From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

381 to 400 of 2,989 messages
03/03/2013 at 00:17

Txs booktrunk and, (whilst I don't have a dog) one day I may replicate your run time

03/03/2013 at 09:02

It is good when in the relatively early days of running properly (I managed ~3 months structured training last year June-Sept and then started again in Jan this year, and aiming to be even more structured with goals from after next weeks HM) you make decent improvements.

Just for fun my two cousins and I are having a 1 mile challenge this week (they are over a decade younger and fitter) - it's been fun trying as it is a difficult distance when you're used to HM, and marathon training, I highly recommend it - it's then interesting to throw the result into McMillanrunning.com to see what it predicts.

My first mile attempt was slower than predicted from my 10K and HM times, I think it showed a lack of willpower to push though any pain/fatigue (all in the mind!), tried again yesterday and managed a little better than my predicted time with some to spare indicating my distance times had room for imporvement.  One more attempt then the rest of the week off tapering (resting!) for the Grantham HM on Sunday.

Keep it up!

03/03/2013 at 17:21
Gentle 7km cross country in 47m followed by a dog walk and then 115 arm (bicep) curls when I got home.

Hehe I am so not the same person I was a year ago
03/03/2013 at 18:37

@Daeve, I put my 1k, 1 mile, 5k and 10k times into Macmillan a while ago and all but the 1 mile seemed about right (my mile was much slower than predicted). Will probably try to improve some/all of them later in the month. And good luck for next Sunday

Well done booktrunk and congratulations on your 'transormation'

No running for me today (ran 21 miles in total this week) but walked a short hill loop I might try out next week though it might take me a while to be able to run the .29 mile 14% incline (I may opt for short hill repeats until I can run it comfortably

07/03/2013 at 22:58

How's it going folks?

No running for me for a few days - got a niggling calf pain but it seems better so may go out tomorrow in readiness for my attempt at 7.5 miles without a walk break at the weekend (we can all dream lol).

07/03/2013 at 23:09
Struggling I cannot decide if my
Knee is a bit shafted or If it's the IT Band.. bit nervous, I went out tonight was doing a nice gentle run feeling brilliant. 4.6k in knee just crumbled limped home took 35 minutes to plod 1 mile home, ouch, once I got back had a bath it's fine but if I put pressure in the knee walking downstairs it's bloody painful
07/03/2013 at 23:38

Ouch, not good booktrunk

Sounds like a visit to the Doc or Physio is needed? and take things easy until you do.

09/03/2013 at 01:09

Oh no, sounds like ITB booktrunk, either way (try to see a physio) take some time off running and anti-inflammatories as a start, I had it when I started running, it would hit me after a few miles, then a week off and try again - ok fr a bit then - bang... I just had a month off, did ITB stretching/strengthening excercises (try a foam roler?) with anti-inflammatories for several days at the beginning, then took it easy.

HM for me Sunday, ankle a little dodgy but other than that feeling ok.. been carb loading mainly with beer tonight!

09/03/2013 at 01:49
Thanks Daeve
09/03/2013 at 08:03

Good luck for Sunday Daeve -think you mentioned Grantham so can't imagine you'll go too far before you hit some hills!

Likewise good luck on your 7.5 this weekend Andi, you planning to incorporate the 14% into that?!

Hope your knee isn't too bad Steph. As Daeve said, foam roller good idea so long as you like a fairly "robust" massage. (ie: it can bloody hurt!) You still doing Loughborough Half? 

I'm starting to rethink my running, last few weeks I've had less oppurtunity to get out as often as I usually do (5 or 6 days a week) and been going 3 or 4. I'm putting a couple of miles exrtra on each run and times are (slowly!) improving. Saying that, proof will be next weekend at 20 miler. Did 3hrs 11 last year and think current form will be slower. Never mind, at least theres a cheese cob in the goody bag at the end!

09/03/2013 at 20:04

Ah yes, Grantham has a couple of decent hills in it apparently - and also snow it seems from the forecast!

10/03/2013 at 15:32

Just sat here watching the rugby thinking Daeve should be finished aroung now and looking forward the the review

Jen, sadly no running this weekend as on Friday I came down with (man) Flu and just been sleeping for 3 days. Am feeling a bit better today so hoping to feed up and maybe go for a short jog tomorrow. and Oooh, you say 20 miler as if it's no big deal - must be the runner in you

10/03/2013 at 20:41

Review....  Grantham is cold and hilly!  Felt like -5 C according to Garmin's new weather thingy and an inch of snow fell overnight.  Course wasn't too bad though, mostly puddles, though it snowed a little toward the end - great scenery.  2 Massive hills though, one at 6 miles and one at 10 and a bit.  At one point I couldn't feel the toes on my left foot.

I found some guys in running club tops and stuck with them as they seemed to know what they were doing and it worked, pace varied by only 3 or 4 seconds per quarter mile (except the hills where I had to walk some of the second, and may as well have on the first).

I'm destroyed now, not really able to walk or put my left foot down fully - happy though, clock said 1:45:20, chip time still to be released (a few seconds less I think) - new PB.  I just need to recover before Friday as I've volunteered for a Sports Science trial at work and have a VO2max/lactate test which I think will just about take the last of my energy after watching what is entailed on youtube!

Best to rest where man flu is concerned Andi - lets hope everyones injuries/illnesses fade and we can keep it up

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 20:42
11/03/2013 at 08:20

Congrats Daeve, I like your plan about sticking with the club guys in order to keep pace.   That's a great time, hope you've arranged to rest up today!

More good advice to you Andi re: recovery. And as for 20 miler being no big deal - errr, nope! Think I'm trying to channel my inner runners mindset in lieu of the ability!

11/03/2013 at 09:55

Daeve - great review and time hope your up to the tests next weekend as they should be very beneficial to you in your training.

Lol Jen and yes, I guess 20 miles is run as much in the mind as with the legs

'Man flu' seems to be easing today thanks so may nip out for 30 minutes after work if I feel up to it.

13/03/2013 at 15:31

Brilliant Run Daeve

awesome speed

So i've not run for a day under a week, my knee feels a lot better, i am still getting the odd twinge from it, but that's all it's not collapsing under me at all now i'm using lifts instead of stairs when i can at work and generally it's healing well. I'm going to give it until next Tuesday and then go out for a gentle run.  Possibly my first ever run with a group of people apart from my marathon, might meet up with somoene from twitter who keeps saying i should run with her group

I've got a knee brace from when I had a problem with my other knee last year, i'll try out mayve a few hundred yard jog on Sunday and if i'm upto it go for it Tuesday.  Itching to get back out there now!

Other stuff: The diet is going well under 9st 10lbs now.  Never thought i would get down to 10st never mind 9 something.  Loving the new healthier me.  A week away from my first swimming lesson gulp!! 

I want to be out there running!

13/03/2013 at 15:32

Oh... I have a really vain confession.  I want to try a pair of those vibram 5 finger thingies... Don't ask me why I cannot give you a rational explanation, but I do really want to have a go with a pair of them!

13/03/2013 at 22:51

I've fancied that too, though my feet are a bit bruised from Sunday still.  Glad to hear your knee is getting better, don't go too soon if it's not right though, no matter the pull of running!

Impressive diet - I've plateau'd a bit now at 13st1 down from 14st11 due to not dieting as race preparation (my excuse is carb loading! )  I could do with moving another 1/2 stone by my next 5K in April and HM in May I think.  Maybe I"ll do another round of P90x as well as running?

VO2max test on Friday - not quite recovered yet though, still aches to go downstairs, hoping I"ll be ready.

14/03/2013 at 09:29

Well done on the diet Steph, think you said a few weeks ago that you were hovering at 10st so to have dropped those 4lbs shows determination! You'll probably find the swimming will help to maintain and tone too. And good to hear the knees on the mend too! The group run sounds like a good idea - I went out with a local running group a few times and it really helped. Unfortunately the training nights also clashed with other commitments so couldn't continue.

Daeve, hope your aches are easing off now, and hope V02max goes well tomorrow.

Not too sure about the Vibrams myself, but saw a fair few about at Leicester mara last year, seems to be some fans on the forums here as well. Any idea if they reduce blisters at all? Blisters are my bugbear, that said, I've been using corn wraps (yeah, I know it sounds yukky!)  instead of plasters as a preventative measure, and that's been working suprisingly well.

Andi, how's the "man flu"? Did yo get your run on Monday?

14/03/2013 at 10:00

I've only had 1 blister... the one time i wore an expensive skinny pair of socks that cost a fortune... Not tried since 3 for £4 karrimor thick socks and no problems

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.