for all new runners .....

for those looking at threads but dont want to intrude ........

1 to 20 of 10,812 messages
05/10/2006 at 13:51
Hi - have only just started looking at the forum and wanted to join in some threads but they seem so established I thought I would start my own for all those looking from the sidelines !!!!

So come on lets start a new thread for all those people just starting running and needing to lose some weight !!
I will start by telling you a little about myself -

Am a married mum of two kids - turn 30 next year and have been running since May this year, I gave up smoking and brought a treadmill to get fit/lose weight ! Am now loving running and go out as much as I can (normally 4/5 times a week)
I am a member of weight watchers but only use it really to get weighed every week

I ran my first 10k at the end of sept at Bowood House for cancer research - Really enjoyed it - time was 1hr and 13 mins ! Not bad for someone who couldnt run down the road 6 months ago !!
Am now looking towards my next race - want to do some 5ks and more 10ks, then think about a 1/2 marathon but need to lose weight first - about 2 stone !!
Anybody got any 5k or 10k they can recommend in the herts area or the wilts area ?
05/10/2006 at 13:52
hello albion

welcome to the nuthouse

I shouldnt worry about popping in on established threads-thats how we all got started

the thread on beginners called 2for me and my extroridnarily large tummy is a good one-quite a few WW people on there
05/10/2006 at 14:04
Join in! More the merrier.

We don't bite (unless asked)

PS, ultra runners.....loonys.

Hipps :-0
05/10/2006 at 14:06
Hey there Albion,

Welcome!

Yes PH is right - dont worry about intruding on those established threads, that's what they are there for.

Congrats on you first 10k. Although i haven't got kids yet, I always wonder if i will keep up they running when i start popping them out. So i admire you...

not really sure about herts or wilts area as i am down south - but look on the events tab as it is really good at supplying info about races.

advice: do some more 5k, and 10ks and be able to run them comfortably then tackle a half...

good on you though. x
05/10/2006 at 14:10
"when i start popping them out"

Runners attitude, thats what I like to see.
05/10/2006 at 14:11
There's a Salisbury 10k in February which I'm planning on doing. I think that's in Wilts.
eM.milou    pirate
05/10/2006 at 14:12
Hi Albion - Check out the first pages (s) of the INSPIRE thread in the beginners section - just millions of posts cos we talk a lot that's all!!! Join us you'd be more than welcome x
05/10/2006 at 14:12
well popping them out was probably not the correct thing to say...see i told you i haven't had any kids yet - don't know what childbirth is like.

Boo 'attitude' Boo x
05/10/2006 at 14:21
welcome to the boards albion.

you will find that all the threads welcome newbies on, so don't feel threatened, we were all new once.

and Hippo is our hero ;-)
05/10/2006 at 14:25
I just invited myself in. rw forumites are v welcoming.
Be warned though! Once you are a forumite theres no going back. I struggle to get through an hour without the forum.

And I need a new job desperately.
05/10/2006 at 14:31
I'm new too - have to confess to having done the 'read but no write' thing! Some useful tips garnered in the meantime though...
Since I have very little work to do at the moment, the forum is proving very useful in passing the time between 9 and 6!
05/10/2006 at 16:13
Wow - thanks for all your replies ! Makes me feel so wanted !!!!!!!!!

I have seen the salisbury 10k too - hoping to do it ?

So, can anyone tell me why I can run for 30 mins on a treadmill but not outdoors - I find it very disheartening !
was on treadmill yesterday and done a 5k in 30 mins but I waouldnt do it outside - or would I ? Suppose I should find a 5k to do and try it ?!!!
05/10/2006 at 16:15
albion
i used to be like you
it DOES feel harder outside at first
but i think this is becuase you cant ontrol your pace like on a treadmill
try slowing right down

these days i am fster outside than on a tready
maybe start with run walk till you get used to outside
05/10/2006 at 16:19
PH - I always feel as if Im not going particulary fast outside - I definatly dont rush off - but I suppose you are right in that when Im on the treadmill all I have to do is run .......

Think I will go for a run now ......
Raining outside -

What do you say ? Treadmill or roads and getting very wet ......
05/10/2006 at 16:20
Hi,

I have only just started running. I am doing the race for life beginners programme at the moment. I have got to the run 7 mins walk 2mins stage. When I have done the complete 6 weeks I am thinking of going to the Bushey Park Time Trial (along with my daughter and hubby (he is doing Iron man in July )).

I want to loose some weight too and have managed to loose 5 pounds along with my daughter Kat.

Kat has started the programme the same time as me so it is good to work together.

Kat can to the 5k in just under 30mins on the treadmill but in the same time I can only do 2.4 miles but I will get there.

Sarah
Hi Albion and Clarej, as Hipps so aptly puts it - welcome to the nuthouse!!!

Don't be afraid to ask - there's usually someone around who can help. ;o)
real runners love the rain

(says she smugly having already done her run)
05/10/2006 at 16:22
Hi rodiogirl - welcome - What it the bushey park time trial ? and when ? whats the iron man ?

you are lucky to have someone to work with - i have to do it alone .... boo hoo
05/10/2006 at 16:23
PH - take it you didnt get wet then ?
05/10/2006 at 16:25
I used to be the same too, never ran outside (and as soon as I tried it was crippled for a month with shin splints and achilles tendinitis!). I found that perseverence was the key outside and now I love it, you just can't compare treadmill with outside! Soo much more interesting!
(Although ran past a chipshop last night and breathed in just at the wrong time - thought I was going to throw up! But then in the gym I always seem to attract the man with the deodorant allergy...)
Definitely try outside, run walk if you have to. And there aren't many treadmill races so if you're going to do runs you might as well train on the same surface!
(And, sorry to disagree hippo, I'm now much faster on the treadmill than before I started running outside so it's great for an ego boost every now and again!)
1 to 20 of 10,812 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.