh Silver, no glass of plonk today. None in the house but I am really pleased with myself. I love that you got a bacon sarnie on the way home!

Thank you Stripes. At least I've made a start. I have something to compare improvements to and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

I'm going to ease back a little bit now and enjoy running so I don't get disheartened with the cold, dark nights then hopefully challenge myself again in about 6 weeks and see how I do.

What are you all working towards now?

22/10/2011 at 22:55
Well done again.
On train home. Had good day but awful game.
22/10/2011 at 23:09

I'm home and working towards being sober

Another race on Nov 6th.7 miles. eek, Further than I've ever been. Aiming to beat 1 hour but that will be tough.

Gonna go out for a run tomorrow and pretend the football, beer and kebab today didn't happen!

23/10/2011 at 07:57
Stripes sounds like another poor display from the 'pool. Disappointing. At least you cheered yourself with beer and a kebab. A man after my own heart.

I had a foodie day yesterday. Bacon sarnie Maccies with boys at lunch inc a Mcflurry and some Chocolate on way home. I'm off out in a min to run off the excesses too. Will try for 10k on my own for first time. 3 laps of the village is exactly 6.6miles so that would work.

My other team Leeds ( that's where I grew up but I never go to watch them) had another good win yesterday so that's a bonus.

Mal are you aching today? Hope you relaxed with your feet up last night. Can't believe you haven't got any plonk in the house! Very healthy and responsible of you.

Right I'm off will call in later for update on my 10k.

23/10/2011 at 10:51
Well I did 2 laps of the village so 4.4 miles. I could have done another one but thought I'd come back for a shower before the RWC started. My boy came round on his bike again too and he kept from under my feet which was good although he did keep chatting the whole way. Mental note to self running and kids don't mix!

So not quite the solo 10k I was looking for but a good 11-12k over the last 2 days which I'm pleased with. Really enjoyed getting out there too couldn't wait to get my shoes on so that's a v positive sign.

Right off to watch The Lion King at 11.30 - the 2d one as the boys and I can't stand the glasses - cant wait. No really I can't wait its a great film.

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle all!
23/10/2011 at 12:45
Well done on the run Silver. Did a 6.63 mile plod myself. Decided to take it steady so it took 1.00.47. A lot slower than last week. Don't think yesterday was the ideal prep for a run
161 to 180 of 3,477 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.