Friendly club for a slow runner in Gloucester

I'm looking for a bit of extra motivation

8 messages
16/03/2013 at 13:52

Hi, 

I'm very much a beginner runner. I've been training for about 6 months now for a couple of marathons this year. My long runs are about 25k @ 6:45-7 min/km and runs of 10k-15k are generally around 6-6:30 min/km so I am not quick. My training was a bit disrupted for a couple of weeks and I've actually struggled a bit to get back into it so was thinking it might be an idea to join a running club for a bit of motivation.

The problem is I'm not much of a runner and I am totally intimidated by the clubs I've seen around Gloucester so far. They all seem to be aimed at the tiny skinny people who run like the wind. I was wondering if anyone knows of any friendly clubs in Gloucester where I won't feel like a huge, lumbering, fat, unfit waste of oxygen. I don't have a car so I'm pretty tied to the immediate Gloucester area.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Dean 

16/03/2013 at 15:50

Hi Dean, I am in Gloucestershire (Chipping Campden) and am also looking for a similar running club / running partner. Gloucs is a bit far for me to drive to regularly, but if you ever want to meet half way and go for a nice slow run then let me know. Are you doing the Forest of Dean half-marathon next week? I am looking forward to it!

16/03/2013 at 16:23

Not from Gloucester but you might want to check if the running shops in your area do weekly runs as well, like Moti or something. They're usually free.

17/03/2013 at 16:06

I'm not doing the half-marathon. I didn't even know it was going on. I haven't really been down here too long so i haven't really looked at any events yet.

It might be good to meet up for a run sometime. I don't really know the area at all so I'd be in your hands with regards to where!

Good luck with the half marathon. Just remember to start slowly! You can always go quicker later if you feel ok.

14/04/2013 at 16:59

All clubs I've belonged too (Forest of Dean and Chepstow have been welcoming to a wide range of abilities. The people I've met at races from Severn AC and Gloucs AC have been very friendly. Go along and give a training night a try. I'm sure they'll be a wide range of abilities and the coaches would be very welcoming!

09/05/2013 at 13:59

Hi Dean,

Did you find a running club? I am based in Abbeydale and looking for some motivation if you ever want company?

Kirsty

02/01/2014 at 18:55

How did you get on? I'm looking, I'm in Abbeydale too. Training for my first half marathon in March at the moment

07/02/2014 at 14:43

Hello

I am also looking for a Gloucester running club.

Just returning from having major surgery on my leg, still slow miles (11-12 mins!!!) and walk breaks but slow miles are better than no miles!

I am Hucclecote based, really looking for a club that caters for a beginner.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.