First run and I get shin slints

3 messages
30/07/2012 at 15:56

Hi I went for my first run today after getting fitted for a pair of shoes, started off wlaking for 4 min, ran 1 and done this 5 times.  During the second run period I got stabbing pains in both shins, but carried on, now they are sore and more so when walking.

Any ideas whrn I should start again? everything I have read says rest for 2 weeks, not the best start after just 2 miles and an worried that I wont get my fat arse off the chair again.

Cheers

Chris

30/07/2012 at 17:21

have you had it definitely diagnosed as shin splints?

30/07/2012 at 18:24
First thing I would think of is the shoes. How are you lacing them up? I find that if I tie mine up too tightly, when I run it hurts my shins. So I stop and make them less tight and it goes away again.

I don't think you need to rest for two weeks. Ice your shins. Think why you got the pain, and try and adjust whatever caused it. I would run again in a couple of days, if the pain has gone.

Are you stretching?
You could also think of strengthening excersises for the shins.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.