First run,first injury

4 messages
03/05/2012 at 19:54

Hi guys.

Hope someone can help.

I've only been running for a few months and entered my first half marathon (may 6th)my last run on sunday (10miles) resulted in an Achilles strain, any advice on a "quick fix"

03/05/2012 at 23:12

There is no quick fix.

I presume you have iced the area and are resting.

From here your best move is to see a fizzy to find out what is wrong and to get some guidance. It maybe something simple where a massage and stretching is all that is needed or it maybe far more complex. You may be able to run with or without support. However, until you see a physio, a sports one, then you will not know.

04/05/2012 at 04:32

Ice it.  A lot.  If it doesn't feel good by race day, do not start.  If it feels ok and you start, and it then starts hurting, step off of the course and get a lift back to the start line.  If you do not think you could step off the course because you are too competitive, do not start.

04/05/2012 at 11:01
A half marathon after a few months of running sounds like you're asking a lot from your body. On race day, if you choose to compete, don't go off too fast. Be prepared to walk/run the last four or five miles, and don't beat yourself up about it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.