From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

301 to 320 of 2,564 messages
31/10/2012 at 21:54

So.... how exciting.  I've entered the Asics Paris Marathon competition.

I feel lucky today i'm official at my target weight.

I've lost 73lbs in 32 weeks.  Which has been awesome.  That and doing my marathon how about that for a good month.

Back out with 9km yesterday which was good.  How is everyone else doing?

I'm thinking lots about milton Keynes marathon but will not pay for entry until my next pay day as a bit broke this month.

Wish me luck everyone... I'm feeling lucky today, and have everything crossed.

31/10/2012 at 22:12

Congrats on hitting the weight target - that was quite an October for you. I've also entered the Paris Competition although don't expect to get far. It is a fantastic prize - would love a team of professionals behind me! Good luck - you've already got a great backstory

Slowly getting back into the running. Did a slow eight miler today and most of the aches, pains and stifness of running Leicester and Abingdon are slowly going. Have a last physio appointment tomorrow to hopefully put some injuries behind me that troubled me in he run up to the Marathons. Following that it will be easy running before the next 'campaign'

31/10/2012 at 22:23

We sound like we are in the same boat.  I'm thinking my next campain will hopefully be Paris Failing that Milton Keynes on 6th of May.

I'm a little paranoid as i'm not sure it uploaded the photo hope it did oh well. fingers crossed.

I didn't spot you in Leicester... but that's because I was right at the back

31/10/2012 at 22:34

Oh wow, how wild is that.  I've just noticed on my training plan.  That I have now done 99 runs, and 666km, now compared to all you veterans that's nothing. But tomorrow will be a big day for me as well as it will be my 100th run!!

01/11/2012 at 11:54

I've just caught up with this thread; great post booty, and well done on the marathon.  To be honest, from your early posts, I didn't think you could do it.

Just shows what I know eh?

Well done.  I've been a bit more conservative than you, my first is in January (Glos), so I've got a few months left and I've already done one 20 mile cross country run (mud 'n' hills), so I'm feeling confident.

And I'm thinking about an ultra and I haven't even done a marathon yet, so I'll look forward to your ultra post.

Again, well done!

01/11/2012 at 16:10

Thanks Easy.  I must admit there were a few times when I thought how am I going to do this.  But I worked out my plan, which was blind faith in my plan If I did at least what my plan said i had to do I decided that meant I could do it.

Some weeks I did more, but unless i was physically injured (i was for about 2 weeks) I did the run no matter how bad a day i'd had or how I felt, and it paid off.

I think everyone on here kept me sane at times, I love just reading about other people who are running, it just kept me going.

Oh and this thread.  I coudn't give up after I got to the stage where I had people saying come on

01/11/2012 at 20:12
8.01km in 56:35 tonight my 100th run I believe hurrah

Think this is the best I have felt when running since my marathon. Taken me a while I think to recover.

I think before my next marathon I really need to put in some longer slow runs to ensure I build up my stamina.

But I have only one run left on my marathon plan, my last relax you!mbe done a marathon. So I think next week I need to start a new plan.
Edited: 01/11/2012 at 20:13
02/11/2012 at 10:24

All going good Steph! Fingers crossed for the Asics /Paris comp, think you have  great chance as all the right reasons for enetring and as Also said, a reall good back story. (You have my vote!)

I took a week off after Leics as have a niggling foot/ ankle pain, but seems ok now so back to regular running. Still need to sort out a plan as being a creature of habit, just doing my regular run of out and back from home so 8 miles a run during the week and a longer one at the weekend, but need to get some structure in to work on speed and am distincly unspeedy at the mo!

Sinbad, hi, hows the training going and how you getting on with your garmin?

04/11/2012 at 15:56
That's it. I've ran my last run in my original marathon plan

8.6km in 58:41. So 6:49 per km now that I am getting a little bit quicker I guess I need to up the stamina for distance if I want a sub 5h (and in dreamland sub 4:30) in April or May next year.
05/11/2012 at 16:05

Congrats at completing the plan, I'm struggling to get the speed up (should probably refer to this as "pace" as there's not a lot speedy about it!)  and only just managing to get inside an hour for 10k so going backwards as managed 55.16 at Rothley 10k back in June.

At least getting back into the running now and same thoughts as you - distance work to get stamina up. And looking forward to following your 50 miler plan!

07/11/2012 at 08:24

So... I'm seriously sulking, as I work as part of a team of two, and my colleague has booked a mini holiday in ireland at the end of this month, so he's away on the 30th November so I don't know how big a nightmare it would be for me to try to get the day off even if I was choosen to be in the asics run paris marathon short list.  Typical of my luck, knowing how it's going i'd get picked now and have to work out what the heck i could do  

Oh well, mustn't worry about the future. 

I've setup my second Marathon plan now.... for 6th May the Milton Keynes marathon not signed up yet, but will do, and at least the plan is in place.  I'm still very nervous about the ultra as it's not just a little ultra, it's a bloody steep hard ultra hey ho!!.  But my marathon is about week 9 in that plan.  I can sort of merge it in without to many complications, I would need to add some extra runs on the second weekend day when i'd normally rest for the last 5 or so runs, and have a lot less of a taper to move around the plans, but I think I can do it so will concentrate on the Marathon plan itself but add in extra bits to simulate the extra work two days in a row that the ultra plan wants, and try to ensure I get some serious running on some bloody steep hills in as well come the new year.

It might not be the best preperation for the ultra.  But it's there.  I set myself up for 4 runs a week, on my new asics plan, and will see how it goes, that's as high as you can go they like you to do more resting inbetween and I can of course cross train on those days training other bits of my body.  I said ideally I wanted a 4:30 time but realistically my second marathon should be a goal of getting below 5h as my fist was 5:30:22 anyway using my current speed as it does ask what speed you can do it in etc.. and what you want to achieve it's set a goal of 4h 55m last time i beat it's time by 8 minutes so if I can beat that by 8 minutes then that's a high 4:40s anyway... it set that as my goal time, but it's actual predicted time for me was 4h 59m and 30odd seconds so it thinks i could do 4:55 but says in reality it's guesstimate is that i'll just squeeze under 5h.  Well I really want to prove that wrong so lets see how it goes.

Don't know if anyone is interested in carrying on following me I think a few are

So not sure if I should start a 2nd Mara thread / baby ultra steps thread or just carry on with this one

07/11/2012 at 09:39

This thread is truly insirational, Thank You.

I have started running again - up to 3-4 miles - ina  very slow heavy fashion but now I read this I am enthused again

Cheers

07/11/2012 at 10:31

Booktrunk, well done on what you've achievd so far, both running and weightloss. The marathons get easier the more you do, and the more long run miles you can get in your legs, as this was your first and as a new runner, you were really only trying to make the distance, you'll find as you complete the new schedule, especially at a lower body weight, your times will drop dramatically from your first training, provided you're prepared to push a little. Most of the advice about not overtraining or running too fast too often is sound but sometimes a little over cautious, to run faster you have to run faster. Yes stick to easy conversation pace most of the time, but once a week try and bust your lungs.

As for the Ultra's no different to running a marathon, it's all in your mind.

09/11/2012 at 11:54

Thanks lard.

I might end up having to cancel my ultra... I will see when I get back to running.  I'm going to be out of action for 6 or so weeks I think.... Have to have a small op (Blush, yes i'm having a boob job now i'm skinny) when I was 15st+ always said if I could get skinny.... well I am 65kg spot on today. so sod it i'm going for it!! so stopping running around the 20th, and I'm not sure how soon I can run again i'm estimating the beginning or maybe end of January. .... Slight change of plans!!

17/12/2012 at 00:39
Hehe...

Hello.... Back after a slight delay.... Well I've been a bit wild and gone and had a boob job *blush* so that's sort of slightly caused my runnin to grind to a halt

My surgeon was pretty pessistic about when I can get back running and distance, saying short jogs at six or eight weeks but saying it he frankly recommends waiting Upto a year before doing any thing long like a marathon as then everything would be totally healed but that seems rather a long time to me.

Think I'll do an post in the health section see if anyone is willing to talk about running after one

It was 3 and a bit weeks ago, chatting to others some are back feeling great after only a few days.. Me I felt shite was in way more pain the. I was hoping for and really struggled with my body not liking the silicone, I was actually shivering and shaking with cold just about every day for the first two and a half weeks my chest felt like a block of ice. Anyway my body over the last three or four days has finally started behaving itself, so I'm feeling better. Today was the first day I did anything other then work and laying around at home afterwards. I managed a 5m walk. Not exciting but better than nothing

So... I'm alive still just still out of running action until some point inid January possibly.

Oh they look bloody brilliant in case anyone wondered

Steph xxx
17/12/2012 at 10:33

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

17/12/2012 at 10:44

Congrats on the new puppies! Remember they are for life, not just for Christmas

17/12/2012 at 11:05
lardarse wrote (see)

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

Bahh humbug.....Oh Heck... It is Xmas.....

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/712846/gallery/photo_3(3).jpg?width=350

Also-ran indeed i'll ensure I keep feeding them

17/12/2012 at 18:42

Oooooooooooh!     

...do you need any help feeding them?! lol

17/12/2012 at 19:05
very nice
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.