From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

521 to 540 of 2,553 messages
15/04/2013 at 19:32
Steph, I think based on your training programme that your option B really is achievable and then option A very much so for Leicester! Bear in mind you'll also have the benefit of training over the spring/ summer months with all the benefits of what you've learned over the past year.
Congrats to Toby3, that's seriously impressive! What threads that discussion on?
Good park run Trigger, hope return to work was ok, and that you are now suitably "maintained" !
And hello Ali, I'd be very happy to scratch in at 3.59, so well done.
I'm still plagued by bloody plantar, going to get out a lot more on the bike to maintain fitness. Usually just do one or two rides a week but find the cycling has far less impact on my feet and knees (god, I'm so old!) so will be looking to up that to four bike rides and two runs for the next couple of weeks. So my lovely little bike has been for a service today to bring her back to proper use.
15/04/2013 at 19:50
In events / Brighton marathon and the weight loss thread here on beginners
16/04/2013 at 20:41
Tis weird it's my second, and yet I think I'm more nervous this time around I'm a bag of nerves and it is still nearly 3 weeks away.

The knee doesn't help, but it's almost like I cannot have this go wrong as it will look
like getting around the first time was a fluke. Hehe I wonder if that makes any sense or if you think I'm mad for saying it.

Warned work not to expect any miracles when it comes to speed. Trying to talk it down myself but I really do want a sub 5h so of not this time then extra pressure on for Leicester in October.

Mind you.... If I do sub 5h in may I dread to think what I will want for October! Hehe.

Sub 4h in the London mara next April.... Is that to greedy!! Probably can barely do 4km at the necessary pace now
16/04/2013 at 20:43
Jen: good luck with the bike I'm thinking of getting a reasonable bike through cycle
To work. Was tempted by a boardman hybrid.
17/04/2013 at 10:01

Went to the physio yesterday and now have my knee taped up with pretty pink tape.  Have to keep it on for 3 days and it’s there to protect the medial collateral ligament.  Although she still thinks this is the problem there’s a lot of fluid and swelling around the knee and she thinks that I should have an ultrasound.  I’m now left with trying to persuade my GP/NHS to provide an ultrasound!  Wish me luck with that!  She also thought that there might be some patella tendonitis going on so even more fun to look forward too.  But the good news is I CAN STILL RUN!  The key is stretching/strengthening quads, glutes and hamstrings!

Am getting really excited for those running London on Sunday!  Still don’t think I’m going to try and do too much until I get knee sorted out.  Have got a couple of 10ks scheduled but apart from that am just going to have to concentrate on not hurting myself!

Do you know what the problem is with your knee booktrunk?  Hope it doesn't cause you any real grief.  Congratulations on the biking - I can't ride to save my life - my quads really don't like it.  How're you feeling today?

17/04/2013 at 10:16

Feeling good today, actually i'm getting a little excited by my knee... as i've been noticing that in day to day use it's hurting less all the time.

I am not sure what it is I am to tight to spend money getting it looked at!! I should really, but now it's getting better fingers crossed.....

Hummm, what is it.  I did think ITBand but i'm not so sure.... I do remember that I twisted my knee slightly in the snow when i was out running so just skipped running in the snow for a couple of weeks, then started off again ok, but then going through a muddy field I did similar my foot slid and twisted under me, and I think i did the same / irritated it from the first time, and it's just ever since been a bit hit and miss.  I have a horrible totally non running brace that is huge that wraps around about 8 inches above and below the knee and is a big velcro strap basically i can run fine in that, i tried running in a thin ITBand strap just above the knee and that didn't help it at all, i've since seen someone wear the same band just below the joint and as my pain is at the bottom outside corner i might try that next run.  I think I really just need to rest it longer than I do.  Which is why my plan is to get through my 6th May Mara (Milton Keynes) and then just not run at all until a charity run I have 8.5 miles (a slow jog) on 2nd of June.

Then start again carefully after that as i'll then be starting to train for my October Marathon. Then I can have a two or four week rest and then begin getting ready for London 2014.

17/04/2013 at 10:22

OMG booktrunk you're certainly packing it in!  I wish you well.  Could possilby be that slipping and sliding that have caused some strain/wear and it hasn't had a chance to heal properly.  All this in the pursuit of pleasure and keeping fit!  I've got one of those velcro knee supports but haven't used it yet as I didn't want to start depending on it. May do so as I work myself up to the 10k but we'll see.

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 15:06
19/04/2013 at 15:40

7km in 43m last night on a one way run, it was nearly all straight into the wind which was horrendous so very please with the time. 

My times for sub 12k times have started to really come down now, and predictions based on them at times are down to 4:40 for a marathon, but the issue is that because i've not done enough long stamia building runs due to the knee i know i cannot keep that up.  So will latch onto the 5h timers and just see how it goes.  2 and a bit weeks my OH has phoned and apparently my Milton Keynes pack is at home with my number etc... That is soooo exciting getting my number.

19/04/2013 at 15:47

make a plan and stick to it booktrunk. so if running with the 5hour pacers feels easy for the first few miles, don't be tempted to speed up a bit. Not yet. If it's still ridiculously easy at half way, and not starting to get hard, then speed up ever so slightly and pull away from them gradually over the next few miles. Don't, whatever you do, throw in s hero mile at this stage. If you still feel good at mile 20, and feel like youre running well within yourself, then drop the hammer and go for it. At this stage it's basically a 10k race on tired legs with exhausted fuel supplies, so going for it means digging in and leaving everything on the road, but it doesn't mean sprinting off for 100m then dying in a corner.

For now, you just need to hold it together for a couple of weeks, all the hard work is done. I'm in a taper-fever myself at the moment waiting for Manchester. Something tells me the germans probably have a word for that feeling of restlessness you feel during a taper.

19/04/2013 at 15:52

Thanks AgentGinger.

I've read few the stuff on here about plans a few times, and from what I remember and what I was planning on was don't be stupid and try to speed up until past 20 more like past 22 miles.  If at that stage you are feeling good go for it a bit, but if you go to soon you'll just blow up and make an even bigger arse of yourself

Yes i'm sure they do

It's daft how excited you can be when looking forward to something that you know is going to be bloody hard work.  If I was being paid and told how much effort i'd have to put in to earn the money i'd want a lot before I was paid to run one of these  

19/04/2013 at 21:51
Hi Trigger, good news from physio, glad it's all going well. Know what you mean about knee supports - I think I had a bit of a reliance on using one, maybe more pschological than anything!
Hey Steph, times are coming on fabulously! I'm enjoying the bike again, used to be in to it a fair bit ( Forces days - many years ago!) and can't complain as nice flat north Warwickshirel countryside beckons!
I had a Boardman hybrid a couple of years ago ( the female specific version) and have to say, it was a great bike to get me back into it, but if you get into any interest in covering distance, a road bike will be better. I found the Boardman a little heavy once I started to put some miles in, but again, if you want to do a little gentle off roading, the hybrid should be good.
Btw, any thoughts on the ladybower series, I've only just realised they are doing a 20 miler on the same day as the 35 and 50 ultras (22 sept) and am rather tempted I have to say! Build up to the plan of an ultra next year!
Glad to hear you have had good response from charity re VLM 2014, I shall go down the ballot application again - 29th marked in the diary.
Hello AG, some good advice! Sounds like this is of some experience! And glad to see you are recovering well from your coma, sub 2.15 on Sunday then? And in your hospital gown? (Inserts appropriate emoticons at this stage, thanks for your help iPad)
19/04/2013 at 22:02

Thanks for the comment re the boardman bike.

That doesn't help now i'm really stuck but to be honest I don't think i'm ever going to be seting any time trial records and chances are that i'm going to be off road with oh and dog as much as on road work is only 400m away but hey should make cycling to work easy I was thinking i could get something like that with two sets of wheels one with slick tread and the other knobbly.  I should be able to get the bike n helmet on cycle to work so that would help a lot with the costs.

19/04/2013 at 22:18
You can get some great deals with CTW! But don't need to be tied to Hafords- that said, I found the customer service excellent. If all you want is to get into it, in a decent bike, I'd for the hybrid and enjoy! If you get into it, you can always make the decision to go for a road bike if you feel you want to start doing a bit of distance. And to this, I'd add you can get some good buys off eBay (I got my CF Orbea frame on a badly listed item for a steal!)
Once I started to do more than 25 miles on a ride, I found the hybrid a bit too heavy, but seeing as you already do a fair few miles on your feet, that just might not appeal as you'll probably just want to make the bike supplementary to your training rather than a significant part if it.
20/04/2013 at 13:52

Just back from hols and catching up in the thread. Steph, your enthusiasm is spreading and am sure you'll do the right plan on the day and that sub 5 hours is waiting for you

AG, good luck for tomorrow I saw Mo on TV last night and even though he is just running a half (I'm in the not cricket group with this) he said he'd probably still be behind you when he dropped out. If this years VLM is the same as last for me I'll probably do 3 hours (then turn over and watch the Snooker).

Had a planned 13.1 miles for today but suffering from jet lag (and only flew from France) so going to chill this weekend then start afresh next week.

20/04/2013 at 18:08

Also back from Hols and catching up (nice week north of the border in Galloway Forest).

Sounds like things are getting better Steph - congrats on passing the 1000K!

Re - bikes, I thought I'd mention I bought a cyclocross bike (Kona Jake the Snake) a couple of years ago - almost as light as a roadbike,105 chainset, but can handle all the off road/mountain bike stuff I throw at it (off road brakes, solid frame, swap wheels to knobblies) - certainly an option worth a thought?

5K race for me next weekend - not been doing much on holiday though, a couple of 6 milers and some hiking to keep fresh.  Incredibly hilly HM (Eyam) mid May as my next target.

21/04/2013 at 08:43
Cheers re bike

14km in 91m last night. Don't think I could keep that up, for a 4:35 mara, but hope to be down to 4:30/4:40 for London next year.
Anyway... 2 weeks tomorrow, so according to my an I have a total of only 22k next week and that's what I will try to do. Leg is getting better which is great, not perfect but I know that it's healing which is great

Sat in bed being a lazy cow and going to watch the VLM. Next year.... Myasthenia Gravis I'll be running for. (My mum had it, lots live nearly normal lives but she had complications)
21/04/2013 at 10:19

Hello Daeve and Andi, sounds like you both had great holidays! Same as you in that I've not done much, actually, in my case no running, for past couple of weeks as am trying to rest foot cos of plantar. I've been cycling instead and really getting back into that, but going to try a few gentle runs this week as Loughborough half and Rothley 10k are not too far away now.

Steph, glad to hear your knee is well on the mend, like you, watching the VLM and feeling just a little bit envious! Will go for the ballot again, but found the fund raising for last year was really difficult as didn't get my entry until February, but glad it gave me the chance to take part. Sounds like you are doing the right thing by planning your entry with the charity which should give you a great opportunity to raise some funds - a worthy cause - I had a search for Myasthenia Gravis as wasn't aware of it.

Good luck with the last phase of training for MK - just think, by the time VLM 2014 comes around, it'll be your fourth!

21/04/2013 at 11:04
I know that is crazy isn't it. Well hope injury doesn't mess anything up
24/04/2013 at 18:46

First run in over two weeks for me today, just a couple of laps of local reservoir (about 7.5 km) Did't bother to pace it but just under 50 mins so very steady!but at least no niggles at the end. And enjoyed it, makes you realise how much you miss it!

Hows training going all?

24/04/2013 at 20:55
Jen Hart wrote (see)

Hows training going all?

Very frustratingly  Signed up for a Sports Science trial at work to help a colleague out, but had to do no excercise 3 days before and 3 after, so yesterday morning ran for 2 hours at 11.1 kph (5:24 min/km) on a treadmill - 13.8 miles... SOooo mindnumbingly difficult with a 12 hour fast before and 2 hour fast after.  I could have run 15 or 16 miles outdoors with less issues, but the monotony of gait and the excessive heat (even with 2 fans) made it harder than I've found it before.

Aching like mad today with dodgy knee and I've a 5K race on Saturday, not really the best "taper" for it

Realised after being weighed/measured for it I'm almost an inch shorter than I've thought I was for years - coming in at 181 rather than just over 183cm, and I've put on a couple of Kg since my initial weigh in nearly a month ago.

New Plan for 2013 - lose ~10kg/1.5st before the Berlin Marathon in September, starting after the 5K on Saturday so I may have lost some before my next HM May 19th. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.