From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

241 to 260 of 2,563 messages
13/10/2012 at 17:22
Not popped into your thread for a while - good luck for tomorrow! I must remember not to try to drive into town as the roads are closed.
I've only just recovered from my first marathon last Sunday and feel great about finishing it but I was just as nervous as you sound last Saturday, and didn't sleep a wink that night. I'm certain you'll do great, you've trained and don't sound like you'll go off too quick like I did (and limped the last 7/8 miles in - but hey, I've learned for next time!).
The weather looks good for running outside - light rain and very cool.
13/10/2012 at 17:46
Thanks sinbad and Daeve

I made my biggest pre race decision today. I have just stuck a bright pink dye in my fair to match my Nike shorts.... Might end up a disaster but who cares it's all fun and keeps me occupied for a while.

If it rains much I might end up covered in pink stain
13/10/2012 at 19:33

be easy to spot though Steph! all best tomorrow

13/10/2012 at 22:11
11h to go.

I probably should be in bed but will not sleep so I'm watching Indiana Jones and the temple of doom in bluray

At least I'm relaxing watching this. Stuffed full of pasta, drinking lots of liquids.

Possibly my last pre race post.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT

Either I'll do a naughty post while not sleeping or at some point tomorrow update you

Bloody exciting!!!!
13/10/2012 at 23:46
Booktrunk - go to bed !!!!!!! Good luck, and I will look out for a shock of pink
13/10/2012 at 23:56
Hehe.... Trying

Night x
14/10/2012 at 06:11
Morning

Yipeeee 3h to go I feel great ..... Ohhh I sound like a frosties advert
14/10/2012 at 07:36

Booktrunk, have a fantastic time you truly are inspirational.

PS. am looking forward to reading a mammoth race review

14/10/2012 at 07:51

Hi all,

You may have already set off. But have a great time you both deserve it. Plus your celebraterly steak afterwards.

Its frosty outside, but i will still go for my run, see what your inspiration is doing to me. I'm wanting to run, and not go for a beer lol.

Yes we want to hear all about it.

14/10/2012 at 16:11
Report to follow....

But I had to quickly tell you all.

I BLOODY WELL DID IT 5h 30m give or take 10 seconds need to check to confirm if I got below or not.

I have a really sore back pulled a muscle a few weeks ago agony now.

Just had a hot dog, chilli fries, atomic onion rings, a. Banana and peanut butter milkshake, followed by a mint milkshake

Going home now will put setting else up later.
14/10/2012 at 18:02
Have followed your progress Booktrunk and would like to say well done. It must be an amazing feeling
14/10/2012 at 18:03

Brilliant result Steph!

A few days off for you now then training programme for your ultra to follow!

Thought the event was really well organised, lovely route for the half and looking forward to your commentary on the full.

Looking forward to pics when they are uploaded and once again, fab result, and very well deserved!

Race time for me was 2.12, OH did 1.41 (he's only done a 10k before so I think he'll now be bitten by the racing bug!) Happy enough for a couple of vets - and I don't mean animal doctors!

Sinbad, thanks for the good luck wishes, glad all going well for you and training coming on. (by the way, hows the boat coming on?)

14/10/2012 at 18:39
booktrunk wrote (see)

I BLOODY WELL DID IT 5h 30m 

Just had a hot dog, chilli fries, atomic onion rings, a. Banana and peanut butter milkshake, followed by a mint milkshake 

When's the next one?

14/10/2012 at 18:48
booktrunk wrote (see)
I BLOODY WELL DID IT 5h 30m

Fantastic!!!  Congratulations!!!  Three cheers for Steph ... !!!

14/10/2012 at 19:45

I've got my times through.

Total Race Time 5:36:00

My Chip Time so basically my race time, from when I went through the start: 5:30:22

ARRRRRGH would have loved 23 seconds quicker But it just leaves me something to aim for in my next race. 

I have to clearly thank asics.co.uk

I have done my whole plan from 0 to marathon in one plan.  I set it up initially saying that I could not run 20 minutes non stop.  That was the lowest setting possible.  At the end of the plan it said my estimated marathon time would be 5:38 and i beat that by almost 8 minutes   So yes i'm over the bloody moon, and i'm in the marathon runners club

Slow....  but there.

Oh..... I and nearly everyone at the race was completely put to shame by a woman who came in about 10 minutes behind me, It was her 290th YES 290th Marathon, and she did two last weekend!! Now that is bloody HARDCORE.

14/10/2012 at 20:00

Booktrunk fabulous news and well done to you

Enjoy your recovery period which is just as important as the actual training, especially as you have signed up for a really tough ultra!!

14/10/2012 at 20:27

Well done Booktrunk - it was great to read your progress over the weeks, and now you are a Marathon Runner. Take it eas this week. Gentle exercise such as walking will help with the recovery. But for now, time to spoil yourself with some guilt free goodies.

14/10/2012 at 21:05
Well done Booktrunk!!! You are amazing!! I did my first half today and actually thought of you doing your Marathon!! You should be totally and utterly proud of yourself!! I did my half in 2 hr 40 mins 24 secs. It was hardish but I'm already wanting more. Well done again!
15/10/2012 at 14:26

I'm so happy for you.   I was thinking of you at the weekend and wondering how you were getting on.  It's been great to read this from start to finish and led me to sign up for a 10K next year.  I never even dreamed I'd be able to run 5k as I have lung disease but yesterday I did it for the first time (with a few walk breaks).  As long as I can have a quarter of your determination I'm sure I'll make it.

Now enjoy the glory!

15/10/2012 at 17:45
Here is my face report... Posted to weightless thread as well as some just do that thread.

Leicester Marathon 2012

Got up at 6:15, put my running outfit on. I read somewhere that bagels were good pre race, so I had 2 bagels with a little Philly and salmon, that was at around 6:45so... Finally set out to Leicester at 7:20, got there at 8:05 managed to find free parking around the edge of the park.

It was cold and there was still a little bit of fog in the air and it was not very warm had some loos could have been more, everyone looked the same excited n slightly nervous

So 9:15 the race started, I was right at the back so had a short walk to the start line, I think there were around 2,500 of us there running the half and the full.

Here are the garmin stats for my race:- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/233416461

All my running is done alone, so it was weird being around so many other people, even though I started at the back I struggled to not set off to quickly and probably did by a few seconds per km.

They closed the main road for us to start in so we swept out of Leicester, then after about 4 miles got to some quieter roads.

At 6 miles the half marathoners took another route back to Leicester, the rest of us took another path and went on a 13.1 loop through some of the villages, without the marshals I would have got totally lost, but they were there to guide us

At about half way I was flying I was on for a sub 5h mara, way ahead of my plan which was 5:38. I had to have a loo break as I was desperate and at 15 miles they had a village hall open and wonderful people who were keeping them clean. It was an absolute pleasure, and I think I possibly lingered on that loo slightly to long, if you look at my stats it shows I was 12:33 oops!! 5 minutes used up but I was a lot happier

So I plodded on from there, apparently it's a flat marathon, but to me it felt bloody steep once or twice.

There was one area where you cross the main road a dual carriageway and marshals stop the traffic for us, and then we run around 1km I guess on the side of the main road within a coned off area, I felt fine running in this section

After the 13.1 loop we came back to the same place and carried on the same course the half marathoners had last used. This went through the edge of a water park, very pretty and quiet, then we weave into a park, and then into the city with a cordoned off running area with people cheering you on, then up a very steep hill that drags on for quite a while then a 200m run on the flat to the finish line and glory.

So my race plan in theory it was 42.195km each at 8:04 I started off quick, possibly a bit to quickly. Was around 2:30 - 2:31 at the halfway point. I really paid and just didn't feel as if I had the stamina (I needed more long slow runs I guess). Anyway at around 30km I revised my plans and felt a bit of a wimp, so I started at 30k walking 250-300m at the beginning of each km, and then running for the rest of that km without letting myself stop until the watch beeped again.

At 40km got my second wind and went for it, except for a bit of a walk up the hill at the end.

I loved the course, the other competitors, and the organisation and marshalling. It was a great race my first organised race and I don't think I'll ever forget the feelings I had when going around.

I have a shiny medal... I've never ever had a medal in my life. I'm seriously proud of it as well.

If you want to see me waffling on more about it I'm on Facebook as "Stephani
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.