From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

3,081 to 3,100 of 3,305 messages
19/08/2014 at 19:46

Instead of spending a fortune on energy bars for my ultra, I'm going to give these a go 

http://www.therunningstories.com/the-runners-cafe/peanut-butter-flapjack

might add some extra dried fruit in, or a mashed up banana or two.

19/08/2014 at 20:03

I'm thinking I need to eat around 250 calories per hour so that's 3,000 calories every 12 hours, 6,000 calories or more as it's likely to take me at least 24h.

but we normally eat around 2,000 so not... Might even Need a bit more,so I'm going to have to work hard to ensure that i eat enough.

those peanut butter flapjacks, are around 2,800 calories for the whole lot, take half, and have half in a drop bag for halfway. 

Tesco sausages rolls around 1,000 calories a big pack, so half a pack at start half in drop bag... 

8 x mini Battenberg, another 1,000 calories, half n half.

so that's around 4,800-5,000 calories. So that is what I will carry, split into start and half way drop bag, with whatever food I can grab at the checkpoints. 

Am I carrying to much it's less than before but still a lot. Maybe to much but that's the bare minimum so that with bits from checkpoints or if I meet my OH part way is I guess the way I'm going. 

19/08/2014 at 22:27

... Ignore a repeat post. Sorry! 

Edited: 19/08/2014 at 22:27
20/08/2014 at 12:37

Well, been to physio and have had my shoulder officially classed as a "frozen shoulder"

So I now have a load of physio stuff to do on it, that might or might not speed up it freeing up and being usable like normal again, and hurts like crap to do.

It could be like this for another day or another couple of years, it seems pretty random on when it frees up, but the physio said he had exactly the same himself, and it took months but he assured me it does clear up completely and i'll eventually be back to having a fully functioning shoulder, instead of pretty much just using my arm from the elbow down which i'm doing most of the time at the moment.

Under do you do any sport, i put down running including the odd ultramarathon, and we chatted about that and he said the running is brilliant for my body and to keep it up including the ultras, all the endorphins are great for the body he reckons Saying it must be doing my muscular skeleto body a load of good.

Nice to see a professional who's first reaction was that's great and keep doing it.

Nothing I can do will harm the shoulder, it's just completely stiff and hurts, the exercised are about pushing it as far as i can and putting up with the pain, and over time this might help it to loosen up quicker than if I did nothing, but they aren't really sure and it might not actually heal it quicker but he assured me it cannot do any harm, so it's worth doing.

Thanks NHS

Edited: 20/08/2014 at 12:37
20/08/2014 at 12:41

Oh no sorry to hear x hope it frees itself up.  Can you do any swimming or is it too bad?

20/08/2014 at 12:53

KattC I cannot really swim, but I don't think i'd be able to. so no real loss

I can lift it up at the front to around 75 degrees not level with my shoulder, Sideways just lifting it out to the side around 30/35 degrees. and if i try to put it behind my back i cannot touch my spine at all, it just will not go further unless i lean on it with my other arm, and that hurts as in want to shout sweary words hurty.

It's fine as I have an OH so he can do everything that's awkward for me, but it is annoying i struggle to put jumpers on or off, tight ones i cannot get off, so if I put a jumper on to run through the night on my ultra on Saturday unless i meet my oh in the morning if it's a tight top I might not be able to get it off myself, cannot do my running bra up or take it off easily. or use my right hand pockets properly in my ultra vest, so have to do everything with my left hand.

I can still hold heavy things if I lock out my elbow, i just have to move from the elbow down or flex my body, the shoulder just has to be left out of most equations.

Edited: 20/08/2014 at 12:54
20/08/2014 at 13:37
Had frozen shoulder few years ago that lingered....fizz suggested cortisone jab which I had...worth it as about week later all pain had gone and could do up sports bra!!
20/08/2014 at 13:50

Ohh someone else suggested that, will have to see how much I can get a injection for... See nhs physio again in 6 weeks if i don't do anything before and it's still the same will ask him what he thinks about it.

20/08/2014 at 13:59
Had 2 jabs at same time in at diff angles ....only paid usual 30 min appt fizz fee
20/08/2014 at 13:59

worth a try and sorry to hear that!  Boohhooo  hope the exercises help or an injection as anniesophie suggest - worked for a friend too.

20/08/2014 at 20:16

20 quid for a couple of cortisone injections? I'll take that whether I need them or not 

Steph, grab what help you can - a frozen shoulder doesn't sound good and will affect your running am sure  And, rather than an Ultra run it sounds like your going on an Ultra food fest lol.

20/08/2014 at 20:54

It is a lot of food, but it's only around 5,000 calories, considering how much I am going to use it's not unreasonable, we shall see  

The cortisone jabs sound way cheaper than I was expecting. I was thinking £100-200

20/08/2014 at 21:11

How many calories are you expecting to use during your ultra

20/08/2014 at 23:01

good question, looking at my stats, on garmin connect, when I did 82km that was around 4,500 calories and when I did 92km 5,250 

So this is meant to be around 138-140km so I reckon 7,500 - 9,000 

So..... This means I ain't eating enough but with sweets from the check points I'll up it, but it does really show that I need to eat all of the food I'll be carrying.

i haven't managed to eat well on my last ultras so I really want to get it right this time. 

Flapjacks are being made tomorrow. Just came up with the idea of adding salt so this will help with my electrolyte input, just hope they are edible I'll find out after work tomorrow. 

Edited: 20/08/2014 at 23:03
21/08/2014 at 08:15

Crickey that is a lot of calories and food to have to carry.  A friend of mine did the marathon de stables last year and struggled to get his intake each day.  It's not easy having to carry everything can you OH met you somewhere with some more supplies if that is allowed.

21/08/2014 at 08:36

I get a drop bag at half way so only need goodies for the first half

but yeah, oh could park the car somewhere for me to make a quick pit stop, but trying not to

21/08/2014 at 14:13

If you go into something thinking you will do it you will, if you go in thinking you will fail, you will fail.

I'm dying my hair bright pink again tonight in the style I had for my first ever race Leicester marathon. I'm going to do this Ultra and all i'm thinking about is me at the end punching the air and telling myself "I did it".

All doubts out the window, screw doubts, We are winners, on here, and i'm going to do it!

Edited: 21/08/2014 at 14:14
21/08/2014 at 18:40

Fantastic and good luck xxx you will do this ultra and think about telling us all about the adventure!

21/08/2014 at 20:23
Edited: 21/08/2014 at 20:36
21/08/2014 at 20:42

Wow xxx looks fab and good luck have a fab ultra.  The scenery is amazing in that area - enjoy every moment - love the ridgeway x

Hope the flapjacks turned out okay

Edited: 21/08/2014 at 20:43
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.