Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Lapsed runner and foodie, almost 4st overweight , seeks like-minded souls for mutual encouragement to get back into shape

61 to 80 of 778 messages
24/08/2013 at 18:19

Hey Jae

Thanks for that I'm feeling fairly positive at the moment but any encouragement is helpful.  I certainly don't feel that 10k is within reach at the moment but will possibly look at a 12 week  programme to help me get some structure to my training. 

Natural laziness is a hazard!  Thanks for your positive thoughts

24/08/2013 at 20:50

No problem. Good luck - post your progress here as you go along, if you like. I post mine just so I can see how I'm progressing.

25/08/2013 at 12:43

I've been to a zumba class this morning which I'm calling cross training! It's something completely different and appears to use different muscles as i'm definitely aching in unusual places. Will run again tomorrow. 

25/08/2013 at 18:49

Nice one. Bet that uses a lot of calories, too. I'm also running again tomorrow - had a day off today - just a 5k run, nothing too quick or strenuous. Having a go at speedwork (as per my training plan) on Tuesday. Gulp!

25/08/2013 at 19:09

Hello every one. I didn't realise how many people have the same issues as I have. I am feeling very motivated now. I started running when I was 45 and during that time I have done some big races, but since retiring last year I have become lazy and fat. I intend to keep linked up here for some real inspiration good luck all.

25/08/2013 at 23:59

Hey uni

Yes I think it really helps to know you're not alone having 'lapsed'!  I used to run races and loved it then moved house and life happened for a couple of years and somehow I just stopped running.  Then I drove past a woman running along one of my favourite roads and I suddenly felt very jealous and thought why am I not doing that? So here I am trying to rebuild some fitnesss and get back the joy of running. It's tough at the moment but having people to encourage and share the little achievements really does make a difference.  So go for it and tell us how you're doing! 

26/08/2013 at 09:44

Hi Uni, 

Welcome to Slowly Losing Fat Club! 

Had a great run this mornng. Went out with every intention of following my training plan's 5k easy run, but I was feeling competitive so I went for it and ran the full 5k in under 30 mins (29.45, to be precise). Feeling very chuffed so might have an enormous pizza to celebrate.....just kidding. 

Didn't lose any weight this week, but I have had a few drinks so I'll have to get on top of that and cut those out. Did stick to my calorie limit, though, so perhaps it's the extra muscle from running (he says, clutching at straws). I do need some new clothes. My jeans are hanging off me, so I'm clearly losing weight. 

Have a fantastic bank holiday Monday, everyone.

26/08/2013 at 09:50

Well done Jae that's impressive running! I haven't got out yet so you're making me feel guilty. I wouldn't buy new clothes until you get near your target weight but maybe you haven't got that much to lose if you're running whippet-like? 

It's how you feel not the numbers that count on those scales and you should be feeling pretty good. Well done.

26/08/2013 at 10:33

Thanks Cathy,

I've a couple of stone to lose, but I feel so much better compared with a couple of months ago - I'm a work in progress. I won't pretend it wasn't hard running this morning, but I like setting myself little challenges. Next weekend I'll be running 8 miles, my furthest ever. 

You're right about it not being about the scales, but they do draw me in. Nonetheless, I do feel good, so thanks. 

Hope you get some time to get out there today. Let me know how you get on if you do....

26/08/2013 at 11:46

Hi 

Well I've been out only my second outdoor run since I've started again. I found my old running belt to put water and keys in and was distressed by how much I had to let it out before it went round me!!! However that motivated . I did 2.7 miles (clocked in the car) but at least half of it was uphill and I mean uphill! I haven't found my stopwatch so not sure about time but others could probably have passed me on a fast walk.  still I'm thrilled and loved being outside again. It's much better than on the treadmill. I'm having a rest day tomorrow. Probably won't be able to walk. Thanks Jane for motivating to go this morning  

26/08/2013 at 11:49

Sorry my tablet turned your name into Jane!  Oops

26/08/2013 at 14:15

Pace doesn't matter at all. It's just spending time on your feet (or so I've been told), running slowly burns fat, etc. I'd imagine it burns even more going uphill. 2.7k with half uphill is fantastic. Over the weeks and months if you follow that same route you might start to find it easier and then you'll know you're on to something. 

I used to prefer the treadmill for some daft reason, but being outside is so much better once you catch the bug. It's a more strenuous workout too, at least for me. . have to say, it was great passing a few runners this morning. They were probably on their long, slow runs but it still felt good to zip past them. Usually I'm the very slow one.

Don't worry about the name mix up. I've been called worse.

26/08/2013 at 14:15

Hi All. Good to hear you are all doing well. I went out this morning did about a mile and a half and felt great. Next run day is Wednesday and I am actually looking forward to it. I haven't had that feeling in a very long time. Thyouyou

26/08/2013 at 14:16

I meant to say thank you. Finger got a stutter

26/08/2013 at 14:26

Great stuff, Uni. Let us know how you get on.

26/08/2013 at 16:02

Hey Uni

That's brilliant well done. Looking forward to it is good you must be finding it OK. Keep it up we're all feeling pretty positive just now must be the power of collective determination 

Jae I'm just starting to wonder if you're really out of shape at all if you're zipping past folk! You'll be too good for this thread soon 

BTW I was reading an article on this site that was saying to burn fat you should eat more fat and protein and cut down on the carbs. Sounds illogical but I'm going to try it. I'll let you know if it works. 

26/08/2013 at 16:23

I'm not as out of shape as I was, but those I did pass were jogging and I was trying to beat 30 mins for a 5k, hence zipping past them. Doesn't mean I wasn't huffing and puffing as I ran

26/08/2013 at 16:42

You are an inspiration, huffing and puffing I can do you should have heard me on those hills today! I think maybe I'm not setting myself high enough goals. I couldn't contemplate going from 5k to 8 miles like you are so quickly.  I guess we're all built differently.  Maybe I could be a bit more ambitious though. I'm just looking at some training plans. 

26/08/2013 at 19:03

I just went from 3 miles to 5, more by accident than planning. I didn't want to push myself too hard and get injured but I felt good on the day so went that bit further. I read the best way to do it is add 10% more each week to your mileage when you do your longest run. Obviously I've done a little more than that, but from now on it'll just be an extra mile a week. 

Next time you run try to add a little more to those 2.7 miles. If you can get to 3.1 that's 5k. Once I got to that it's a massive milestone and a huge motivator. You're then a 5k runner. Brilliant! The next milestone is 5 miles, then 10k. This is what keeps me going. Hope that helps. Don't push yourself too hard, but keep chipping away. You're almost at 5k already!

26/08/2013 at 22:48

Yes my plan is to move to 5k that feels like a milestone that means something.  I'm feeling really positive and looking forward to running - I'm forcing myself to not run tomorrow as I know resting is important too to build muscle etc.  It feels exciting to get strength back don't you think?  I know that initial improvements always come more easily, we'll all need to offer each other support when we hit that plateau that's inevitably coming at some point soon. 

I'm considering a 10K at the end of November that's local to me.  I htink that might give my training a focus.    

61 to 80 of 778 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.