From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

261 to 280 of 3,246 messages
15/10/2012 at 21:30
Well done, how do you feel now? I was wrecked the day after, and still can't fully walk properly. It's probably worth you doing a half marathon at some point in the near future when you've recovered, you'll get a decent time with your endurance! 2:30 at half way is great considering where you started.
15/10/2012 at 21:37

Hi booktrunk,

Sounds like you had a fantastic day, on your first marathone, I'm megapleaased for you. But I wil be cheeky and ask for your time on  hhere, as I'm not an IT person,I even struggle even on here

15/10/2012 at 21:55
Hi sinbad

5:30:22

Was flying went through the half in 2:30 or 2:31 at 24km I had my loo break and went from 7:15km to 12:33 for that km. so lost 5 minutes there.

From 36km I slowed down to 8:30 or slower.

When I has 12km to go I worked out I could do about 11.5 to 12 minute km's so I made sure I did each quicker then that time.

I probably spent to much time watching my watch, mainly because of my inexperience as I had nothing else to rely on I put my faith in the watch, I think after two or three you would get to know yourself better
15/10/2012 at 21:57
Daeve: feeling better than I was expecting which makes me think I should have gone harder and beat 5:30. Hehe

I'm like john Wayne I have the stiff leg walk and try to avoid going downstairs ;/)

to be honest the feeling of pride outweighs any lingering pain.
15/10/2012 at 22:00
DaughterofDawn congrats what you are doing sounds brilliant I have all my fingers n toes crossed for you.
15/10/2012 at 22:42

Hi All,

bootrunk thats a great first marathn time.

16/10/2012 at 16:06

It's something like 50 hours since i finished and i'm still on an insane high.  It's like all the best things that have happened to you all in one bundle, and everyone else is carrying on as if everything is exactly the same but to me my horizons have just been exploded i am so bouncy / excited / happy / darn proud that i've done it.

This is awesome. 

16/10/2012 at 17:01

Thanks so much booktrunk - hopefully I'll raise loads of money in the process like you did!

I imagine this joy will always be with you as nobody can ever take it away.  I'm glad to hear that you can still walk today!

17/10/2012 at 09:33

Oh.... Just for a laugh, you can finally see what I look like.  This is me about 90 second to two minutes after crossing the finish line.  I look really happy about having my OH taking my piccy don't I.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/712846/gallery/profile.jpg?width=350

17/10/2012 at 20:16

Well done - a fantastic achievement! You're an inspiration

18/10/2012 at 20:05

Very coordinated Steph, fab race report too!

Also following Leics Marathon thread  and seen some really good comments there.

Sooo...you going to start a thread on your ultra training?!!

18/10/2012 at 20:22
Ohh good idea!!

Wait till I dou first run early next week and I'll start a thread
18/10/2012 at 21:22

Good stuff, look forward to it!

Any thoughts on Daeves suggestion re going for a half to work on pace? Loughborough half is next March - I entered today and am going to follow your advice about sticking to a training plan and not just the random running I do at the mo. Only thing is Ashby 20 is the week before and I'd love to do that again but entry hasn't opened yet. May just have to man up a bit and do both ( a mere warm up  to many on the RW forums - I'm in awe of some times etc!)

19/10/2012 at 07:47
Ohh I should probably do my local half

I'm thinking of doing quite a few events and incorporating them into my training, almost make from November until October into one long plan.

With March Lough half, 6th May Milyon Keynes Marathon, end of July The Lakeland 50 and rounding off the year with Leicester again.

Sprinkle in some Saturday Parkruns for speed practise along the way.
19/10/2012 at 07:52
Ohh according to my Garmin watch I should be happy with my marathon as well as it said the effort was 4.8 with 4.* being in the "greatly improving range" so even my watch gave me a pat on the back.

I have also so far managed to raise ??1140 for charity (plus gift aid making it ??1390) so I'm over the moon about that. Considering my target was ??500

http://www.justgiving.com/Stephanie-Gelder/
Edited: 19/10/2012 at 07:56
19/10/2012 at 08:29

Well done on the fundraising, any thoughts on trying for a goldon bond place for London? Thats how I managed to get my place but did find to hard to keep on top of drumming up funds.

Talking of local events, I did Rothley 10k in June, highly recomended - as is Ashby, fab swag bag, lovely hoodie and cheese cob! Will be returning next year.

Also Hermitage 10k, (think its August time) hilly but lovely. And familiar (which is good!) as run round there most weekends.

Regards Loughborough - I think they have increased the race limit this year as saw an article in the local rag saying they had 200 entrants so far. I was too late last year but a few friends ran and said it was good.

19/10/2012 at 10:17

Hi all,

Been down with the dreaded bug these ast few days, why i not posted.

Wow ultra marathons. I can only dram of that at this stage.

I'm like you now Jen, a coouuple of people have mentioned stick to a training program, I'm going to try and stick to the up and running one.

I'm impressed with how your already planning the next stage of  running booktrunk.

19/10/2012 at 14:33

Jen:

Regarding the Golden Bond for London.

I think i'd feel very nervous with one of them, there is so much pressure on you to perform then, and to gain the sponsorship. I paid for my entrance to my smaller marathon and that was that, if I wanted I could have raised 0, I think that helpded as well as I didn't have to do any heavy sell on my friends. 

I would love to run London, but unless I had the money to be able to be confident of not worrying if i had to just pay the money myself I wouldn't do it via a bond system. I mean if you say you are prepared to pay £1000 and have friends raise £1000 then heck it seems a lot easier, but if you cannot afford anything and really have to concentrate on the sponsorship... not sure how that would make me feel.

Hope I've not made it worse!!

Local Runs n stuff yes quite a few that I can go for, also trying to start a twitter hashtag group #TwitterRunningClub and a couple of friends i just know from twitter might want to do a 10k sometime earlyish next year as well.

Good luck

Sinbad: Hope you are feeling better now. 

Yes, the ultra I might have bit off a bit more then i can chew as the saying goes... I have to get back running if I wimp out and decide to start with a flatter / shorter ultra then I could get 50% money back upto end of this year, so I have a month or so to think about it, but would like to think I can still go for it.

I'm hoping to do my first run over the weekend, i've got a niggling pain in my knee and cannot decide if I should just leave it and let all my little niggles settle down before I start again, or if I should go for it and also look at some sort of fitness regime to start getting my core upto scratch.  I don't really know where to begin with that, and possibly cannot afford a decent gym, so might have to make do with a few 1 or 2kg weights at home and getting ingenious... I guess I need to read up on that a bit to work out what I really should do if i'm serious about generally improving my core strength.

Oh Diet, I gained 1 lb the week of the marathon, but it's already off and another 1 and a bit lbs.  I am as we speak 3/4 of a lb away from loosing 5 stone since March the 21st.  That would leave me at 10st 8, my original target was 10st 6 and I never though I would get anywhere near it   I'm tempted to keep pushing and thinking of trying for 9st 10 to 9st 13 as a good weight to be that is still in the high 23s regarding by BMI, but as it was 37.5 in march and it's now 25.4 I cannot really complain.

19/10/2012 at 17:02

Hi All,

That's still dam good going weight wise, that's a compliment

All I have magaed is a couple of lb so far. But getting there.

Weights can be a good alternative, homework is a good idea on the subject though.

Edited: 19/10/2012 at 17:05
19/10/2012 at 17:19

Hi Sinbad & Steph,

know how you feel re the bug Sinbad, been out a few days myself but betterish now so will get back into it this weekend. With you on the getting into a proper training regime, I'm going to do some research as opposed to going out for a run and then either seeing if I fancy trying to go a bit faster or further! whatever..(totally random, I realise)

Going to have a look at mixing it with a bike ride or two a week as do enjoy getting out on the bike and an interesting thread has recently stated about this.

Steph, know what you are saying about the bond places - it was actually this year I did the VLM for charidee - loved the event but was a bit stressy trying to raise the cash too (and there's the accommodation, travel etc) but all in all, hope to do it again but probably not going to be 2013, plenty of others to go at and agree with you - once you've paid your entry, no pressure to raise cash for charity so anything you do raise (if you choose to) is a bonus.

hope all going well for you and other thread followers

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.