fast mile time?

7 messages
09/08/2012 at 22:49

Hi i'm new to the whole fitness thing. I'm 29 i'm 6 ft tall and weigh 12 stone and never really ran before but I do some cycling. I've been running for around 2 months on a treadmill 3 times a week, as well as weights, rowing and sit ups, and thought i would try a speed test over a mile (i usually run a couple of miles at a moderate pace) and i hit 1 mile in 4:35 ish (the timer went on a few seconds after i stopped) i'm not entirely sure how much easier it is to run on a treadmill than the road but i'm sure i could have gone a bit faster too. As im new my staminas not great yet, i can do 2 miles in just under 12 minutes at my regular pace, is that good? have you got any tips to improve on my stamina? I have definitely caught the running bug and will be migrating out to the great outdoors soon as i have a 20 mile bike trail right at my doorstep.

cougie    pirate
09/08/2012 at 23:31
Blimey that is very good going. Faster than anything I've ever done.
It could be that the treadmill is calibrated slightly fast though ?

You could try doing a local parkrun ? They're free to enter and most areas have them. 9am Saturdays. That would give you a better idea of your standard.

As to getting better - just run a bit more.
09/08/2012 at 23:36

Agree with above - Parkrun would be a good idea. If the treaddy is right - you have started very well, you should be able to do a 5k in 18-19 mins..

10/08/2012 at 08:48

Hi gryle, unfortunately running on the treadmill is alot easier than running on the road, so don't look into it that much. However 4:35 is faster than what most people will ever achieve, I agree with the above, participate in a parkrun.

To improve your stamina, theres no tricks to it, just run more. Small increases in mileage a week will reduce the risk of injury, don't go out too hard too fast.

Good Luck! 

10/08/2012 at 11:54

Grief, I really would be surprised for anyone new to running to run sub 5 mins for the mile......let alone 4:35, its borderline impossible!

There is only one way to find out if/or by how much the treadmill is flattering you........and its to get to your local running track and do a honest time trial. One mile is just a few metres longer than 4 laps of a standard 400m track (1,609 metres). I'd really like to hear how you do.

Two miles in just under 12 mins is a good intermediate time. Again, the treadmill might be flattering you. It is much, much less impressive than 4:35 for the mile though!

10/08/2012 at 12:09

Mr Gryle - based on running for two months I don't think you have run a 4:35 mile.

Try what Jamie suggests or buy a Garmin watch and just find a flat bit of road.

Perhaps we can all have a sweepstake on your mile time and you can report back.

I'm going for 6mins 45 secs.

PS I ran a 4 min mile on a treadmill once (set at a slight incline) - I think though it might actually have been a 4 minute KM based on equivalent road time!

10/08/2012 at 12:38

Ooooo, the sweepstake is an interesting one! I think Mr Gryle will beat 6:45, tall & slim and with a cycling background and 2 months of treadmill running......I'll go for 5:45-5:55 with decent even pacing on a track.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.