First London Marathon!!!!!

21 to 26 of 26 messages
29/08/2012 at 20:14

well done

have you got the couch to 5k program? I didn't do it myself but have heard from loads of people that have and have been really successful with it. Maybe you should follow that to build up to 3 miles? Then find a 10k training program etc to get you up to xmas.

29/08/2012 at 20:28
I've seen a few but ran more tonight, I think I should probably stick to a programme otherwise I'll think I'm not making progress! Need to remember its only August!!!
06/09/2012 at 14:10

Hi Hilary, I found out also that I’ve got my place through a charity which I’m super excited about. I used to run about 10 years ago so a long time ago now but always wanted to do the marathon. I’ve been running about 4 weeks now and ive already gone from 1 mile to 3 miles comfortably and now pushing myself to run 4 miles this week- although im only doing it in about 10 mins a mile  

As someone has already said though, its important to have a rest day in between and I try and push myself when I have more time at least once a week to go that little bit further. Also vary your routes, I did the stupid thing of running the same lap through town and it got so boring!

*I wouldn’t mind some advice though from someone- I try running in the mornings when I get up, but it makes me feel seriously sick and I don’t feel comfortable doing more than 2.5 miles- what can I do to stop this?!

I wouldnt mind some advice though from someone- I try running in the mornings when i get up, but it makes me feel seriously sick and I dont feel comforatble doing more than 2.5 miles- what can i do to stop this?!

cougie    pirate
06/09/2012 at 14:54

Are you pregnant ??

The first 20 mins are always the worst I find - your body is just warming up. Just like a car on a cold morning.

Once you start to extend the runs you get to spend more time in the 'warmed up' zone which is much more enjoyable. 

If morning runs make you feel sick - try running later on ?  And 10 minute miling is good - could you chat at that pace ? If not try slowing down. 

16/09/2012 at 14:57
Well done Nicola! Is this your first marathon? Are you a member of a running club? I'm not sure whether to join my local one. Just been away for a week so trainers are going back on tomorrow!!!!!
18/09/2012 at 14:23

Nicola, try simple calcium carbonate antacid tablets - I used to suffer horribly from acid stomach in the mornings and they helped me a lot. Try taking one before you start, and maybe carrying another one with you to chew if you start feeling sick.

Hilary: yes, join a running club. If nothing else you should learn some new running routes (I've got a lot more than that out of joining a club, but it was a very obvious immediate benefit).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.