First 1/2 Marathon

1 to 20 of 28,267 messages
18/05/2004 at 16:19
Hi there

I am running my first 1/2 marathon in a little over 2 months and i need a "good" training schedule.

I have looked all over runnserworld.co.uk and could not find one.

Found one on runnersworld.com BUT it would not load :(

Can any one help? I would perfer a 8 week one. And one that specfies distance and not times (eg today run 1 mile. not today run for 10 mins)

Cheers
Simon
18/05/2004 at 16:28
There's some schedules under the Training tab on this site (The grey one at the top - he says, probably unnecessarily, to distinguish it from the blue forum one). If you go to the middle of the page, under Racing, there's a whole bunch of them.

No idea if they meet your needs or not but probably worth a look.

Best of luck
18/05/2004 at 16:30
There is one on RW.co.uk - I'm using it myself !!
Go to Training>Racing>Half Marathon and select your pace.

Let me know if you can't find it.

Slug
18/05/2004 at 16:38
Gez, how daft do i feel now?

Thanks found it now, went for the beginers one ;)

Quick replies too.

I am new to running so will probably be posting quite a bit in the next few months.

Hoping to do a full marathon next year.

If you have any random tips or advice you want to throw at me then feel free.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful reply
Flr
18/05/2004 at 16:44
random tip - don't try to run a half on water alone - consider sports drink or gel or summat once you're running over an hour
18/05/2004 at 16:46
ok will bare that in mind, cheers.

Any recommend the best drinks supplement? either type or brand?
Flr
18/05/2004 at 16:50
I do luco sport cos it's readily available in powder form, and I can make it up at 3/4 strength for less long runs (60-90 mins) and full strength for 90mins +

but some people prefer gels

and some think in race nutrition is for wimps

oh- and some stick to water and eat jelly babies - but I think you have to much quite a few of them
18/05/2004 at 17:13
Random tip - don't do what I did...

Ran a full marathon in 1980. Trained and jogged on and off ever since (but put on over 2 stone and 24 years). Took up running again in January. In March decided I'd do a Half Marathon instead of my Sunday long run. Doh !
Predictably I was very, very slow and got overtaken by a granny. I did run the whole way and beat the injured runner who was hopping though. But I can't say I enjoyed it.
So now I'm following a schedule and getting a good base in. Also entered a couple of 10ks.

Slug
18/05/2004 at 17:15
The training schedule i picked is for 10 weeks.

should i be doing any other exercice (biking/weights/sit-ups etc)

if so should i be doing it on run days or not?

thanks again for the quick replies

18/05/2004 at 17:18
Hi Slug,

I think i might be making rod for my back.

I have not really done any run (ever) jogged on and off every now and then, been a member of a gym a few times, and done martial arts on and off.

Started running.... well going for my first run tonight, and have the 1/2 marathon in 8-10 weeks time.

I think i will train for a month and see how i feel, might take part and just see how i get on.

could be the motivation i need to get started.

:o)
18/05/2004 at 17:33
Simon,
A lot depends on your current level of fitness. How long can you run for (time and distance)?

Also I strongly recommend running slowly (and I mean really slow - just over walking pace) - otherwise you will get injured. Also - golden rule is no more than 10% increase in mileage each week. Build up gradually.

The 10 week schedule has one harder session a week in it - which is sensible.

I'm not an expert - only a few months ahead of you.

Slug

Regards
18/05/2004 at 17:42
Simon,
When I first started I alternated running days with other training, elliptical trainer, bike, rowing, to build fitness without risking injury by doing too much too soon. If you're a member of a gym it's worth getting one of the instructors to do you a programme to compliment your running.
18/05/2004 at 17:43
Not sure how fit i am, like i said been fairly inactive for a bit. But i tend to get back in the swing quite quickly.

I will start the schedule and see how i get on.

Just been out in the car and found a 4m run, so that should be "interesting"

Will keep you all posted \o/

Cheers Slug
18/05/2004 at 17:44
Good luck with your run, am off out myself in a few mins, enjoy!
18/05/2004 at 17:45
Hi Puffin,

How many rest days did you have?

One thing i see over and over again is that you must rest. dont want to go biking etc if its going to wear me down?

Although a slow bike on my off days could be ok?

Sorry to keep asking all the questions

:o)
18/05/2004 at 17:52
Hi Simon,

Hope the training goes well.

My advise would be...

don't try to do too much too soon. If you have not run for a while, i'd be a bit aprehenisve about going out and doing four miles for the first run....you don't want to put yourself out of action!!

Whatever sports drink you decide on, make sure you use this on your longer training runs also do make sure you have no 'nasty' reactions to it... if it's not tried and tested, try to steer clear on race day. This goes for kit too

happy running
18/05/2004 at 17:54
The question are fine :)

Used to have 2+ rest days, depending how I was feeling, usually spread through the week. A lot depends on your general fitness as to how much you'll feel good with. Generally I stuck with, if it hurts - stop! Ignored that once while running on a treadmill and ended up with ankle strains that took months to heal.

I also found some gentle weight training helped to build muscle. Rowing for cardio fitness. It all helps.
18/05/2004 at 17:56
Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply, I think me saying 4 mile run was a little ambitious. I think it might be a 4 mile walk/jog/crawl. Its a 2 mile circuit. So I can opt out after 2 miles if need be (as I pass my front door @ 2 miles)

Handy...

Thanks again
18/05/2004 at 17:58
Thanks puffin,

well i aim to run 4 days a week, but i might go for a gentle bike ride on some of the others days. Might do a little weights on the same day as running (one morning , one evening) Just so i still get some rest time in.

Cheers.

Simon
18/05/2004 at 22:18
How did you get on with the run/jog/walk?
1 to 20 of 28,267 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.