First 13.1!

9 messages
01/07/2014 at 00:20
Hey guys, I have a few newbie questions for y'all. I'm running my first half in Milton Keynes this weekend and I wanted to ask for some advice on a few things. - I have to travel around 45 minutes to the race, should I travel in my race gear or get changed when I arrive? - Should I get changed immediately after the race into some dry clothes for the drive home? - What gear should I look to take? If I'm already wearing my race gear, do I need to take anything other than a change of clothes? Any other useful info would be great. Cheers IE.
01/07/2014 at 09:11

Entirely personal choice really. I always wear my race gear to the event. I take a change of clothes and a towel, but I only change if its been a particularly wet race.

I advise getting there good and early, take in some of the atmosphere, have a good warm up and enjoy it

01/07/2014 at 10:43

I wear my clothing to an event when I can, that way I can spot if i'm missing anything.

Changing after makes sense otherwise, once you start to cool down you are wearing wet clothing etc.. not much fun.

Take a snack, or some money to get some food after, might feel peckish

01/07/2014 at 11:03

Oh and a few plasters in case you need to patch up any blisters etc...

01/07/2014 at 11:16

Travel in race gear with something warmer over the top. I take clothes for afterwards, but there's often not anywhere to get changed so it might have to be in the car park, in a portaloo (not pleasant!) or if you're not wet just something loose and warm to put on over the top of race clothes. I oftyen take a towel, then if I get soaked during the race I can sit on it in the car / wrap it around myself to save getting changed. This works great until you stop to get diesel on the way home 

Definitely a snack and drink for afterwards, I always take water with an electrolyte tablet in as I get a headache after races if I don't have something 'salty'. 

Good luck!

02/07/2014 at 09:33

I tend to take a fair bit of kit with me and decide last minute what to wear because weather changes quickly. However, I do tend to wear my shorts but not tops and `accessories`. I try and remember a change of top and a towel. A fair few folk seem to have flip flop type things for after which must be nice for sore feet. Good luck!

03/07/2014 at 07:59

all of the above, + extra safety pins :P, 

03/07/2014 at 09:10

Take some spare toilet paper.

30/07/2014 at 22:30

If you can, stay over in a premier inn from around 29 quid onwards. For me it's a little treat for the weeksof training I have put in and helps me chill out before a race  / wind down afterwards. Either way enjoy.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.