From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

401 to 420 of 3,254 messages
14/03/2013 at 18:10

I know what you mean about the cheapies - comfiest pair of long running socks I've got were from Aldi!

14/03/2013 at 19:25

@Jen, still recovering from the flu and not been running for a week now so getting a little techy

Well done on the diet booktrunk and Daeve, carb loading is no excuse! I've lost a stone now although lost the last 2lb when I was supposed to be back to gaining LBM

Socks are a biggy for blisters for me as well and the 1,000 miles socks seem the best, I paid a fortune for X-socks and my toes became raw after just 5 miles.

Am in the middle of reading 'Born to Run' and like most readers of it it has rekindled my interest in barefoot running and am considering something like the vibrams 5 fingers - booktrunk, how do they feel? not sure my toes would enjoy being in 'gloves'. 

14/03/2013 at 19:28
Haven't got a pair... Thinking about getting them I want the bright pink ones but ??115 seems a lot!!
14/03/2013 at 20:43

Ah, me and my speed reading again  Of course, they would have to be pink so your colour co-ordinated from head to toe

14/03/2013 at 21:16
Oh my GHOD I've just got a pair bikila in pink hehe also got a pair of toe socks will try them with and without the socks
14/03/2013 at 21:47
This could be fun!! Or a bit of an expensive disaster. I guess they should arrive Monday!

Going out with a friends running club Tuesday for my first group run!! Nervous! And hope my knee survives it, then Wednesday out I guess for a short run in the five fingers will wear them around the house as well to get used to them.
14/03/2013 at 22:02
Hehe I can now do a 0-marathon in vibram five fingers hehe.....
14/03/2013 at 22:09

Arrgghh, you have me jealous now but shall hold back till the next time I'm on the mainland so i can try a pair on (and read up some more).

14/03/2013 at 22:13
I'll post an update on them when I get them next week
14/03/2013 at 23:46

Hiya booktrunk....I'm new to this thread but it looks like we've been on a very similar journey!

I'd not done any running/exercise at all since I left school (I'm 41 too) and started the C25K program last April. I've stuck to the program and followed a plan in a book I got on training for a marathon.

I succumbed to a knee problem in November that really reduced my mileage until I finally saw a physio around a month or so ago who diagnosed ITBS and gave some stretches and rolling exercises.

WOW...big difference and I'm now up for my first marathon on 14th April...can't wait!

It IS amazing what's achievable if you put your mind to it.

Edited: 14/03/2013 at 23:47
15/03/2013 at 00:06
I agree so much of it is in the mind being bloody minded and stubborn does help a little.

If my knee is not up to running next week it's physio time!
15/03/2013 at 00:10

Good luck...yeh, I'm a stubborn git! I've had to make a lot of sacrifices to get all these runs in this last year....funnily enough if it pans out to plan, my marathon may well be exactly my 100th run since I started training.

My knee pain was ultimately traced to me having a tight muscle in my buttock (piriformis iirc) which once I started rolling it and stretching it the knee pain went away!

Good luckm hope it mends soon...I know how truly gutting it is when you enjoy running and pain spoils it.

15/03/2013 at 00:15
Thanks for that yes my mara was similar about my 97th run so I guess when newbies ask we can say it takes about 100 runs to get Upto a marathon
15/03/2013 at 18:46
So...

I'm now officially signed up for the Milton Keynes marathon 6th may? On the bank holiday.

My knee has sore times but is feeling a lot better, also has now come out in a bruise as if it had been bashed but taken almost two weeks for bruising to appear weird!! So am planning to be back with a 7 jog on Tuesday and it my five fingers arrive on Monday then I think I might go out for a 1km max trial with them on Monday evening.

First swimming lesson on Wednesday. If my knee is ok after that lot another 7k Thursday then maybe try 10k Sunday and back to full training for MK marathon after that.

Steph x
16/03/2013 at 00:37
booktrunk wrote (see)
Hehe I can now do a 0-marathon in vibram five fingers hehe.....
Good news: I'll join your thread
Bad News: You owe me the best part of £90 cos you made me buy a pair.
Seriously, I've been looking at these for a while now and guess you helped push me into it - this could be fun (or not).

16/03/2013 at 09:12

Andi hehe

Tired!! Red Nose Day was awesome was at the studio

Edited: 16/03/2013 at 09:12
17/03/2013 at 20:23

Today I found out where my Patella is and how painfull it can be

Not sure if it has anything to do with yesterdays 8.4 mile run? but guess I'm pleased I have the pain now and not straight after I try out my vibrams (Monday/Tuesday hopefully). Needless to say I refrained from going out today

17/03/2013 at 20:38
Hehe I hope mine come tomorrow!!
19/03/2013 at 20:26
So ....

VFF's (Vibram Five Fingers (Bikila in pink) arrived today.

They look really pretty they are also very skinny compared to my asics 2170s

So I squeezed into them and ran 1km (and another 5k in my normal trainers) I certainly noticed that I run differently in them.

I ran in a lot more upright position, landing I think correctly on the balls of my feet. It felt really good. BUT, I do notice a little ache in my calves just from plodding along for 1km.

I'm excited about my new challenge of getting to use them more, will try to do some sort of short run in them a couple of times a week, only 1-3.3k distances as I need to sort out getting my arse in gear now I'm back running after my dodgy knee for my May marathon.

Might struggle now to beat 5h we will see, but I have this race in May, then Leicester marathon I assume in October and that's all
I have planned
19/03/2013 at 20:54

I'm impressed you're doing a marathon again so soon bt, 6 months until mine.  I've just entered Eyam HM in May so "ramping" (joke, it's apparently incredibly hilly!) my training up a bit.

I bought some Yoursoles "Soles" insoles that you heat in the oven and mold to your feet, they really make a difference compared to the standard insoles - managed 23 miles in the last 4 days and so much less aching with them than without.

Just for interest I got my results form the sports science assessment today - VO2max 45.15 mL/Kg/min and LT around 7:45 min/mile - not that it means a great deal to me other than I have to run for 2 hours at 70% VO2max which is 11.1 km/h for a trial they are doing.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.