First Treadmill run

9 messages
22/01/2013 at 11:24

First ever treadmill run this morning. Horrible, just horrible. Damn you snow!

22/01/2013 at 12:28
I hate treadmills! I can walk (not run!) or cycle for hours outside but 5 minutes on a treadmill and I'm bored and grumpy! I can't find a comfortable pace when there are numbers on the screen in front of me, I can't find a rhythm because I'm watching where I put my feet so I don't fly off and look like a (bigger) plonker, and I become obsessed watching the time, distance, speed and calories.
Will this winter never end?
22/01/2013 at 15:27

Just think: If you can run on a treadmill and the monotony of it running outside will be a doddle.

22/01/2013 at 16:19

I like treadmills

22/01/2013 at 19:17

I had to do a 20 miler on the treadmill on Sunday, I think it should be classified as torture.... podcasts and a towel over the display helped me through.

22/01/2013 at 21:11
I think running on the treadmill is great
23/01/2013 at 10:40

@ Ross. Thanks for the tip. I find music annoying when running (I know I am in a minority on this) but the idea of a podcast is appealing, I will try this tomorrow.

Weirdly, I feel tender in the hips & ankles today which is not something I normally feel when road running.

23/01/2013 at 11:38

Set incline to 1% to allow for lack of resistance/push off and to correct posture to more natural gait. That might alleviate the hip/ankle problem. Fartlek or play with the inclines or do interval training to make it more interesting. Try the Marquis de Sade:
500m mara pace
400M half mara pace
300m 10kpace
200m 5k/mile pace
100m sprint
100m recovery and repeat. Do 3-5 reps once a month. Advantage on the treadmill is you know the real speed, distance and time you've covered

23/01/2013 at 13:15

Straycelt I will try that one. I have recently bought a treadmill as an alternative when short of time shift work life etc.

The furthest I have managed is 6 but I am enjoying doing the interval programs on it I think it's because the time counts down and I am not sure what is coming next.

Ross 20 OMG respect...The towel over the display is a good idea...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.