From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

41 to 60 of 3,374 messages
10/06/2012 at 21:10
Just keep at it booktrunk. Believe in yourself and the plan and you'll get there. Just keep knocking off small milestones in the plan and don't focus too much on the actual 26.2 mile run. You will make breakthroughs in fits and starts.

My 0 to Marathon in 21 weeks ended today at the Wales Marathon. Really hilly course, but when things got tough I thought back to the traning. Finished in 3.02 with 13 mins to spare for my over 40's Good For Age time. Next stop London!
10/06/2012 at 22:06
Bloody brilliant well done, and thanks for the advice
11/06/2012 at 22:00
5k two days in a row. Resting now, another 5k Friday, and 7k sunday.

Happy that I have managed it twice in a row, now giving the body 3 days recovery time.
Steph
12/06/2012 at 00:38

booktrunk

It's good you are giving your body a good recovery, this is the key to fitness - Rest. 4 runs a week is enough for your first marathon.  Your 7ks will become 10ks then 12ks, 15ks etc then it will be miles - 10,12,14,16,18. 

I would completely ignore anyone telling you about how hard the training is - this is simply negativity.  You can do it and that is all that matters.  The worst part of a marathon is the training but not the marathon itself - you will be greatly surprised your performance on race day. 

The training is the key.  Build up to 18 miles and you will complete the marathon. When you get to long distances in training 14 miles or more, give yourself a break every other week to the next long run.  Recovery is the Key.

12/06/2012 at 04:29
Absolutely agree with above. Recovery time is when the body is adapting to the new distances you are breaking through. No recovery results in no adaptation, results in overtraining, and then likely injury. Small stepping stones, no great leaps in the distance and you will get there.
12/06/2012 at 20:28
I love you guys this is priceless info, and helps make me feel good about my training.
14/06/2012 at 16:46

I'm not really panicing, but........ I just realised that it's 4 months today that I run my first Marathon.

I'm going to do a 5K tonight out of nervousness  

Sunday is my first 7K then I have a few of them upto the 1st of July when I have my first 10K but it's starting to feel real now that it is only 4 months away.  One third of a year.

For all of you that are in a similar position to me, I have to say it's scary and fantastic all at once.  121 days 16hours and 30 minutes   

I don't know if I want to jump up and down with excitement or if I want to curl up in a ball and cry.  The excitement side always just wins out, and hopefully when i've got a few longer runs under my belt the confidence cannot help but rise.

Not really a run related post, just a post on the emotional side of running a marathon. 

Have fun all of you that are in similar positions.

I wonder if the excitement wears off after a few marathons, or if it's then just as exciting about personal bests, or going to  say a different part of the country, or a different country to run one.

Steph

14/06/2012 at 22:02
Happy had a slow but very well controlled 5k.

Around the same time as 3 of my previous 4. But!! I was so under control, I kept my breathing relax, and just felt fantastic at the end, walked a mile to warm down and within 2 minutes of starting to walk hear rate was back down to quite low for me, it actually felt like a stroll 2 weeks ago when I did first 5k was a slog.
14/06/2012 at 22:20

What an inspirational thread!  Well done, booktrunk, you've got some balls.  Please stay injury free and get over that line.  

I'm not as brave as yourself; I plan to do my first marathon in April 2013!  Thats couch to marathon in about 18 months.

14/06/2012 at 22:28
<grin> 18 months is probably more sensible yes, my biggest fear is injury, my hardest problem is not running to much, but it's all about that line on 14th October. Then I can do pb's at 5k etc... Until I do this thing everything else takes a back seat
15/06/2012 at 00:50

You can do it booktrunk!  Ignore any negative comments about a marathon being a serious undertaking that you can't do.  Ignore it completely.   You are a serious runner and that is all that matters - continue with your training.  My best marathon time was based on 3 qualtity runs a week after years of 4/5 day sessions that got me nowhere.  "Rest" is so important.

15/06/2012 at 07:29
You are doing great, well done you

Im very much in the same situation, i started back running in March this year after having my little girl, was up to 5 miles and got an injury was out for about 5weeks then my marathon programme started, i am into week six and with just over 17 weeks to go, im up to around 9 miles on my LSRs.

My advice is keep going, remember to take your rest days and increase milage slowly to avoid injury (i learnt the hard way)

Well done again and good luck!
15/06/2012 at 08:36

morning all,

whoever said this is an inspirational thread was right! i have just read thru from my last visit and feel v excited just by reading it - do you think there might be a vicarious calorie loss here??? i really do feel good??? lol

Steph, you're doing sooo well, of COURSE you're a runner, my god, you're running over 5k! regularly and improving all the time - YOU ARE A RUNNER.

i'm earth-bound again for a while - plantar fasciitis is killing me, even walking.

still, i'll be back . . . .

any tips or tricks to healing would be appreciated - i do the stretching, but walk everywhere so cant 'rest' much.

good luck to everyone

16/06/2012 at 22:12
Well that was a bloody stupid idea!

I decided to do it today instead of Sunday due to bad forecast. Anyway, drove to a river where dog can run with me. My first 7k..

The first and last two k were through fields that were waterlogged, the water was over my ankles for most of the run. Ghod. I have never been so tired in my life. Had to walk for 50-60m three times, bloody horrendous but did 7k.

I am totally shattered, with that and a warm down walk my garmin 610 says I burnt off 800 calories.

Steph
17/06/2012 at 09:32
Ohh sore left thigh this morning, and it's great weather!! How typical want to run again now, but know I should recover from yesterday, might end up doing a very slow 2 or 3 k just as a relax to get the kinks out from yesterday...

Ouch very sore thigh, defiantly no running. Time to just relax, and leave it until Tuesday.
Edited: 17/06/2012 at 09:38
18/06/2012 at 22:42
Bloody hell, that was fun!!

I did my 7k tonight, did not stop once, I am slower than a snail and possibly slower than some people's walking BUT I did 7k in 57:27 and I did not stop or walk once.

I am over the moon, if I do that x 6 then I'll complete it I have come a long way I think in 7 weeks, I think I norms have 17 weeks to go and cannot contain my excitement.
Steph
18/06/2012 at 23:17

I'm really enjoying this post; keep on typing up your progress, Steph.

Inspired by your progress, I've swapped marathons from Apr 2013 to one in Jan 2013 (Gloucester marathon). I'm just working on my basic fitness; not building on the miles on my long run till about September; though I can run about 10 miles now.

What is your basic weekly running shedule, just out of interest?

18/06/2012 at 23:54
I have a plan from asics that is 3 days a week I'm looking at possibly fitting a short but hard 4th run in. I have a dog and on the weekend day I am not running I've now started taking her for a 10k+ walk.

On my plan. 19k this week, 22 next, then 28, 32, 21 (rest week) 32, 25, 37 etc...

At the moment until my first 10k there are no speed runs just building distance, July I am meant to build a bit of speed.

I am thinking I need to do other sorts of training? But I Don't really know what, and to be honest it's all about surviving and getting my first marathon out of the way, and then I guess spending more time on good things for my body.

Steph
19/06/2012 at 06:36
I am really enjoying reading your progress! Keep going, you are certainly inspiring me.
I've torn my soleus and it hurts to walk, physio and been told to rest, it's agony not being able to train.

Make sure you recover between runs, it's so important (wish I'd listened!)
19/06/2012 at 08:58

ooo i do so envy you all!

its a lovely sunny morning here in newark and i am still earth-bound.

i have gel heel pads and ibuprofen gel, and the promise of an injection if required, for my p.f.

but in the meantime  . . . .

steph you're an inspiration! bet your dog doesnt know whats hit it!

walking is a good balance to running, as we know, same muscles in different intensity and movement, plus using others.

time to think about movement.

if you have your dog off the lead at all, exaggerated arm movements through whole range, under control (not loose swinging till warm down) will add upper body too. just a thought . .

(not a very interesting post. but i enjoy all of your runs vicariously, well done!)

41 to 60 of 3,374 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.