From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

641 to 660 of 3,103 messages
10/05/2013 at 22:51

All this even pace stuff is weird because the reality is nothing like that, well not for my races   I mean I did 2:20:30 for the first half and 2:35.43 so it's not even but in the hot weather it's better to get a little ahead

I think you are going to have a wonderful first marathon What one is it again? Is it the loch ness one?

10/05/2013 at 22:59

Yup, Loch Ness and a net decline though being in the Highlands it's not flat! I read that there are 3 'hard' hills, the third being 2 miles long at about mile 19 so that will be a killer. Searched Garmin Connect but not found a course with details. 

I know what you mean about the getting ahead however, although I've never run that far I do wonder if an even split would get you round in the same time? or, dare I say it stick to MP then if your feeling ok go for a negative split?

10/05/2013 at 23:03

Andi: Going for the negative split does seem to be the 'ultimate' way to do it.  But I don't know how many achieve that in their first marathon?Mind you, you are doing it properly

It's two weeks before my 2nd leicester marathon but i've been really tempted to do this. It looks a lot of fun.  I'm on the email list so got my email about it today.

10/05/2013 at 23:20

ooops, forgot you had that was well, so, tapering for that already Got a target time for this or just beating last year?

Just worked out your 1st 2nd half splits, 10:41mm  &  11:50mm so maybe you did go out too fast though not so fast you blew up? Am in danger of over analyzing things and just need to buckle down and train hard but wisely.

10/05/2013 at 23:32

Yeah struggled between 27-33km was better after that

but in the heat I was happy, others with a lot quicker plan seemed to struggle. So I was quite content. 

I had two 8m plus splits. So need to improve on my stamina.

hoping to do 4:29 for it

10/05/2013 at 23:36

I run in Km's for pacing rather than miles but I guess I need 10:15 per mile.

I really need to get my 10k below 60m as that would really give me a confidence boost.

10/05/2013 at 23:42

Yes, that will be a big boost! Macmillan (love or hate him) reckons 57:33 for a 10k if your Marathon is 4:30

I'm on the 10k in under 60 minutes thread and lots have done it but I'm still a long way off

10/05/2013 at 23:47

Macmillan was spot on with my half to full time.

10/05/2013 at 23:55

Yup saw that though not sure he'd have come up with the same splits as you Either way am in awe of someone with 2 marathons under their belt - am well impressed

I'm just a wannabee Marathoner

11/05/2013 at 00:03

The key to running a marathon is self control also known as being bloody stubborn

11/05/2013 at 09:35

Oooh. I've just signed up for Milton Keynes again in 2014 (3 weeks I think after London). So my last LSR will be the VLM

TLA heaven

11/05/2013 at 09:51
booktrunk wrote (see)

I run in Km's for pacing rather than miles but I guess I need 10:15 per mile.

Well there's your problem! There are a lot more Km's in a marathon than miles.. I always think 42 is more of a psychological wall than 26!

Sucker for punishment eh?  I admire your marathon tenacity, not sure I'd fancy one 3 weeks after London - but then you've done the training by then so why waste it?

Edited: 11/05/2013 at 09:52
12/05/2013 at 10:12

So booktrunk - did you get your bike yet?  What model is it?  I'm getting my OH a new one next month but torn between getting her a specific geometry woman's road bike or just a small man's (though doubt the frames go down that small - at least no online stores seem to for men's or "unisex bikes).  I've to spend next week convincing her that drop bars are far better than straight due to the numerous hand positions.

After Eyam I think I'll switch my tyres back to roadies (cyclocross bike) and get out more - I've never really used it bar on holidays or the occasional weekend away - pity really as it has a half decent 105 set on it so deserves more use.

Reading back about McMillan - it's surprisingly accurate for me from my half time (no more than 20 seconds out all the way down to my mile time where it is 10 seconds too long) - only for my marathon time is it miles off but that's me and not enough endurance training.

12/05/2013 at 10:32

Chris boardman fi mountain bike. If she's tall then not sure if much difference but being short 5ft 3 bars are a bit closer and the crank is shorter.

Decided to get the mountain bike then when paid off can get another bike on scheme going for a road bike then. But fancy a bit more fun, with my first one

12/05/2013 at 17:15

Yeah 5'2"-3" so maybe best not to go with a man's bike.  Just been reading DCRainmakers blog again and almost inspired to look at Tri's next year...

12/05/2013 at 18:13

Yup, that DCRainmaker guy's got a lot to answer for!

Steph, you'll be into marathon double figures in a couple of yeas at this rate

Ok, bad lad here missed his LSR today (1st week of training too). I'm guessing if I do it tomorrow then the extra mileage on the week wouldn't be that bad considering today became a rest day?

12/05/2013 at 23:49

No run today... Days overtime went a little wrong, left pre 7am just got in a couple of minutes ago ;( bloody computers

14/05/2013 at 18:37

Cannot decide... Thinking of maybe going wild and getting my arse out of bed to do my first park run this Saturday. But, then again it's my only day off in about 12 days. (Busy, is good I guess).

14/05/2013 at 20:28

Sorry about yesterdays run Steph And when I was near a Park Run I never once made it! Doing one should help your speed work so I vote 'get out of bed and run'

14/05/2013 at 20:49

Go for it! Have only done 3 park runs, but enjoyed them all, hoping to start again this weekend.  I'm just back into training again after a couple of weeks off. taking it steady as just had X-ray to make sure foot problems are not stress fracture and if so, will try the route of cortisone injection.

Anyway, I'm impressed by all the pacing/ tech talk! And it's great to hear how it's all helping.

Daeve, I'm only 5'4" and my bike frame is a 51cm which suits me fine. I did start off with a Boardman hybrid that was female specific (small frame) and that was an excellent start, got me into enjoying cycling, but prefer road bikes now.

Steph,  thumbs up for VLM 2014 being your last LSR before MK! I'm not worried about it as assume won't get through the ballot anyway!

and who is this DCRainmaker? Will be checking that out!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.