From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

281 to 300 of 3,254 messages
23/10/2012 at 13:54

Hi all,

I don't think I would go through the charity way either. I'm not doing it for the 10k either. Member of staff invited me, to bring in a sponsorship form, but she was surprised when i said I was doing it for me, Personally, I think that some individuals have forgotton that its ok to just run for oneself.

I'm about to start looking now for a training regimene.

Glad people are enjoying their running.

23/10/2012 at 14:50

So I did my first run sunday i really didn't want to go but once I started I felt bloody awesome so glad that i went

23/10/2012 at 15:02

Hi All,

Good for  you booktrunk.

I'm totally confused by the different trainning programs for marathons.

23/10/2012 at 15:08

there are so many out there it's daft. 

You need to decide how many days you want to train a week.  3, 4, or 5.  I went for a 3 times a week plan, and added a 4th and 5th day at times myself, but only HAD to run the 3 times a week.  I found this helped me.  I think if i started knowing i had to run 5 days a week i would have been defeated before I started.

Once you've decided on the amount of weeks, then I guess you need to decide on what sort of time you want to finish at and setup maybe 3 plans with that target and then just decide which is best for you!

Good Luck

23/10/2012 at 17:02

Hi All,

Thanks for that booktrunk, will be bearing your words in mind.

25/10/2012 at 11:18

So are we all excited n going to try applying for the asics marathon places, to get some serious training support, etc... how awesome would that be.

do you think we should all wear asics clothing as it says include a recent piccy   I'm going with me just after I finished my marathon, wearing my asics hehe

Did 6k in 41:18 last night.  So not bad.

25/10/2012 at 14:27

wow.

I've just come across this tread and flicked through your journey from 0-marathon.

well done.

I am currently doing a 0-marathon training plan (also from ascis) for the london marathon next year. I am on week 4, and my initial excitment and motivation was feeling a bit weak today- probably due to the cold/rain/tired, hense my visit to runnersworld. then I saw this thread and am truely motivated to complete my challenge.

I wasnt sure 26 weeks would be enough to go from fat and lazy to marathon finisher, but seeing you achieve it in such an inspirational way has given me hope

congratulations and good luck with your future running, gj

25/10/2012 at 15:03

Thank you gj

Good luck with your plan.  Just remember try to enjoy yourself at the same time as that will make things easier, and  don't give up come and give us all a shout if you are struggling.  It's not about speed it's about the awesome feeling you will get on the day.  The hardest bit is the training, the marathon is fine, every step will take you closer to the end and it's great

26/10/2012 at 16:59

Hi All,

Which Garmin do you have booktrunk? I have just ordered the garmin forerunner10. It looks perfect for beginners like me, who don't have a clue.

Where is the asics marathon?

26/10/2012 at 17:05
The marathon is in Paris.

I got the 610 I barely use an of it's features but I work in IT and I'm a real gadget freak
26/10/2012 at 18:11

Hi All,

Lol with you Booktrunk.

I just can't afford any of the other's. But me and buttons don't mix , I should really try harder withh IT, I  can't even use facebook or twitter yet (properly).

Wow Paris, went there at least ten years or so ago. I went on my own alas, but still. It was quite an experience. I'm sure you will love it there.

Its taking me two hours to do 6 miles, terrible time.

I'm looking foorward to getting mine on Wednesday, the reviews are mixed,, but I think it will be a good starter gps starter for me.

26/10/2012 at 18:49

It sounds like it will be great

Just make sure you sync it up so it doesn't loose any data

Slow n steady you know that's how i started in fact how i still go Just keep plodding along and a litte speed comes with time.

26/10/2012 at 19:17

Hi All,

I will synchronise it. The guy in shop said all I need is my weight, and something else I'm sure the instructions will remind me. I will download the details after each jog, hopefully by doing that, I will be keeping up with myself.

Enjoy all your Friday evenning.

26/10/2012 at 20:01

Hi Sinbad,

Hope you're keeping well, sure you'llget on fine with your 110, that's what I've got and I find it perfectly adequate. The watch itself saves all of your activity and if you want to, you can download the data to your laptop/ PC. I don't tend to bother as am just happy enough to see what pace I'm going at  and how far I've gone. (and of an age where I still work in miles!) Haven't set the watch to kilometres but if that's your preference, really easy to do.

Hi Steph, great idea re: your Asics 26.2 entry, Think you stand a good chance as you've got a good story and already use the forum - which category you going for? (now you've got the Tshirt for the first timer)

26/10/2012 at 21:16
Ohh decisions

Has to be sub 5h would Ianahes sub 4:30 not sure if I could do that
27/10/2012 at 12:15

Hi All,

I'm sure you would put  a great time in booktrunk.

Jen, Its the forerunner10 not the 110, or is it the same one? I'm like you with regards to miles and km. What I don't get is that marathons and half marathons are still in miles, whereas the smaller runs are in kilometers 5k and 10k for example, or is it just me that doesn't get it?

Hi dj gi yes this is a good thread, there are a good mixture  of threads on here. It is hard work when the dark cold wet nights draw in, but I find sometimes its refreshing at times. You will find all people who come here very welcoming.

I managed to do 10k today, according to google maps. Although I walked one min, jogged two, and did it in 1 hour 14 mins, a fast walk for some people. But its a start, and makes me a little more comfortable for my 10k run on the 24th November.

Enjoy your runs today.

27/10/2012 at 15:48

Hey Team - first time forum user, feels like abit of group online dating haha. Well I have the introductories out of the way. i just wanted to mentioned that I just completed my 1st marathon in a time of 4hrs 35mins. Phew! I have that off my chest, the first 30km were at a 5:45m per km and then the last 12km went slightly pear-shaped. Due to recovering from a broken leg, stabbing pains in the leg for the last month of training meant I only went for 3/4 runs. I was pretty happy and to finish inside an Olympic Stadium, not bad.

I signed up in mi july and tried to follow a 12 week programme with varying levels of success.

I'm moving onto testing out an Olympic Dist. tri but only have speedo's, goggles and some shoes - neone know where I can find a half decent road bike? Can't afford anything over 500 quid.......

excuse the lack of reading all the posts, I will get onto it now but thought of diving head first into a post.

bye for now

27/10/2012 at 17:23

Hi Novice kiwi,

It's always hard the first post. Thats a good time you put in there. Best place for a bike I would guess Amozon or Ebay. Godd time for your first marathon. Are you  now going for a triatholon? I struggled a little with your abreveation.

Me I'm training to do my first marathon April 2013 in Manchester, I have a 10k again in Manchester end of November.

There a good bunch in here as most of the forums are, enjoy them.

28/10/2012 at 13:17

thanks for the note.I will check out amazon.too - good luck for the run in April. You'll enjoy the experience Im sure. I am super keen on the garmin Forerunner 310 or 620 - lot of cash tho hey.Good luck 1st time marathon goers, my only tip would be from having just finished one is to run a 4 hour run at least once so you body knows what it feels like and also no harm in doing a 35km training run or a 40km - my training plan said not to. The last 12kms were super slow for me as I think mentally it was unchartered waters so I was going for survival mode rather than yeah I've done this and keeping to a set pace.

just tossing up the idea to do Paris maybe aswell - means traning in the cold wet and snow here in Holland hmm

28/10/2012 at 20:30
Ouch.... Forgot about clock change and busy working.... Went out to late ended up running in dark, fell over grazed n bruised both knees, but my left arm really hurts where I landed on it.

Ouch, and very silly / frustrated. Actually had to get oh to come n pick me up. Feel better after a bath, arm still a bit painful
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.