From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

61 to 80 of 3,260 messages
19/06/2012 at 10:32

This is such a great thread - way to go Steph!

I'm also a beginner and running my first half marathon in October. Reading your updates has been so inspirational - thank you!!

Best of luck and I will be following you all the way.  

19/06/2012 at 15:41

Hiya

I have really enjoyed reading this thread! You are an inspiration! Good luck Not that you will need it, you really are doing super! You should be very proud of yourself

Reading threads like this make me even more motivated!

How are you finding your garmin watch? x

19/06/2012 at 16:02

Thanks for all the comments.

Sarah Rowe: Thanks for the tip when walking the dog, that makes sense.  In the last week i've really started to notice and feel the effects on my upper body from running, which is an unexpected bonus.

Mrs Portou 2 Be: regarding my watch I totally love it!  I have the Garmin 610 and i've customised the home screen so it has 4 stats.  Overall Time, Overall Distance, Current Lap Speed (I have the laps set at 1 km), and my current heart rate.

It's great for example looking at my 7k from last night and I could see that the effort was very consistent.  I was around 136bpm for my first k and slowly progressed to around 152bpm by the end of the run.  Because I have the 4 stats that interest me on one screen i don't have to mess around changing it at all. 

The one thing that i'm not doing a lot is using the virtual runner, but I fancy doing thist this week, or next. I want to set myself a small 2 mile challenge on a rest day just to try one quick run, because I think it would do my confidence good if I can force out a short quick run, so that I know I can do it if I need to.  My one and only weakness with my watch at times is when I get tired I start looking at it a bit to often counting down the distance   But when I started i was doing this every 200m, now I don't even glance at it for the first 2k except when it buzzes at the end of each K just to see my speed.

Oh the one thing I do recommend with running is not watch scary TV Programs about horrible things just before running.  I watched a series of Cracker on DVD just before going running that was about rape, and had all sorts of dark thoughts in my head for the first half of the run. Completely silly I know

Toots: your welcome, if I have any advice to anyone just starting (from my whole 7 weeks eperience) it's just this... keep going, even if it's a bad run, when you are slow, your legs ache, and you feel that it's not achieving anything, just keep plodding along, and it's all part of the learning experience. I think we all need the odd stinky run, so we can appreciate what happens when it gets hard, and we learn how to cope and just keep going.

Cheers everyone.

19/06/2012 at 22:47

glad i could offer something back to you, i get alot from your postings.

nordik walking (with the poles) is another good one which uses same muscles and others in a different way.

24/06/2012 at 11:15
Oh wow.. Got carried away on my 7k today. I turned it onto a 10k.

YIPEEE!!!

Utterly knackered 5k was ina very fierce headwind, so really happy, was meant to wait to next weekend for first double figures but just felt good and wanted to see if I could do it. Might post a bit more later I am so over the moin 50 odd days from my first stagger and I managed 10k.

I'm rather happy

Steph.... Bath time now
24/06/2012 at 13:08
Well done steff. I'm enjoying reading your progress it's interesting and highly motivating for beginners. I've just started running 6 weeks ago but not following a plan as yet as the Edinburgh marathon is in may13 so I'm just getting used to running first. Done 10k this morning also only running once a week just now but going to gently increase days and milleage. Keep it up you are doing awesome and are an inspiration to a lot of people here
24/06/2012 at 18:22
So....

More relaxed, and chilled out now. Watched England win at Cricket and and Golf.

I am even more elated, with it now than I was earlier, for the last few days I've been struggling with a really achy thigh, and I wasn't sure I could even do 2k today, but I ain't going to wimp out. I love HTFU

So ran it and it felt good. I walked home then within 20 minutes jumped in the bath and now my legs are slightly stiff but not much at all and no achy muscles at all.

So, just keep going with the plan, I have a 7k on Tuesday, 5k Friday and another 10k Sunday. Might move the midweek to we'd not Tuesday if I really suffer tomorrow, but will just have to wait and see.

Oh I have developed this really weird and embarrassing habit, wonder if anyone else has it, when I am trying to relax and take a long breath out I sometimes end up almost like a horse breathing out and my lips wobble and I almost sound horsey, I almost have to stop running and laugh at myself.

Steph
25/06/2012 at 08:54

morning steph . . . .

laughter is good exercise??? lol!

i dont think you need to worry . . . .  until you start fancying the grass at the side of your running route . . .

26/06/2012 at 22:49
Well... After my glorious 10k back to earth with a bump

Attempted my 7k tonight didn't finish first run I've not completed. Just felt like s**t.

Found my chest was tight and thigh is burning and rather painful.

Solved half of it... Don't do the bra up tighter just because you are getting skinnier.... Seriously what a stupid idiot I am felt awful.

Needed more breathing room I think

Bit worried about the thigh, walked home after doing 4.5k and actually iced it for 20 minutes, very stiff but don't run again until Friday which is only 5k!!

Oh also had some really frustrating news I have to go to new York for work for a week. Great!! But not when I am seriously dieting and training. I really don't need the distraction.

Weight wise... 13 weeks and 34 lbs lighter. Weigh in is tomorrow morning, possibly on for a big 3lb loss... If so then I will be about 6 to 7 lbs away from being overweight and not obese.

Will keep plodding along. Regarding the thigh it's the lower front of my left thigh just above the knee. Fingers crossed rest should help.

Steph
26/06/2012 at 23:31

well done steph!

good luck for weigh-in tomorrow.

i managed to do a session from my couch to 5k programme today! i'm so pleased i tried it. it went ok, but foot still not 100% - but never mind - i RAN!

yippee!

27/06/2012 at 05:28
That is brilliant.

It's great isn't it. The freedom and just knowing that you can do it.

Oh, and the energy you get... Which is why I'm awake doing this post at 5:30.my leg doesn't feel to stiff which is good.

Dog is in a good mood as well she is up and bouncing around the garden already. She has been on a diet as well.
27/06/2012 at 22:11

yeah its great - i'll try again on friday.

walking has been a bit painful today, but i'm SURE i'm getting better, lol!

29/06/2012 at 20:28
Friday night relaxed jog... Remrmber i am the worlds slowest.... Got 10k Sunday, so 5k tonight. I decided not to look at my garmin at all as I spend to long staring at it.

So ran the 5k walked another 2 home to cool down. Then looked at my watch

1st k 7:59
2nd k 8:00
3rd k 7:59
4th k 7:54
5th k 8:05

Without looking or having any idea.

Steph
29/06/2012 at 22:39

evening steph

well done on your times, were they what you expected?

i ran this morning, back home before 7.30. i'm glad i went but my foot has been terribly painful all day. pain is exhausting and i feel v down

i am going to ask doc for injection on tues morning, tho i have great anxiety about it.

i'll see how i feel on sunday if i run again or not.

29/06/2012 at 22:49

Ohhh, hope your foot is ok!!  Fingers crossed they can help you with it.

Yes, I was content with those times, quite windy and hot after work, pleased with how consistent I am. 

I'm scared for the first time to be honest, read stuff about probably expecting to do second half of marathon around 1.3 x the speed of the first half so know that  I need to get my arse in gear and speed up a bit. 

I've had a slight muscle pull all week and was actually worried about it but it's fine when I run it's just stiff if i sit in a chair at work for an hour or two. When i stand up it feels like it just wants to collapse but feels weight bearing after a few seconds, just being a wimp as it's fine when I run.

I work in IT and the more I know, the more i'm aware of what I don't know.  I'm starting to feel like that but out of my depth a bit with regards to running.

It's like I really should look at things that can improve me, like my form when running but i don't have the slightest idea really where to start.  I wonder if I need to get oh to video me running, at least then i'll have a clue if I waddle and roll about anywhere near as much as I feel I do.

Anyway onwards and upwards.

A tired elephant

29/06/2012 at 22:57

Oh... Playing with Garmin, this month i've run and walked 130km

72k of which was running/jogging WOW. It's small fry but hey it's way more then I could have imagined.

29/06/2012 at 23:07

have you had your gait analysed? 'they' take a short video of you running (on a treadmill) for their purposes on analysis.

i did before buying my shoes, but i dont think id want to watch a vid of me running -  i dont think i am a graceful figure making it look effortless! lol

30/06/2012 at 08:11
No I really should, but I'm not sure with the diet if my running is changing and I cannot decide If I should wait until I settle down weight wise.

For example in march when I started dieting waist was 106cm now 88/89 and I'd I suck it all the way in just under 80... Changing so much keep thinking I should wait another month.. But maybe the time has come.
30/06/2012 at 10:03

i've been overweight most of my adult life, and i chose to get gait analysed at start so that i wouldnt do myself any injury (funny ha-ha) running in poor shoes being so heavy. my main reasoning being that as i HAVE to be able to walk everywhere i didnt want to injure myself and then not be able to walk as well!

i'm thinking that my gait will remain the same the lighter i get, but the running will become easier, because they said i have a neutral gait anyway.

you've done so well! (my waist is 122cm!)

30/06/2012 at 10:40
Keep going, because it will start to go with the running, now I am doing longer runs I can actually feel the pull on my tummy muscles, of course you cannot see... But you really do feel it so just keep going and it will start to change
61 to 80 of 3,260 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.