Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Lapsed runner and foodie, almost 4st overweight , seeks like-minded souls for mutual encouragement to get back into shape

181 to 200 of 778 messages
08/09/2013 at 17:46

Congratulations Rachel - that is a fantastic time for your first half marathon and it's great that you enjoyed it.  What's next for you - application for London Marathon?  Not sure when that opens but it's usually about now I think and you'll have until next April to train.  You've come a long way in a short amount of time you should be really proud.  

08/09/2013 at 18:07

Thank you!  I'm in the ballot for the London marathin - you had to enter it last May, so thought I'd just chance it. You don't find out until October if you're in or not. Got another half in 2 weeks, a half booked in march. The rest,we'll see.

08/09/2013 at 18:15

ooh good luck hope you get in London that would be good.  Where's your next half?  You're definitely going for it aren't you.  I think entering races is a good way to keep focused and makes sure you keep running and improving. I haven't signed up for the 10k race I plan to do yet - should get on with it......

08/09/2013 at 18:18

Next half is the Richmond Running Festival. It's in walking distance and will be along towpath for most of it. Unlike today with huge crowds on closed roads, it'll be on public paths but smaller. it's also flat which is very different than today.  I love the fact that the medal is a bottle opener We get a free beer at the end of it

08/09/2013 at 18:57

Wow Rachel, seriously well done! That's rather a lot faster than my Half! Liking the sound of a race with beer!

Cathy, I know what you mean, I rarely do out-and-backs, even the runs from home tend to be slightly varied routes; but yesterday I wanted to run longer than I have done in months, and so opted for the Brunel Trail in Neyland as it's relatively flat (well a gentle uphill one way), so three miles of up and three miles of down. Everywhere else here is so hilly I just wanted a change.

Rest day today, then run with the ladies tomorrow night.

08/09/2013 at 19:12

Rachel, you're amazing! That's a fantastic time, expecially for a first half. I'd be absolutely delighted with a time like that - if I ever run a half marathon, that is. Brilliant stuff. And another in 2 weeks? If it's flat I reckon you'll beat your time. Huge congratulations to you. Now put your feet up. 

08/09/2013 at 19:15

Sorry - I forgot to respond to Cathy about 'out and backs'. My current long run is an out and back. I actually rather like it, probably because it's ever so slightly more down hill on the way back, and also once I turn around I know I'm over half way done.

That said, I can totally understand the potential for boredom so I'm sure the novelty will pass. Just want to reach the end of the road I'm currently trying to conquer (it finishes where a motorway begins) and the run there and back is 15 miles in total. Once I've done it, I'll change route.

08/09/2013 at 19:40

thanks Jae. this thing called training actually works!  definitely have my feet up and treating myself to some fizzy Cava  

Cheers Tina, can't quite beleive it myself. Being very surprised at waht I can do. Need to dig in and do more!

08/09/2013 at 22:40

Really well done Rachel, absolutely brilliant result for your first half! You've done our little group proud!

09/09/2013 at 12:35

Rachel - that is fantastic! Very well done! I'm sure the sense of acheivement was phenomenal! I remember getting quite emotional when I completed my first half. I hope you make it into the VLM - I'm in the ballot too, so fingers crossed.

Jae - definitely do the crossing of IOW! Just take it easy and you'll do fine!

Nipples. (First time I've started a sentence that way...) I've found that regardless of tee shirt quality I still get serious nipple chafing. I just have to face the fact that until I've lost more weight I'm going to have jiggly moobs. My solution (I tried vaseline) was elastoplast fabric plasters. Its the only stuf sticky enough to stay on and is the only barrier thats really been effective. However,it does rip a few hairs off when you remove them, but its a shorter sharper pain.

I managed to complete my 14 miler with a HORRIBLE hill at mile 12-13 which slowed me right down to nearly 12 minutes a mile. But then the last mile was all downhill and logged a rapid 8.45 last leg. Though I wish I hadn't - legs were sore for the rest of saturday and all day sunday - this morning they aren't too bad but hope tbhey'll feel better before I run tonightb or it's going to b a drag!

09/09/2013 at 13:17

Rachel - Well done that a great time for your first half if I can get near that at the GNR this weekend I will be pleased.

Cathy - The Liversedge half route is where I normally run or sections of it and I really like it even though its hilly.  I joined the Roberttown Runners about six weeks ago and we run the hills every week but I have found that this has really helped my fitness as if you can run the hills then the flat seems much easier.  So I bet you are fitter than you think.  Me and the other half are signed up to do the Leeds Abbey Dash, its a great run as its a nice flat course.  I am also going to do the Liversedge Half I think as a warm up to my next big challenge the Paris Marathon.

Its my 1st one, I must be mad but I am looking forward to starting the training for that in November.

I am also thinking of doing the Dewsbury 10K if you fancy that

Matty - Well done on the 14 miles that great going

09/09/2013 at 13:40

I agree about the hill running - it makes flat running seem so much easier!

I'm also planning to run the paris marathon - if I don't get into London. it will be my first one too and also think I am mad/stupid! But it'll make a nice weekend away with the missus if nothing else.

09/09/2013 at 19:52

Right - I've announced my moment of Isle of Wight madness on Facebook. If I don't do it I'll be ridiculed. No pressure then. 

5k tomorrow. First run since my 10 miler on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

09/09/2013 at 20:14
Good on you, Facebook can be a great motivator!

Did 7 miles recovery run tonight including a massive hill. And it felt amazing! Really feel like I've turned a corner and am starting to peak!
09/09/2013 at 20:36

A 7 mile recovery? Wow, that's pretty impressive. A few weeks back that ws my best distance. Of course I've moved on since then (ahem).

09/09/2013 at 22:12

The pace wasn't impressive! I intended doing less but I felt really good so just extended my loop.

i've been at it since January so I've had much longer to increase my distances - you are well on the right track so just keep logging those miles!

09/09/2013 at 22:52

Hey Lesley you'll be fit if you keep running up those hills near you. I'm contemplating the idea of doing the half as it's in Feb so gives me the time to train up. I might get the chance to see you in Leeds in November.  Paris marathon sounds quite romantic. I did the Amsterdam half quite a few years ago. Top moment for me as the finish was in the Olympic stadium and as I'm very slow there were no other runners around me so had the rush of pride as just my name was announced to the stadium. I'll never forget it, such a great feeling when you're feeling tired but happy to be finishing.

Hey Jae well done for committing to the IOW challenge. You'll definitely do it. 

Matty 14 miles followed by 7! You're amazing! 

10/09/2013 at 06:56

Got to love the way everyone on here motivates and inspires through their actions (and kind words).

Is this the best thread ever? Yes!

10/09/2013 at 09:45

Jae - With all of the training that you have been doing I think you will be fine with the IOW challenge, you may surprise yourself  Its great to have something to aim for, it really helps motivate me I dont know about you guys!

Cathy - Your Amsterdam experience sounds fantastic, what a high point, you must have been so pleased with yourself.  Finishing the GNR in 2010 felt like that for me.   I had a health scare in April that year and had to stop all exercise for 2 months and didnt think I would be able to get ready in time.  When I finished it I was blubbing running across the finishing line I was so happy.  What time are you running a 10K in?

10/09/2013 at 12:56

Only managed 2.8 miles at lunchtime - but I have an excuse. My usual route was blocked so I had to improvise. Nonetheless I did it in 26.44, so I'd have beaten 30 minutes, I reckon. 

Very nice to get out again. Didn't run with music, just enjoyed being outside. Wish there wasn't so many people walking aggressive looking dogs that seem desperate to make my acquaintance, and not in a friendly way. The other day a Boxer went ballistic trying to get at me and I was walking at the time!

181 to 200 of 778 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.