From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

561 to 580 of 3,313 messages
01/05/2013 at 22:31

Steph, maybe? try and work them into your recovery runs after the Marathon? I wore them back from France the other week and by the time I was on the Ferry home (12 hours into the journey) I felt I should be apologising to the other travellers - the word rancid springs to mind Customs had fun with them though

02/05/2013 at 18:35

3 and a half days to go.....

driving myself mad already. Might just go and buy some hair dye and go bright pink again! Hehe

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 18:35
02/05/2013 at 18:48

Hope it's not too warm for you booktrunk.  Rest well!

02/05/2013 at 20:08

Yeah, typical looks like it might actually be boiling!! Got some high5 salt/electrolyte tablets, get a 330ml bottle of water each 3m, so will try to remember to stick a tablet in before drinking if it's hot.

02/05/2013 at 23:04

Boiling? I rang my Mum up tonight and it's cracking the flags on the Wirral and apparently England is having a mini heatwave? 3 degrees C here, storms, high winds and (again) the Ferries are cancelled

High five for the High Fives Steph I use them when I get back from runs over 6 miles, not sure if it's wise to take one every 3 miles mind??

Sometimes I hate living on an Island, my shiny new Garmin FR910XT has been 'out for delivery' with the courier for 3 days now

02/05/2013 at 23:22

Good thinking I'll actually read how often I should take them I know that I get nice n sweaty as my dog loves licking the salt off me when I come back from a decent run! 

Behave!!! Only from the bits not covered by my clothes!! 

Ohhh 910 nice!!! Now my 610 is feeling jealous seriously I love my garmin, just wish I was a bit better at sticking to the speeds I tell it to tell me I should be running at

Really looking forward to running with a pacer at MK on Monday I've never done that. 

02/05/2013 at 23:45

lol Steph but, surely you 'glow' rather thn sweat?

Yup, the 610 was #1 on my list for a while, reviews show it as a great watch but a (very) good friend bought it for me as an early birthday present and I've learnt not to argue with a women Don't think the 610 has vibrate on it like the 910? (ooeeerr missus).

As for the pacer, will he keep telling you "you are ahead by 15 seconds" like the 610 does?

02/05/2013 at 23:53

Hehe he will probably be saying get your lazy arse into gear or we are dumping you this is at about 12k knowing me! 

Yawn, night xxx

oh got my brekkie sorted for sat / sun and day of mara. Bagel with salmon and philly.

tea Saturday and Sunday is homemade pasta   Oh and fish and chips Friday night, sod healthy eating. 

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 23:55
02/05/2013 at 23:57

Good luck Steph!  Had a hilly 4 miler tonight and thought - glad I'm not doing a marathon this weekend, then I remembered you were on Monday as it felt tough (not done enough miles recently).

I'm sure you're ready and will enjoy it.

03/05/2013 at 00:07

lol Steph but am sure you'll be fine! still going with the 5hr pacer? Love the sound of your pre race meals!

Daeve, silly Q but what do you (and other peeps) consider hilly? I think all my runs are hilly and a 4 mile run is usually around an 800ft incline but get the bonus of the same decline (mainly) on the way home Just looked at Garmin connect and it tells me my 500 miles this past 11 months had a vertical ascent of 7.2 miles.

03/05/2013 at 00:30

4 miles 282 m elevation gain/925 feet deliberately up and down a few times.  Generally I consider it hilly with more than 50m ascent per 3 miles. I realise you live somewhere very hilly, but Leicestershire is not so much except the bit where I live!  Trying to train on a few hills for Eyam in 2 weeks:

http://runnerdan.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/my-activities-16-05-2010-elevation-time1.jpg

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 00:32
03/05/2013 at 01:09

Yup, that looks hilly to me daeve! and yes, Leicestershire isn't known for it's hills I'd love to be able to find (even) a 1k flat route to run on close by and just hope I can cope with the flat bits on the Loch Ness Marathon (actually a net decline) I guess that makes a change from peeps worrying about hills

Good luck for Eyam

03/05/2013 at 10:03

This is funny my race is 10 am Monday and so i've got 72 hours to go, and yet i'm almost in a state of panic now, way more nervous then my first. 

I'm puting a little bit of the blame for this on my stupid knee, and all the rest on me, I keep saying there is nothing I can do about it now just get out there and see how it goes.

But, try telling my nerves that   Well I know even though i'm slightly undercooked with my stupid knee I can do half in a respectable time, even if I have to bloody limp the 2nd half if I do the first half in 2.5hours that leaves me 4 hours to do the last 13.1 to beat the sweeper to the finish line that would be about 11 minutes per km. I can do that.... I will finish  (I HOPE) sorry i'm being a completely insane person today!!

I should still be thinking positively, when my knee isn't bad my plans said i could get as low as 4:30something so I can do this sub 5 here i come........... maybe!

03/05/2013 at 10:13

Ohhhh.... I have decided to deploy my secret weapon (not so secret now i guess).

I'm going to go for it with the bright pink hair dye again, unfortunatly because it's hot and the bright ones are only temporary i'm probably going to be covered in pink hair dye by the finish but i'll wear a pink top so hopefully not to noticable, but this could be quite funny as I might just become one really bright pink blob.

03/05/2013 at 17:39

Hope the knee doesn't cause you too many problems on the day booktrunk.  I can empathise - I got the letter from my physio and am off to the GP on Thursday to see if he will refer me for an ultrasound.  The knee is tender all the time and I'm only doing max 5k at the moment.

I laughed at the thought of the dye.  It happened to my mum once when she didn't rinse her hair properly and when she went out it rained and caused dark brown rivulets down her face.  It wasn't a good look.

Gentlemen those are some hills!

Hope you all enjoy the long weekend 

03/05/2013 at 20:09

Steph, only knowing you through your profile pic I thought you always had your hair pink anyways so go for it

trigger, hope all goes well with the knee and they (finally) sort it out and you can get back to distance again

Well, 910xt arrived today so spent all afternoon playing with it - some cool features not on the 405cx and it seems pretty user friendly. Gonna go out with both watches for a few runs to see how they compare.

03/05/2013 at 21:17

Well.... After my nervous/manic feelings this morning I decided to go for my last run tonight. I did 10.6km so 1/4 of the marathon and it was perfect! I was really controlled a bit faster then I should behave been but was really controlling my breathing! 

I took 69 minutes and was hardly puffing at all at the end of it. I really concentrated and talked to myself a lot more then usual saying relax and I let my arms swing which is probably a waste of energy but I felt awesome. 

So happy with it. So that's it nothing else except 3 breakfasts of bagels, two lunches no idea what and home made pasta Saturday and Sunday evenimg

03/05/2013 at 21:47

woohoo, sounds like the perfect last run and a boost to your ego for Monday

03/05/2013 at 21:49

Brilliant - relaxed is the way.  Monday will be loads of fun

04/05/2013 at 08:25

Sounds like you're in a good place booktrunk "Keep calm and carry on!"

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.