From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

421 to 440 of 3,100 messages
19/03/2013 at 22:20
I love runners world, there are some seriously bad ass runners on here.

Everyone at work says I'm a runner I can now do sub 30m 5km and I've done 899.3km since I started running in May last year, but compared to lots in the forums I'm still a walker.

I love the extremes you get, those struggling to do the London who won't ever touch their trainers again to those that are members of the 100 marathon club who don't blink when doing a 20m training run before work

I still cannot work out if there is some point when you can officially say I'm a runner or if it's all in the mind and frankly the ment you lace your shoes up and goes out in shit weather you are a runner.

All I know is that I spent a month with my legs in utter agony 24x7 for the first four weeks and now I'm excited that I should just squeeze in 1,000km in my first year.

I love the fact that we are all so different. Large, small, tall, short. But we all have one thing in common we all go out no matter the weather and just keep on running or plodding

I want to shake everyone's hand or hug / high five them
19/03/2013 at 23:39

@Daeve, sounds like your insoles are a blessing and yup, those figues are all Greek to me as well.

@BT, Well said and I hear you! I still consider myself a plodder but when I first 'ran' for 60 minutes without a walk break the other week I considered it a big milestone and guess I can think of  myself a runner now? 

There are those that naturally take to this running lark and those that struggle with their weight, Kudos to all that don their shoes and get out there

20/03/2013 at 08:05
Easily a runner

I'm happy, I had no idea if I'd be able to loose any weight as I always seemed to be expanding but I smashed past all my dream targets this year.

I lost 85 lbs. so now a decent 9st 7lbs
20/03/2013 at 11:56

I think you can officially consider yourself a runner the day you start enjoying regular running (regardless of pace), prior to that you're just aspiring to be one - hoping one day you will enjoy it.  I know when I started I didn't "love" it - it was hard work.  Now when it is hard work I just feel even better.

3 years ago when I started (I only managed to run for about 2-3 months each year before the GNR) I considered myself a plodder - thinking I'd never break a 2h HM, a year later I was proved right with an even slower one - but then a revelation!  Training it does make a difference.  Following a plan was the best thing I did and while I'm not fast by most standards, I'm improving and enjoying it which is the main thing.

20/03/2013 at 22:51
Ey up!!

I survived my first hour of swimming around half an hour each on breast stroke n front crawl, have a slight ache in the base if my right calf now!! Little worrying sure it will settle down
21/03/2013 at 08:56

Hey Steph! You have been busy! Glad you enjoyed swimming, I'm sure it won't be long until you start a thread on training for your first tri! (I'm half serious here  )

Will be interesting to see how you and Andi get on with the Vibrams - I looked around at the run I went to last Sunday for wearers as was going to ask how they got on with them, but none spotted - I'm due some new trainers but think I'll be sticking with the conventional for now! (I'm tempted by the Adidas Boost, but am I just being taken in by the hype?)

Enjoying the thoughts on when can you consider yourself a runner - agree with all that's said - getting out there in all weather and achieving your targets.

As Daeve said, a training plan really makes the difference.  Last year I worked on the principles of regular hilly/ speedwork and long steadys and enjoyed my running. Haven't been quite so committed this year (no excuses, I've been lazy) and unsurprisingly did last Sundays  20 miler nearly 20 mins slower than last year  - I was expecting that but it has given me the kick up the arse I needed! Will be interesting to see how Loughborough half goes this weekend, and then a proper plan for Leicester later this year!

21/03/2013 at 17:04

Steph, that is an amazing amount to lose!! BIG CONGRATLATIONS That's more than the worlds largest ball of tape weighs and almost as much as a new born calf Fingers crossed the csalf muscle heals itself soonest.

Daven, that sub 2 hour HM is just around the corner I'm sure

Jen, all my running involves hills so get that training for free every time I get out (not up to any speed work yet, maybe later in the year).

After the fiasco with my Vibram FF sizing my new smaller pair arrived today. I struggled to get them on as my pinky toes seem to slip under it's neighbour so had great touble seperating them. Once on I decided to try a jog round the block as it's only 200-250 yards on grass, paving, tarmac and an unmade road (mainly tarmac/potholes/stones). Straight away I naturally starting forefoot striking and my stride seemed shorter with a faster footfall. My calves knew they were doing something 'different' as did my hamstrings and shins but as that was such a short distance might try twice round the block next time

21/03/2013 at 17:06

Hi Guys,  I started my running journey a couple of years ago, and I have just started a blog about 'starting running':

http://www.run-to-be-happy.com

It would be great to see some of you over there.  Any feedback would also be ace

Paulo

21/03/2013 at 21:33
Andi, really interesting to hear how you noticed the difference in how you are running straight away- I'm going to be watching what you and Steph report back with interest!
And second your congrats to Steph- 85lb loss is bloody amazing, must feel great to have not only achieved what you set out to do Steph, but also sounds like you have surpassed it! Hope as well as new trainers that you are enjoying creating your new wardrobe!
21/03/2013 at 22:22
New wardrobe is fun, interested in clothes for the first time, 8/10 is novel compared to 22/24 hurrah.

7.2k in 47m tonight on an empty stomach
22/03/2013 at 20:14

Jen it was acase of having to change my running cos I couldn't have heel struck in those shoes

Steph, summer wardrobe for you soon then

Second run out in the Vibrams and managed 3/4 mile round the block, don't think there is a single flat bit on this route and just shy of 200 feet up/down. It felt good and could feel I was standing taller than normally. Might try a mile tomorrow if the wind dies down a bit, I did have cold feet when I came home (don't like the sound of socks with toes).

23/03/2013 at 12:47
Hi Andi, didn't realise the vibrams could make such a difference! Not sure I could put up with the cold tootsies though!
Steph, hope you've enjoyed hitting some of the lovely clothes shops in Loughborough, some nice ones down by Church Gate Mews! And your times really seem to be coming on now- you've given me the incentive to crack on with a plan rather than plodding on.
And Mervin, hello and hope your traing still on track for your mara!
Was looking forward to Loughborough half tomorrow but been emailed to say its postponed cos of the snow - I guess looking on the up side, it gives me a few extra weeks training, oh, and I can have a nice chilled bottle of Sauvignon blanc tonight!
23/03/2013 at 22:25
Hehe the wine tonight is the best way to make up for it
23/03/2013 at 23:47

Jen, it it's so cold here my feet get cold in my 'normal' running shoes My calves and lower shins really ache when I sit for a while today but can walk it off in a few minutes (bit like when I first started running).

Sorry about Loughborough but enjoy the wine

25/03/2013 at 21:04
Wine certainly made up for it!
Andi, bloody cold here too - can't go out for a run as north Leicestershire seems to have been pretty well hit by the snow and footpaths full of the stuff that's been cleared from the roads. Saying that, sure it's the "lite" version compared to what you have up there!
How's the new shoes coming on?
25/03/2013 at 21:58

Thought the wine would do the trick Jen

The snow missed all but the highest hills here so have been very lucky Todays 5 miler was along the 'New Road' (funny cos it's 30 years old lol) and could almost through a stone over to the mainland and snow was pretty sparse there as well.

As for the Vibrams I think 3/4 mile was too far for my second outing so have been hobbling around for a few days with the sore calves and lower shins. Just a niggle/growing pain I think as there is no pain when I jog in 'normal' shoes will go no further than 3/4 mile for the next few runs.

How are you finding your Bikilas Steph? 

28/03/2013 at 10:53
10.55km 69:07

Also my dog is famous she has just had her piccy retweeted by @runnersworlduk
28/03/2013 at 20:21

Nice run BT! I'm much slower and managed 6.23 miles today in 74:44 but was dead on my 12 min/mile target so happy

Am sure your just as famous as yer dog round runnersworld and why was it retweeted praytell?

29/03/2013 at 18:50

Some good stuff there - I'm still off running with a bruised ball of foot, hoping to get out tomorrow as It's been almost 2 weeks now.  Some new runnign shoes on the way for Tues delivery (Adidas Energy Boost) to see if they help with a bit more cushioning on the forefoot.

31/03/2013 at 17:25
Ohhh @Daeve tell us how your boost shoes go!! The complete opposite from my VFF's

Andi, just because she looked her adorable, bone idle self

So after doing a load of not great distance runs due to bad knee (which does seem to be getting better) I decided to just say sod my knee and went for it today. If I want to do MK marathon need 3 decent distance runs, so I managed to stagger around 25.6km today in 3:00:56

Which was better than I expected!

My first long run for my first marathon was 24km in 3:16:52 so 1.6km further in 16 minutes less I guess that is progress I'm a bit off piste with my plan but going to maybe do shorter next week then a 28/30 and a 32/33 the two weeks after that would then give me a relaxed last weekend in April (my 42nd birthday) then a week until the MK Marathon. My total running distance is now up to 943.8km even with my hiccups lately should still nanage over 1000km in my first year of running

Three long run comparison so far.

First Marathon - Leics 2012
24km in 8:12 total 3:16:51
28km in 8:21 total 3:54:00
32km in 7:54 total 4:12:52
Total 84km in 11:23:43

Second Marathon - MK 2013
25.6km in 7:04 total 3:00:56

Steph
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.