From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

201 to 220 of 2,964 messages
06/10/2012 at 16:52
Hurrah.

Ok, back on track. After having a very quiet week with a sore twisted knee I went for it today. Did 12km in 84mins heck if somehow I could keep that pace up just sub 5h, but still realistically I would love 5:30 but am still worried about getting around in 6h when I probably loose 10m getting over the start line.

Chat soon got to put my new amp on the shelf after my old
One went kaput yesterday.
06/10/2012 at 18:26

Hi Steph and Sinbad -

was intending to do Coalville 10k this morning but was talked into going out last night (well, I say "talked into" but have the breaking strain of a kitkat so it was a no brainer!)

Was late back so gave the 10k a miss this morning and decided on a long steady this afternoon, 9.9 miles in 1.43, so reasonably happy though am sure the extra 3.5 miles next Sunday will make themselves felt!

Hope youve sorted out your amp, you'll probably find other stuff goes kaput at the same time, usually in threes or is it just me?!

06/10/2012 at 18:47
Nope lost my washing machine and had to fix the car all in the same week
06/10/2012 at 19:03

Spooky! had my washing machine replaced this week (must be the only person who has had this done with blessing of extended warranty company!) and also new suspension arm on car! I keep saying I'm never going to have another Alfa but am lying to myself - this is my sixth.

On the plus side, all ipods and sound dock still working!

06/10/2012 at 20:20
Fingers crossed.
06/10/2012 at 20:40
Use chip time not race time.
07/10/2012 at 00:05
I will do even if the official clock has ticked over
07/10/2012 at 10:46

Hi all,

Talk about weired, I have had  to buy a new washing in the past couple of weeks to.

Glad your going to try and make up the lost 10K Jen.

Using two times, to me means that you can work out the difference between the two.

I'm in a bit of a panic now. I used my new pedometre on my run this morning, and gave myself a bit of a fright. 3.5k in 53 minutes, yet people on different forums talk about 10k in under an hour .

The manchester MoRun 10k is on the 24th of November.

Determined to get round it one way or  another. Only been able to gauge the distance before now, I don't drive so makes life a bit difficult.

Hope people are ok?

07/10/2012 at 15:14
Sinbad: don't worry the speed naturally comes with time and practise. Just keep going and slowly it will improve getting your endurance up seems to naturally cause you to speed up

I walked the dog for 90 minutes today, then OH drive the dog home and I ran 7km home in 53m, felt bloody hard work, was really bloody hot and sweaty. So 19km over the weekend and a decent amount of dog walking

So I guess in theory that means that I am ready for my marathon.

This time next Sunday will be 5h 55m after the official start of the Leicester marathon and I hope I'll be splodged in a heap celebrating

It's been incredible I'm about 68lbs lighter than March, I've gone from doing my first run in 25 years in May to this point now it's just trusting in my training and hoping thst I just keep it all together mentally and get over the line.

Sooooooooooooooooo excited. Wish me luck it's really close now
Edited: 07/10/2012 at 15:16
07/10/2012 at 15:25

hi all,

Booktrunk thanks for that.

I'm sure all of us wish you luck. I personally feel you will do great. You have trained hard, and as you said it seems to happen naturally when it all comes together.

If ever I post too much let me know. I practically live on this web site at the moment. Its helping keep me out of pub, and save money for all the usual stuff and my boat.

Hope all is well.

07/10/2012 at 16:56

Dont forget, all your training is done now, do not do anything silly this week, just go for a few simple little runs,a long run now would ruin you for next Sunday, nerves and temptation will make you want to do a long run, dont give in. Good luck for the big day, you have loads of support from this site alone.

07/10/2012 at 17:06

Hi all,

Here here to the post above.

07/10/2012 at 17:20
Thank you everyone it feels awesome having your support

I've got my gear all sorted already hanging up in my bedroom so I have a week of looking AT&T tee-short shorts n socks hehe as you say ... Just gotta relax now m&s not do anything silly
07/10/2012 at 19:49
Booktrunk... Just wanted to say I am amazed at what you've achieved. I have my first half marathon in oxford next Sunday after beginning at 0 at a similar time to you and that's been hard enough!! Your weight loss in itself is fantastic.
I too am worried about my time but there is nothing we can do about it now, we both just have to remember where we started.
The best of luck for next week, I will be coming back to see how you got on!!
07/10/2012 at 20:04
Thanks Tara, please come back and tell us how your half goes as well
07/10/2012 at 21:00

Can only second whats been posted above, we're all rooting for you Steph and will looking forward to see how you go! Will keep an eye out for you - albeit a slimline version of the self you describe in your first post!

Keep posting Sinbad, good to hear how you're getting on , and yes, I managed to make up for missing the 10k by going for a long steady (9.9 miles) yesterday afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going to have a drive over to the site where they hosted the 10k as it got some decent reviews on the forum considering it was a first time event and will use that for last 10k before next Sunday, then as Happy has suggested, just a couple of little runs.

Good luck at Oxford Tara, let us know how you do. (PS: keep an eye on your washing machine, this thread has a jinx!)

08/10/2012 at 00:18
I'll be the one at the very back of the pack with red asymmetric short hair, white top with a big red MGA logo, and a small "Steph" below it, MGA logo n just giving details on the back. Pink Nike Tempo shorts, white Nike socks, and Asics 2170's (the blue n luminous yellow ones).

Giggle, anyone would think I've been planning for this for a while

Probably wearing my rather large omm waist bag because it's comfy (with lots of jelly babies / compeed plasters / spare 500ml of water n a couple of salt or electrolyte tablets) I don't want to leave anything / give myself any excuse by saying I couldn't do if because of x, or y. Oh and maybe an alpen bar or two.

Probably won't use anything but jelly babies. Oh and i am going to take iPhone not to listen to, but will use garmin live track so any friend that wants to can track me (hey I work in IT and love gadgets)
08/10/2012 at 09:27

Good luck, booktrunk; I can't wait to find out how you get on; I'm excited for you here.  Great thread too.

09/10/2012 at 20:53
5km in 34m

Still to quick but hey, ho that's life

108.5 hours to go.

Tomorrow I've got work to let me skip an hour early so that I can go in and pick my number up, how exciting!! I'll be at the place to pick my number up around 5ish

I will try to not wet myself with excitement.
10/10/2012 at 19:29
Yipee I have my race number and my timing thingy.

I am 3249

It's feeling very close now, but it's still miles away 3.5 days!!

I was asked am I going to do the mobot over the line, hehe at least 50% of the field I bet will be
Edited: 10/10/2012 at 19:30
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.