Freaking OUT.

waaah

21 to 34 of 34 messages
Cake    pirate
31/01/2014 at 12:56

legend sounds alright to me just listen to your body and evaluate if needed. What are your planing for tapering? Are you going to do some light stuff or chaining yourself to the sette for a week or so? From what training you've put you might want to take a look at the shades thread on here and see if some of the info on there helps.

31/01/2014 at 13:51

Cake - thanks for the input. Tapering - I was thinking I'd continue with 3-4 runs per week but maybe easier sessions during the week (difficult for me as I live in valley, so hills everywhere). Then long-run-wise, something like 12-14 miles 2 weeks before the marathon and no more than 10 miles the weekend before.

One other query. On my long runs to date, I've been averaging 9 minute miles which is what I'll be aiming for on the day (works out as 3:56). Given my Half Marathon pace is 7:30, running 90 seconds slower than that feels pretty comfortable (until the later miles at least). However, most schedules suggest the long run should be slower than marathon pace. Just wondering how much slower? I can't imagine slowing down to 10 minute mile pace plus it'd add 20 minutes to a 20 miler which surely doesn't help in terms of time on your feet.

Cake    pirate
31/01/2014 at 17:16

I'm not the best person to ask on that one mate so will wait for better minds than mine to anwser. But if it helps the idea is that your long runs build up endurace so if your going at a slower pace your able to get in more miles than if you where going quicker. The extra time on your feet depending on if you have the time for it will be useful. Depending on which schedule your using it should give you details about your running pace.

Your going to find that with the marathon training your running pace will ever slow down or speed up so worth doing a half in the build up just to evaluate.

31/01/2014 at 17:57

I'm definitely no expert but if you previously blew up at 16 miles (I know that you've trained a lot since then but still the same principle) and are finding 9mm pretty comfortable until later miles I have a feeling that the same might happen again. There are some arguments though that say it's not beneficial after 2hrs 15 - 2hrs 30 but from everything I've read I suggest you slow down and do the distance as it's all meant to be about time on your feet. Perhaps it's different when you're slow - I ran a similar marathon 3 years ago and then stopped running so I'm at the same place I was then

02/02/2014 at 12:55

Well I really wish I hadn't opened this thread and read it

I am in a very similar position to OP training wise apart from  I have done 10 miles as my longest run. The difference-I am really enjoying my running, am keeping up with all my training runs, my parkrun PB is reducing and I am happy.  I know I'll go around London towards 6hrs probably 6 something, but am ok with that.  So OP there are others like you, perhaps you need to feel more positive and that will help your running.

Will be more careful with opening threads in future

02/02/2014 at 15:37

I did VLM last April - my first marathon.   I am 66 and only took up 'proper' running in 2009.   The best advice I was given was "Just enjoy the day......it will be one of the best days of your life!"   It took me 5 hours and 58 minutes to get round.  I was very cautious because a foot injury had prevented me from running more than once a week for 5 weeks before the big day.  But I knew when I crossed the start line that I would make the finish - I was absolutely determined!

A seasoned marathoner advised me not to have my name on my shirt.  He said hearing people shout your name when you are on your last legs can be counter-productive.  So I didn't.  Not sure whether that was sound advice or not.

My long runs are done at 12mm.  I am a slow runner,  but a runner even so.  Be proud, all you slower people!   You are doing a fantastic job!  Ofcourse you will manage to get round and it really will be one of the best days of your life.  I speak from experience.   And guess what.... I am doing Edinburgh in May this year!

02/02/2014 at 19:52

Thanks Matsmum for your encouragement and inspirational story.  Good luck in Edinburgh.

Cake    pirate
03/02/2014 at 12:43

Lainey I've been near the back the last few years for marathons and the one thing know is it doesnt' matter if you finesh it in under 3 hours or over 6 all that matter's is the distance and if you feel you are challenging and enjoying yourself. Everything else is ever a bonus or bullsh*t depending on what it is.

Just keep the faith. From what I've seen the slower runner's have more fun anyway.

03/02/2014 at 17:07

Thanks Cake!  Am determined to enjoy it!

03/02/2014 at 18:28

He's right Lainey, all the party people are in pen 9

04/02/2014 at 17:37

screampillar

05/02/2014 at 13:45

All the party people are in pen 9 of the red start. I miss the red start

05/02/2014 at 18:41

It's more interesting than the blue start. 

06/02/2014 at 08:02

I was in the blue start!  ( That doesn't necessarily make it more interesting!)  I was skulking right at the back feeling a terrible fraud and not deserving to be there.  Then a man started talking to me.  It was his first marathon.  He definitely did not look like a marathon runner.  To be honest he looked as if he had spent most of his life in the pub.  But he was running for a children's hospice - his son had been ill - and he said he knew that he would take 8 hours to get round but he was determined to do it. How amazing is that.

I am doing Edinburgh so my training started on Monday.  The race is on 25th May, so you VLM people will be basking in glory by then. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.